Author Topic: Hard 60 Miles in the Lake District  (Read 1731 times)

Hard 60 Miles in the Lake District
« on: 20 April, 2008, 01:31:48 pm »
8 of us met at 8:15 in Grasmere for an 8:45 start. We headed to Ambleside taking a left towards Kirkstone via the struggle (a swine of climb that one, yuck), down back to Ambleside through Holbeck lane. We had a very welcome stop in front of the Drunken duck pub as it was our rendez-vous point with Allan. Allan was having an interesting day already with a very strong headwind coming from Ulverston and it was his marriage anniversary but was on the bike!

Anyhow, we carried on up Hawkshead hill via Tarns How. Absolutely gorgeous. I will coming back with the girls there soon. A quick descent saw us to Coniston past the sport centre where the Fred Whitton will start in little more than three weeks time. Then the best bit of the ride: strong tailwind, flattish road and perfect surfacing. It would not last.

One "steep bugger" to Broughton Mills and then over Stickle Pike -- Allan's least liked climb in the Lakes. I can understand why. It goes on and on without much in the way of pretty views. The winds were picking up and had a mind of their own going in random directions and gusty. So gusty that I was blown off my bike. No harm done. Only a knock to my left knee. My saddlebag came the worst out of the fall. Fortunately I could attach the quick release back and carry on. The descent to Ulpha was steep and windy with many accounts of near blow off by the winds.

At Ulpha, we all had a well earned stop at the shop. Allan wisely recommended to avoid going over Corney fell but take Birker Fell as Corney Fell would be too exposed. Birker Fell is steep alright (25%) but is quite short. Not the worst climb of the ride.

The worst was to come.

A bit of flat and up Hardknott. Hardknott is horrible. I hate it. The wind made it even worse. Worse than hitting it after 100 miles in the Fred whitton last year. I was struggling even to walk up the 33% incline. At the top everyone was waiting for me sheltered by a lone rock.

I proceeded down Hardknott with extreme care, two hands firmly on the brakes. I did not really want to have another off today. A Cockey Beck Allan turned right to head back to Ulverston and make the most of what was left of today's marriage anniversary. We plodded along, me more than the fit lads. The wind was ridiculous. In the relative flat interim between Hardknott and Wrynose, I was pushing along on the inner ring and granny gear. I had enough. I wanted to go home was daydreaming of warm bath. Not yet. Up Wrynose. Hard... I had to stop a few times to avoid getting pushed back by the wind -- and catch my breath! It was awful. The lads were steaming ahead and were no longer in sight.

Again I descended the steep Wrynose at a slow slow pace. No point in being silly. At the foot of Wrynose east, I saw Brian who was coming back to get me. The lads were worried. Nope I am just slow slow slow and even slower because my confidence and energy levels were very severely in tatter indeed.

A few more climbs over Wallend, Redbank and straight down to Grasmere.

This was the hardest climb of the year and a real knock to my confidence to ride the Fred Whitton this year. I know one thing for certain: I will not start the ride if the weather people forecast an Easterly wind or rain.

Route