Author Topic: RRTY; A life sentence?  (Read 2460 times)

Martin

RRTY; A life sentence?
« on: 08 February, 2009, 10:07:10 pm »
From my club website; hadn't submitted much recently....

One of the many awards Audax organise is Randonees Round the Year. The rules are simple, you must complete a 200km (or longer) ride which is eligible as an AUK ride in each of 12 consecutive months to gain a special badge and your name on the roll of honour, sounds easy? far from it!

I started the quest back in March 2006 with the Denmead 200; at the time my traditional first 200 of the year. I managed to get all the way round to February 2007 mostly thanks to El Supremo Dave Hudson who organised a special RRTY (the T standing for Tea IIRC) series of 200s which took me all over the South over that winter; although I did do some new (for me) events that year which took me to Wales; Edinburgh and Salisbury Plain. With the intensive training for PBP I carried on through to August of that year and got to November without any problems. However in December the calendar events dried up so I was forced to improvise. A group of us devised a DIY ride around Kent 10 days before Christmas; although the cold and wind took its toll and just 3 of the 7 starters finished; just arriving back in Sevenoaks in time. After a relatively easy 200 around Berkshire at the end of January 2008 there was just one more ride required, so 3 of us elected to ride Dave Hudson’s permanent from Pulborough in freezing early morning conditions.

Things went well with advertised rides until May; but as I was going to France in June I elected to ride another permanent from Hailsham to Liss and back on a sunny and calm Wednesday; this was my first solo 200 and was almost stillborn when my rear tyre exploded 12km out from Hailsham, but I managed to limp to Lewes to buy a spare, the only place that sold one being a lawn mower repair shop!

July brought another solo; this time a one-way 300km following the London- Edinburgh route as far as Thorne and despite being a fine day tried my persistence to the limit with many wrong turns.

As I was in France for 2 weeks again in August I devised another DIY from our holiday home, this went without a hitch but was very hard going on the way back into 80km of dry and dusty headwind. September and October brought 2 of my favourite 200s; the Anfractuous across the Chilterns and Newbury Downs and the (very wet and windy) Hailsham event to Dungeness. November was the month of the Audax AGM and dinner and as it was relatively local in Guildford I devised a “dinner dart” where you are free to make up a 200km route that finishes at the AGM venue; I rode this with fellow PBP vet Billy Weir and starting from home went over Harting Hill then via Denmead Alton and just near Reading; going considerably overdistance to avoid the main roads and finishing in Guildford after 230km. In December I also rode from home; this time to Hailsham and back where I completed Dave Hudson’s Mince Pies and Stollen Christmas 100; this being my first combination of a DIY ride and a calendar event; and it was a welcome boost to be able to ride with many other riders for the middle section (photo taken on the calendar part of that ride)

January brought the Willy Warmer on the very last day of the month; so close to my third RRTY I did not want to risk anything going wrong which would leave me without a ride that month so I rode it a week earlier as a route check with Paul the organiser; just as well as 2/3 of the way round Paul’s front tyre also exploded so I volunteered to ride to Basingstoke to obtain a spare; without which Paul would have had to limp back on the train after a 10km walk.

And finally despite the awful wintry weather of the first weekend of February I managed another “DIY + calendar” from home again to Hailsham to complete my third RRTY. Just 2 more years to go to obtain the exclusive “RRTY x 5” blue badge which only 21 riders in the UK have achieved so far, but will it stop there? !

Chris S

Re: RRTY; A life sentence?
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:34:47 pm »
I was determined not to get suckered into RRTY - but here I am, well and truly suckered in - just starting Year 3  ::-).

Not only that; one's instincts are to try and "purify" one's effort, so I'm trying really hard to ride 12x Calendar events. This is quite hard when events are canceled because of the weather. I'm going to end up relying on the Kennett Valley 200 this month - on the last day of the month  :o.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2009, 11:35:53 pm »
I've yet to manage a 12 x calendar year, life kinda gets in the way. How about a "last possible calendar event of the month" series?

I'd also like to do a whole series out of my region (Winter Solstice etc)

« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2009, 02:58:57 pm »
I was determined not to get suckered into RRTY - but here I am, well and truly suckered in - just starting Year 3  ::-).

Not only that; one's instincts are to try and "purify" one's effort, so I'm trying really hard to ride 12x Calendar events. This is quite hard when events are canceled because of the weather. I'm going to end up relying on the Kennett Valley 200 this month - on the last day of the month  :o.

Why do you consider calendar events 'pure' ? Surely DIYs are more 'pure' YOU have contrived the route, YOU have ridden it. Currently I am on target for a DIYRRTY which to you would be most unpure, tainted, dirty, forbidden.  ;)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2009, 03:07:27 pm »
Probably best to have both a calendar RRTY and a DIYRRTY running. Its the only way to be sure...

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2009, 02:11:23 pm »

Why do you consider calendar events 'pure' ? Surely DIYs are more 'pure' YOU have contrived the route, YOU have ridden it. Currently I am on target for a DIYRRTY which to you would be most unpure, tainted, dirty, forbidden.  ;)

Pure in the sense that, you can't choose when to ride a calendar event so there's more potential (esp in winter) for weather problems.

« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:52:32 pm »
Good work Martin.

I'm happily avoiding RTTY. I've got one ride planned each month but I don't care if I DN[SF] one for any reason.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:16:16 pm »
I think (but stand open to correction) that I was the first to complete a RRTY series entirely using calendar events.  Indeed, my first four years were thus, using a perm for the first time last November (and again in Feb this year, though that is academic as my RRTY is now well and truly bust).

I took the view that the discipline of having to complete a calendar event every month added a certain extra challenge, as there was no possibility of pushing it back a day/week if the weather was inclement.  That does not mean that I think such a series to be more "pure" than any other.  I actually find that discipline helpful - I think I would find it difficult to maintain motivation if I were just using DIY events.