Author Topic: RR - New Forest 1000 2006  (Read 3422 times)

border-rider

RR - New Forest 1000 2006
« on: 28 March, 2008, 12:24:47 pm »
Quote from: Mal Volio
Just after finishing

That was hard.

Really quite hilly.  Imagine the Denmead 600 stretched by 66% and the altitude  knob turned to 11.

The dropout rate was around 30%, with some very big audax names amongst them. 

The big problem was sleep.  The 9 pm start time was a real problem for most people and you had to work damn hard to get to the controls to get any sleep at all.

I rode faster than I've ever done before and I managed to do the whole thing on 4 1/2 hours night riding, total.  Apart from the first night, when I went home to sleep :) I rode dawn-dusk and slept 5 hours or so each night.

Most people weren't so lucky and there were plenty arriving at Lymington in the wee small hours and going straight out with minimal sleep.

That's a recipe for failure. 

Report proper, 27 July 2006 :)

Day 1.

I gave a lift down to Andy Tallis (APT from C+), collecting him in Salisbury.  We got to Lymington to find the usual crowd, and tried to put up our tents.  Rather hard to get the pegs into the concrete-hard ground.  I haven't used a tent on an audax before, but it was part of my survival plan.  I really was worried about sleeping on this event: I couldn't think how I was going to survive until I saw the route sheet and realised that it went past the end of our road at about 115 km.  Serendipity, and the makings of a Plan.

What I hadn't counted on was that the average speed for the first day was set at 15 kph, not the expected 13.  Anyway, my plan was to stay with the fastest group I could from the start until the first control at Membury, then shoot off home for a few hours and  - duly rested - claw back the time by riding the next 335 k or so in about 16 hours, to finish in daylight.  The  next day would be 324 k in 15 hours between dawn and dusk, and the final day 231 km from dawn until afternoon.  The tent should ensure I got to sleep - experience of audax overnights in village halls is that sleep is not easy.

I'm not a big fan of  the 9 pm start time.  It's not like PBP where there are many overnight control options: you have to get back to Lymington to sleep no matter how long it takes.  If it takes 36 hours, you've got a problem.  Sleep-deprived riding is a Bad Idea for oh-so-many reasons.

So my plan was designed to allow me to survive.

We had an excellent pasta dinner, with fruit pie and ice cream - catering and support was superb - and assembled for the off.  The pace out of Lymington was startling as we hammered along the flattish New Forest roads at dusk.  I couldn't quite stay with the front group of about 10 riders, but I was just slightly too fast for the second one.  So I was stuck in the no-mans-land between.  But when we hit the lanes after about 20k, it all changed.  Suddenly we had to navigate and see, and that front group couldn't.  They started going backwards and I passed them,  the Solidlights and local knowledge winning out.  I picked up a group of about 6, including Steve Abraham, and they stayed behind me the whole way to Membury.  We were climbing and descending the twisty, gravelly lanes with ease as the Solidlights lit up  the night.  We were the first to Membury - diverting slightly to miss the pointless climb of Marridge Hill out of Ramsbury - and there I left my colleagues.  I got home by just after 1:30, with no attack of the dozies.  First mission accomplished.

Day 2

After a shower and about 2 1/2 hours in my own bed :) I left at 4:30 as the sky was lightening.  I could see well enough to read the routesheet, but I didn't need it on the first 50 k or so.  I descended Blowingstone in sufficient light to be comfortable and blasted off across the Vale of the White Horse.  I figured I was at the back of the field, and my target was to be in-time at the El Supremo "secret" control near Chipping Norton.

I caught the first bunch slewing sleepily across the road just outside Stamford-in-the-Vale and by El Supremo I was well up the field.  The sleep had stood me in good stead and I was a lot faster on the road than most other riders.  Lots of Muntjac deer scampering in the road here :) and a close-up encounter with a heron

I stuffed my face courtesy of El-S and made the round trip to Warwick and back non-stop, overtaking even more audaxers as they snacked in the sunshine at Warwick Services.  I was riding this like a perm: no hanging about at controls, grab a drink and keep rolling; ride to the HRM to maximise pace. 

It was getting seriously hot by now, and the terrain was distinctly lumpy. I pushed on to Cirencester and beyond, and felt a little sleepy in the mid afternoon.  I thought I'd drink my emergency Coke and sit in the sun for 5 minutes for it t kick in - but as I pulled over a small group of familiar faces caught me: Tony Pember, Dave Bartlett and Dick Nutall.  Good company all.  I quickly hopped back on the bike and sat in with them, the company waking me up.  We caught Paul Whitehead on the long climb  out of Collingbourne Ducis and swooped down into the Vale of Pewsey.   

As we headed towards Amesbury, I was conscious that the cafe there closes at 6 so I didn't want to hang about; about 20 k out we were caught and passed by a small group containing Andy Corless, George Hanna, Rob Gray and John Barkman amongst others.  George, John and Rob accelerated off the front, and I made the jump to join them.   We got to Amesbury in good time and at a very fast pace.

After Amesbury the ride got seriously lumpy and I was worried about getting caught in the dark.  I really pushed it along here and got into the New Forest in daylight; the route here was magical with a descent through an arboretum and then a flat run in to Lymington by 9:10 and dusk.  Second mission accomplished :)

Day 3

Up at 4 and out at dawn at 5.  Judith and Pete Marshall hadn't been in long - Judith had been having back and knee problems: the aftermath of a SMIDSY in Cheddar last year.   

I left about the same time as Steve A, but he was flying and I couldn't stay with him.  The run-out to Ringwood is fast and flat and I chatted to APT and Patrick (Grandmaster Flash) here, and then pushed on to pass Tony and Dave and Julian Dyson en route for Shaftesbury.  After this I was on my own all day in the increasingly hilly Mendips. The 10 k climb of Cheddar was OK, but after Nunney Catch (where I was mistaken for Steve A in a garage :)) the lumpiness became extreme, to the point where it was unremittingly, grindingly Dorset. It was also more than a little damp, and windy.

By pulling out all the stops I made it back to Lymington by 9:25, just beating George and John and just behind Steve.  5th back :).  That was good, considering I'd gone astray in the morning and put in an extra 10 k on the Somerset Levels.  Good job it was there and not the Mendips...

I did stop long enough to tell the driver of a stretch Hummer jammed across a mini roundabout in Fordingbridge exactly what I thought of his vehicle :)

Day 4

Clear and still this morning :)

I had this weird deja vu: rolling out across the flat New Forest with the sun climbing into a clear blue sky, mist in the hollows, lakes and groups of grazing animals, the road disappearing into infinity over the horizon, I was reminded overwhelmingly of the Etosha salt pan in Namibia.  Weird indeed.  OK, they were ponies and cows, not zebra and antelope - and I didn't see any lions or rhinos.  Perhaps I was a bit tired.

This was a much less lumpy day, but still far from flat, and familiar territory as it skirted around the Test Valley and over to Reading.  Another day on my own, another ridden in perm mode with minimal stops.  I saw the leaders - including Mike Pain and Martin Lucas, coming away from Reading as I was going in, and I saw most of the rest of the field spread out over the 20-odd km between Mortimer and Hannington as I was on the return leg.

I was convinced I'd be caught so I pushed on apace, stymied only by the screaming headwind in the New Forest - didn't someone promise a flat, fast finish ? - and the level crossing in Lymington.  I finished at about 4:20 and a few more riders drifted in over the next couple of hours, including Patrick and Tony and Dave who arrived just as I was going home, and George, John and Rob who were about an hour behind me.

I packed up the tent and headed home about 6:30.

I got up to the M3 and found it completely seized by the crowds spewing out of a "Game" and country living show in Romsey :(

I headed across country, co-incidently following the route of the 1000 backwards to Sutton Scotney.  I saw a load of riders here and confused many by leaning out of the car and shouting "Allez !"

Peter and Judith were outside Montisfont and Andy/APT had just crossed the main road at Stockbridge (tho' he didn't see me).  Probably on for a finish around 9:30 I'd guess.  Nothing problematic to stop them except that wind....

All-in-all a great route, but far, far hillier than anyone was expecting and with a tremendous attrition rate.

Our own Lynne Gorings-Nayle was a victim of repeated punctures, pump failure and the clock; Andy Corless and Roger Philo also DNF'd - and of course FWN.

Pete Marshall had a wheel trashed by a silly person in a 4x4 and borrowed one from the organiser to finish.

Brian Callow seemed OK - he'd just arrived at Lymington this morning as I was going out but he's a seasoned rider and he'll have rested a while and then pushed on.  Cut-off is about midnight.  I suspect that some will be very close to that indeed.

Next day edit:

Reading this back it sounds a little negative.  It's odd, some of the classic rides hurt at the time and only a few days later do you realise that they were indeed classics.  Even now, already, I feel that I really enjopyed this one.  Yes it was tough, hillier than expected, but the route was absolutely excellent.  Really scenic and almost all on quite little lanes.  I guess an easier ride would have been more main-roady and faster but a lot less fun to ride.

Would I ride it again ? Definitely.  But this time I'd be prepared for a hard time.  In fact, though,  it can't have been too bad: I didn't have to walk anything and I rode 1000 k in 67 hours with about 13 hours sleep.  That's actually quite quick.  I think my average road speed was in excess of 20 km/hr including (non-overnight) controls.

The routesheet was almost perfect (just a mix-up over an info control at the end gets it 999 1/2 points out of a 1000).  That makes a big difference.  Trusting the routesheet makes the whole ride so much easier.

The organisation was first-rate and the Lymington control worked well - mmm, electric showers with unlimited hot water, mmmm, fine food - and the helpers did a stirling job.

I think that without the organisational  excellence it would have been almost impossible to survive with a smile.
[/quote]

border-rider

New Forest 1000 2006, APT's report
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2008, 12:26:41 pm »

Andy Tallis asked me to post this

Lymington 1000km

I never expected this to be an easy ride.   I had begun cycle touring in summer 2004 at 17 and done a 15 day end to end then, at 18 in April 2005, set off to ride nearly 6000m to reach North Cape and get home again.  On my Return from this insanely tough ride (I chose a very bad year for weather) I had joined AUK and within days of getting home rode my first audax: the Wilton West Bay and back 200km.  The rest of that summer was spent working and clocking up 200-340m a week, with up to 200m in individual days, nurturing dreams of entering the great long distance events; PBP, LEL etc.

Once at university in Wales I continued doing my own long rides, but opportunities to enter events never arose.  After exams I headed more or less straight off for a 2700m tour of the UK and Ireland with camping equipment.  Before leaving though, I had put an entry in for this event to act as the 600 for my first ever SR series.  Hardly logical: it stood to reason that the longest ride should come last with a build up, and not be 400km longer than the necessary 600km!  But Phil Chadwick (who made the mistake of having as good website with a contact e mail address and thus had to answer endless questions about lights, tyres etc) had recommended it and all the other 600s were blotted out by the tour, which I was determined to do.

I arrived home 31 days later with 2 weeks left before the start.  Preparation time was limited!  I also had friends to catch up with.  I did the familiar 80m round ride to visit my grandparents, one 110 mile ride, an evening pub run with friends and a final 18 miles (down some flooded roads) to familiarise myself with the Amesbury control.  I did ride into town multiple times though to visit my local bike shop.  Otherwise I tried to just rest as much as I could.  Of primary concern was my pathetic lack of speed.  I could keep trundling pretty reliably after lugging panniers round the British Isles for a month, but couldn’t go very fast for any length of time and so wouldn’t be able to build up much time for resting.  I was going to have to ride as the proverbial slow and steady tortoise.  My lack of experience at sleep depravation compounded this and the heat wave wasn’t encouraging either.

Phil kindly gave me a lift down, as well as lots of advice.  I felt daunted among so many well known AUKs, their names familiar from my reading of Arrivee and indulging in internet forums when I should have been studying biology.  There were, of course the expected comments about my age and high touring mileages, which others seemed confident should see me through.  I still had my doubts though.

I left towards the back of the field having been fussing with the bike right up till the last minute and tagged onto a group.  Having drunk lots of water before going I was soon forced to stop but another group came by which I joined.  The same happened again and I grabbed the chance to eat some malt loaf from my rack pack to see me to Membury.  I caught up with them by the El Supremo secret control  (wouldn’t have bothered with the malt loaf if I’d known it was there).  After a good feast, I left ahead of them to ride alone.  This removed the pressure to keep up on flats and climbs while allowing me to make full use of my excellent lighting set up (Schmidt and Solidlights LED headlamp with petzl head torch) on the descents and for reading signposts.  Quite soon I saw some lights in the distance, then caught up them.  The rider had broken a spoke. A bit of twiddling with my spoke key had his wheel true enough for us to plod on together.  We were soon caught up by the group and was again lost for a time in a crowd of lights and reflective vests.  Everyone then charged off in a direction other than the route so I was alone again – something I quite enjoyed – till near Membury.  Here I had a coffee and apple in the company of another rider before discovering his lock (wrapped around our machines) had seized.  Fortunately it was only a flimsy little steel cable and the mini pliers I carry for adjusting brake cables got through in under a minute (take heed those who use these things.)

Back on the road we rode with the same large group into the dawn, passed riders asleep at the roadside (I surprisingly felt perfectly awake didn’t have to stop at all.)  We were also passed by a very spritely Phil Chadwick on his titanium fixie, with a nice sleep in his own bed behind him.  The group sort of broke up and I ended up with a couple of riders called Peter and Julian for the rest of the way to the El Supremo secret control at Chipping Norton where we feasted and I enjoyed 5 minutes sitting with my eyes shut.  We continued together in the increasing heat to Warwick services (they walked round the ford, I braved it) then back to the El Supremo control.  On this leg we learned of the fate of another ride who’d been delayed by a broken pump.

I rarely ever ride in a group and generally find it quite tricky.  I tend to be a tortoise most of the time and struggle to keep up on flats but on steep climbs come into my own, perhaps through early use of low gears and being used to lugging panniers up them and living in North Wales most of the winter.  Shortly before Dave Hudson’s Oasis though, they dropped me on a long climb.  Feeling I’d be more comfortable alone, with no pressure to push myself where I didn’t want to, I opted for a quick departure and rode alone most of the remainder of the day.  They were good company, it was just very tiring as my good bits weren’t matching theirs.  At Cirencester I had a good meal in the company of several other riders.  Many by this point were finding things very tough, which made me feel a whole lot better about myself.  Some were also talking of packing due to bad knees etc, and I heard that a few had already done so.

I stopped only briefly at Amesbury (but not as briefly as I should have done; a tortoise doesn’t have time for hanging around if he’s to complete the event, let alone beat the hare) then continued 12km for a proper stop at my house.  Here I rinsed my jersey then spun dry it and put it back on (I only have one and didn’t wish to smell too bad by the end), ate, and had a shower.  The intended half hour became 40 minutes (drat) then I got round the corner to realised I’d left my keys so a little more time was lost (double drat.)  John’s choice of route through Salisbury had seemed a bit strange to me and I’d planned to take a quicker one down the main roads, but out of loyalty to the route sheet I accepted a bit more lost time.  I caught up the flimsy but unreliable  lock using rider coming the other way looking for the turning about 10km before Downton, but on reaching there we parted company after some navigational difficulties.

I continued alone into the night, in which parts of the New Forest had a rather spooky feel.  If a road has hedges to either side I tend to feel safer at night as my lights illuminate everything.  On more open roads there are still areas to the side which are just an empty blackness.  Near the end I found another cyclist asleep at the roadside.  I continued but he caught me up as I pondered over the route sheet near Lymington.  He had ridden LEL and said that he heat and hills were making this ride much harder.  This was very encouraging as I hadn’t been too pleased with my performance.  I was even slower than expected and the 4 or 5 hours sleep I’d hoped for had been reduced to 2.  I was particularly frustrated at having wasted time on navigation and at controls.  I do have a tendency on rides to get incredibly worked up over mistakes, swearing under my breath for several kilometres because things don’t go quite to plan.  I think sleep depravation was also gripping me.

The helpers at Lymington were real heroes.  I felt very well looked after and with my card sorted, muscles stretched, a jacket potato inside me and 2 alarms set for 3:45 I retreated to my tent for 2 hours solid sleep.  I had covered 466km so was over the official 450.  It had taken me around 28 hours with an average riding sped of 20.4km/h.  I resolved that I was going to have to cut down on time wasting.  I’d have to ride my own event at my own ace even if it meant doing it all solo, and avoid too much time spent at controls.  I simply could not make it up in-between.

As I prepared to leave I met Phil again and had a brief chat.  I was out by 4:40 and riding through thick, chilly mist to Ringwood.  Steve Abrahams soon passed me with his ridiculously large fixed gear.  I tried to suck his wheel for a bit before he dropped me, during which period he farted loudly.  Phil Chadwick soon followed with somewhat less flatulence.  I managed to keep up with him for a little while longer but not by much!  I was at least able to reveal why he had previously had trouble finding a cycle path on previous events though when he took the wrong exit at a roundabout.  He said he’d found the previous day tough.  How could he say that when he’d been so fast?  What would these guys be like on an “easy” ride?  He had also enjoyed the mist more than I had; I find it beautiful but rather a nuisance with my glasses steaming up constantly.

On the way to Shaftsbury I was forced to power nap at the roadside.  Here I realised it is best not to simply sprawl out next to your bike as you look like you’ve suffered a crash, with the result that a considerate motorist stopped to check I was OK.  After a pleasant ride over Camborne Chase (one of my favourite roads) I joined other riders who were on a Café stop in Shaftsbury before pressing on as son as possible.  I always get lost around Wincanton and today was no exception so I resorted to my copied sheets of OS road map to find my way to Podimore in reasonable time (for a tortoise) and had some sustenance.  On the next stage I ran into Peter again.  In one town a van driver, manoeuvring in a driveway, decided to drive straight out in front of us and stop, blocking the road, before starting to reverse back in.  We both got round him with no trouble, making a comment of “slow down you lunatic” from a bloke giving directions to the driver seem unreasonable.  We got lost trying to find the services having missed a turning.  I got slightly less lost though and had a short break there with Fixed Wheel Nut Steve Airley before setting out, as Peter arrived, for a solo ride to Weston Super Mare.  I passed a stream of riders on their way out then manoeuvred through the tourist filled place to get my card stamped, catch 5 minutes with my eyes closed on a bench and head out.

The climb through Cheddar George involved the first rain of the event and an information control at which I had to get the name of the farm “near the top of the hill.”  I managed to miss this as I went for the top of the whole hill and not just the steep bit but was saved by another 3 riders at ----------.  Despite my best efforts I could not keep up with them for long and thoroughly exhausted myself trying so dropped off to resume tortoise mode for the rest of the stage.

I was on target for another night of minimal sleep: perhaps 3 hours and leave by 4:40 was possible.  I felt it best to allow plenty of time for the first leg.  Then, as darkness closed in the rain restarted.  I had to be very careful as I made my way along narrow, gravely lanes.  I was also forced to remove my glasses to see enough, which I knew would give me a headache.  To add to this I had trouble finding my way through the Chalk Valley to the info control at Bowerchalk.  Things were going wrong!  I was very tempted to pack at this point, being only 15m from home, but managed to find the determination to press on.  This was never meant to be easy, but right now I felt very scared and vulnerable being out alone on desolate roads on this cold, wet night.  Drowsiness began to attack me and I had to stop in a phone box for a rest, followed by a bus shelter shortly after crossing the A345.  Here 2 other riders came passed.  My salvation had arrived!  This was one time when company definitely would be appreciated.  I was pushed to go a bit quicker and make up some time and could chat to stay alert.  As we neared Ringwood the rain ceased but the company became more of a hindrance as navigation was a little controversial, one rider seeming keen to use main roads for speed even though this would lengthen the route considerably.  This resulted in us entering Ringwood on the main road and having to find our own way out, with some local assistance.  Hopes of a reasonable sleep were ebbing away.  Eventually the group disintegrated.  I was in the middle, and the rider at the back dropped off.  I shouted to our main road loving friend and waited then went back but couldn’t find him so caught up with the other rider to discover it was him who knew the directions and he’d turned off to follow the route home!  I began to regret being in a group/  On my own I’d have been slower but probably have got into a lot less mess and confusion.  I ended up on my own again when my remaining companion shouted to check a signpost (he didn’t have his own head torch) and I deemed it necessary to get the map out but he didn’t realise and continued bowling on.  I continued alone in a right huff to Lymington.  This palaver had cost me some very precious sleep time.  I wasn’t at all sure where I was having, been struggling to keep up with this guy without a chance to properly look at the route sheet.  Navigation was done by following light pollution and instinct with the odd signpost.  This was clearly more successful than the tactic of my former companion though, who arrived at the same time having gone via Brockenhurst.

The controllers were again very kind and supportive.  Sticking to my planned 4:40am departure though left me only half an hours sleep.  At 4:10am John woke me as requested (something I think he found rather a challenge) and I made my dazed way out into the hall where Peter Marshall had arrived and Phil was preparing to leave.  Seeing my sorry state Phil straight away ordered me back to bed till at least 6am.  He later told me he’d been rather concerned about me continuing in that state.

In the end I left by 6am.  Apparently some riders still hadn’t arrived back and Steve Airley had packed due to pulling some tendons.  Major audax names were dropping out, there were endless comments about how tough it was and here I was, a novice 20 year old tortoise.  I have a reputation for perseverance though, and my steady tortoise style of riding was just about working.  That is, assuming I could stay awake all of today.  Stupidly I forgot to fill my water bottles and, even though I realised within 1km, didn’t go back.  For ages there were no pubs open and no cafes or shops available so eventually I asked a lady who was seeing someone off from her front door if she’d fill a bottle for me.

The final day was plagued by bouts of doziness.  Repeated power naps were essential as I was virtually falling asleep on the bike with little to keep me alert.  I eventually neared Reading, my 9pm finishing target replaced by 10 or even 11pm due to my pathetic progress.  Here I met the rider who’d gone the right way last night again who offered some much needed encouragement.  This was one of the most helpful things anyone did all ride.  The change that this friendly voice brought was unbelievable; the drowsiness largely gone and my spirits lifted.  It was, after all, my first proper contact with a rider that day.

Getting served at Reading took ages and I also had to lash up a repair to my computer mounting system, which involved elastic bands and blue tack to fit it onto my map holder.  Handlebar space is at a premium with 2 lights and a route sheet.  I rode reasonably back to Sutton Scotney, stopping in Whitchurch for some cheap food from a Somerfelds.  Unfortunately getting things done at the filing station shop took forever again, largely as I forgot to ask for a receipt the first time, so my 15minutes became 45 and another rider who’d arrived after me left first.  Never mind.  I looked set to finish; that was all that mattered to me right now.  I caught him up at the slightly illusive information control at Winsor, having made good progress for me, but later allowed him to press on while I stopped to eat and put on my lights, extra layer and reflective vest.  I did, however, claw back some time and would have finished by 10:40pm had I not taken a wrong turn in Beaulie and ridden unnecessarily up a big long hill.  Never mind though.  This ride hadn’t really gone according to plan.  I’d been slower than expected, not been too efficient at controls and lost time last night.  I’d survived on precious little sleep, fought my way through the rain, done every hill without walking (well I do have a 26t granny ring and 11-32 cassette) and, most importantly was going to finish on time.  The hardest, most gruelling stage of my first SR series was all but over.  My time still disappointed me, but if I finished that was enough.

The last stage, on bumpy roads, was agony for sore wrists and back side.  I didn’t really have the strength to withstand the road shock.  I finally crossed the gravel driveway to the “Arrivee” sign at 11pm, a weary, sore, drowsy and scruffy wreck of my former self.  As I entered the hall at Lymington at 11pm a round of applause greeted me, followed by food, drink and 6 hours sleep.  It was over!  Congratulations to all who betook on this ride.  Enormous thanks are due to John Ward and his helpers who did a tremendous job of organising the event and producing a great route sheet, and to El Supremo for helping us through that first stage.  They have done a great thing in helping so many riders to achieve their ambitions and we all owe them a great deal of gratitude.

Equipment:
There was little choice of what bike to ride for this event.  The Dawes Galaxy which is my only machine besides a Mouton APB I bought second hand and am trying to get working properly and the remains of my schoolboy commuter MTB which lies in state in our garage.  I did at least have hand built wheels with open pro rims and a Schmidt dynamo hub.  If you are thinking of getting one of these stop thinking and do it!  I find the light you get is well worth the weight and the drag is not noticeable.  Paired with a solidlights 1203d (2x3w LEDs) it provided excellent illumination allowing me to ride with confidence at night and descend at speed.  I had a smart polaris battery LED lamp as back up and for extra complicity when stationary.  I was also very impressed with my Petzl myo XP head torch.  With the beam diffuser in use the low power setting was ideal for reading the route sheet and use of the high power setting was my back up for seeing where I was going should the main headlamp fail.  It also has an ultra bright booster button which is great for reading signs.  At the back I used a cat eye AU100BS bolted to the rear rack supplemented by a smaller LED fastened to my rack pack.

I wore Lusso coolmax shorts with legwarmers where necessary and impressively comfortable shimano cycling sandals throughout.  My short sleeved jersey was supplemented by a merino wool shirt where necessary and a waterproof on the second night.  I used a cotton cap during the daytime and a buff (and even a woolly hat on one occasion) at night.  Bar phat handlebar padding was very helpful, especially as I like to remove track mitts when it’s really hot.  I carried a second merino wool shirt and a windbreaker but should really have left one or both behind.  My comprehensive toolkit and spare tyre remained unused (except for breaking that lock) as did, thankfully, a small first ad kit.  I had plenty of sweat and a few tears but managed to avoid any blood.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
Re: New Forest 1000 2006 ride report
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:03:38 am »
 New Forest 1000 754
 I had such high hopes for this ride, I caught the train down the afternoon before to find some familiar faces outside,
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0399.jpg?t=1206749719
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0400.jpg?t=1206749677
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0403.jpg?t=1206749614
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0404.jpg?t=1206749561

and enjoyed the pre ride evening meal at Lymington
was there really boy butter on the table?
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0408.jpg?t=1206749446

After the meal it was a case of make sure everything was ready for the 9pm start, some had last minute fettling to do;
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0405.jpg?t=1206749513

So we all set off a fellow West Kent CTC rider Paul Welch said to Bob, Barry and myself I'm here if you need me, not sure if he new what he had let himself in for there :)

We all set off into the twighlight at quite a fast pace over the rolling New Forest, we got to a secret El Supremo control in a layby and stuffed our faces from his never ending food supply and our saddlebags aswell, towards the morning the hills were becoming more frequent and I started feeling drowsy and stopped twice at the roadside for a short 15 minute nap.

It did the job and I felt fine as we headed out through Chippin Norton and El Supremos other secret control
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0409.jpg?t=1206749399
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/?action-view&current=100_0410.jpg

bike parking opposite
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0411.jpg?t=1206749320

towards Warwick the hills were tough short and steep and relentless they were just to steep for me on my 68" gear, I could have done with a bit lower and after Warwick we came back the same way :o back over the ford, I walked along the side both ways I didn't want to risk the slippery surface.

The midday heat only served to add to the torture and I grabbed drinks at the top and bottom of hills during those short lulls that I could afford to take one hand off the bars until the route eased a little towards Salisbury.

At the Salisbury control I sat in the carpark and devoured a Pizza and was saddened to hear Barry Jordan was packing after struggling to keep time.

The route out of Salisbury was a lot hillier than I expected and again short sharp and steep but it soon eased after about ten miles I had picked up a small group but punctured at dusk just on the edge of the New Forest and after repairing it set off alone into the darkening night sky.

This bit was demoralising another short sharp hill in pitch black with almost builders rubble in the middle of the road and another pu****re I walked the last twenty yards to the lights near the top and replaced another tube and set off again uphill again it seemed to take for ever and it was near midnight I think that I got back to the hall at Lymington, I quipped to John the organiser that I had never done so much climbing to get back to somewhere at sea level ;D
 We were well looked after here and waited on hand and foot and I still felt fine despite being knackered.

After three hours sleep I got up to a grand breakfast and the stories abounded of how many riders had packed and these were strong riders, I set off in the early hours and into the early morning misty dew of the New Forest and a glorious sunrise that is not justified in this pic;
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/NewForestsunrise.jpg?t=1206749266
 Some familiar roads were used from Denmead events and I felt quite at home and rolled at a steady pace, later in the morning the hills began appearing again and yet another faery visit this time cutting the tyre so I swapped tube and tyre over and set off again and met up with Judith Swallow and Peter Marshall and Rob Gray, our different paces going up and down hills saw us yo-yoing to and fro.

Some how I got to the next control ahead of them as they had taken a wrong turn but we all got through in the end, young Andy Tallis was unsure of himself but he was going well for a novice on a tough ride.

More hills to Weston-Super-Mare and a bacon bagutte on the sea front, riding out of here a wrong turn saw four of us go up and over a ridiculously steep hill that the correct route would have skirted around  ::) shortly after this the rain started and a cold wet control of a garage forecourt wasn't the finest hour of the ride, I was starting to struggle more on the hills as we approached Cheddar Gorge, but the Gorge itself seemed ok until just on the steepest bend I was cut up by anovertaking car and had to brake as he swerved in to avoid a car coming down, I stalled and got off and sat down in a small clearing.

Catching my breath and having a stretch of my tightening calves I enjoyed the view;
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0417.jpg?t=1206749222
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0418.jpg?t=1206749116
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/Fixedwheelnut/100_0416.jpg?t=1206749181

I picked my bike up and rode on virtually flying up the next bit as the gradient virtually matched my gear, I checked the route and saw an info control in a mile or so, "Oh f**k where is my computer" it had fell off when I stopped down the hill so I turned around to go and get it, quite away down it seems.
 Luckily I found it and returned back up the hill and met with Brian Callow also on fixed at the info control, as we left here in the rain I could feel my achilles tendons  becoming uncomfortable, I stopped at the top for some Ibuprofen and a stretch, I started to feel better along the flatter ridge but soon after the hills steepened again and the pain was quickly getting worse, on a flatter ride I might have persevered but with another 250km of hills to go I knew my ride was over.

In the middle of nowhere with a crook leg what was I going to do? I gave Paul Welch a ring and bless him he came to my rescue, I rode one legged and limped up the hills five miles towards Nunny Catch and awaited my saviour, he turned up with his wife Jenny and drove me back to Lymington ;D  where my kit and train tickets were ::) then drove home to Andover a bloody long drive on its own.

The crew at Lymington looked after us well again and I retired to my little side room and slept on the floor until the early hours, other riders were still just going out on there final leg, "chapeau to all of them.

I enjoyed a breakfast fit for a king and strapped my heel up with tape to support my achilles and rode the couple of miles to the station, and a shamefull journey home, I got off at the station before my usual one as allthough it is one mile further it is a pan flat ride :D
 Home sweet home and beer ;D and an ice pack on my leg.
It still annoys me this was my only DNF to date.

750 km and nothing to show so later on in September I rode the Epsom-Lincoln-Epsom with Manotea, JWO and Peter Turnbull for a 600km and complete my SR
"Don't stop pedalling"