Author Topic: Base training  (Read 254994 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #2050 on: 25 November, 2020, 11:47:21 am »
That sounds really impressive. How much have you built up to high volume over the years - were you on medium or high (when including rowing) last year?

I was doing medium volume TR plans, and the rowing, last year. I got my FTP to 248W last year but I was suffering a bit from burn-out. I did lots of volume after stepping back from rowing but it was too late to fit in a build/speciality cycle so I had no top-end.

This year I was doing SS-based MV plans up until September, when the palpitations started. I was making progress, but it was taxing.

I have 2h30 z2 to do this evening... what fun!

Watch a film or tv series if you can.  The longest Z2 I did first lockdown was about that length. So I just watched a film which made the time pass quickly enough.

simonp

« Reply #2051 on: 25 November, 2020, 11:54:20 am »
That sounds really impressive. How much have you built up to high volume over the years - were you on medium or high (when including rowing) last year?

I was doing medium volume TR plans, and the rowing, last year. I got my FTP to 248W last year but I was suffering a bit from burn-out. I did lots of volume after stepping back from rowing but it was too late to fit in a build/speciality cycle so I had no top-end.

This year I was doing SS-based MV plans up until September, when the palpitations started. I was making progress, but it was taxing.

I have 2h30 z2 to do this evening... what fun!

Watch a film or tv series if you can.  The longest Z2 I did first lockdown was about that length. So I just watched a film which made the time pass quickly enough.

IMDB Top 250 sorted by duration.

« Reply #2052 on: 25 November, 2020, 06:42:16 pm »
After many years of excercising rather than training I have signed up for Training Peaks to see what I can do with Proper Training. I am 75yrs old, my FTP is 185, my VO2 Max is 47 Cycling, 48 Running and my max HR is 150. I have been using my Atom very regularly since Lockdown and doing a selection of the sessions almost every day with very few rest days, Endurance, Speed and HIIT. I have been doing around 100 mls per week all indoors. I intend riding Tandem in the Mersey 24 this year, DV and some other TTs up to 25mls as well as some running races. When should I expect to see some improvement.
I did race in my late twenties with some success in Scotland but other addictions kept getting in the way of a successful athletic career. 

rob

« Reply #2053 on: 25 November, 2020, 07:54:32 pm »
After many years of excercising rather than training I have signed up for Training Peaks to see what I can do with Proper Training. I am 75yrs old, my FTP is 185, my VO2 Max is 47 Cycling, 48 Running and my max HR is 150. I have been using my Atom very regularly since Lockdown and doing a selection of the sessions almost every day with very few rest days, Endurance, Speed and HIIT. I have been doing around 100 mls per week all indoors. I intend riding Tandem in the Mersey 24 this year, DV and some other TTs up to 25mls as well as some running races. When should I expect to see some improvement.
I did race in my late twenties with some success in Scotland but other addictions kept getting in the way of a successful athletic career.

Were you not Scottish BAR at one point ?

rob

« Reply #2054 on: 26 November, 2020, 03:55:25 pm »
I'm just coming to the end of week 4 of the pattern I described upthread.   Turbo work as prescribed by my coach and 3 road rides largely done on feel.   The long commutes on Tue and Thu take it out of me a bit but I can see improvement already.   I'll do a DIY 200k on Saturday for fun and then into another 4 week block in the run up to Christmas.

I can't really see any proper goals until May/June earliest which is fine, but it makes it a little difficult to drag myself out of bed for the early starts.   I wore my PBP jersey on the ride this morning in an effort to remind myself when I last felt really good on a bike.

« Reply #2055 on: 26 November, 2020, 06:29:37 pm »
I was indeed Rob. 1971 at age 27. My first year racing after a 7 year break.

« Reply #2056 on: 26 November, 2020, 06:40:57 pm »
My first day after signing up but I have not done a plan workout today.Must be not having inputted all my details somewhere. Will get there eventually. Just did the 15/45 x12 interval session on one of our Atoms followed by the Push pyramid session just below FTP with 1x15 mins with 2x10 mins and 2x 5mins all just below FTP. Will try again tomorrow or get my son to sort things for me.

simonp

« Reply #2057 on: 26 November, 2020, 08:37:17 pm »
Just done 2h30 z2/3 workout. FML.

« Reply #2058 on: 27 November, 2020, 08:17:45 am »
Yeah, I've done all the long ones outside. I thought of trying one in turbo to see what it was like, but haven't actually done it...

simonp

« Reply #2059 on: 27 November, 2020, 08:39:47 am »
Saturday is 3h of same. Sunday is 3h30 z2. Sunday would definitely be outside.

The constant resistance the trainer provides probably improves the quality of the training. But there’s only so much I can take.

« Reply #2060 on: 27 November, 2020, 08:58:37 am »
The TR forum organises a Disaster workout ever so often - that's 4 hours long! (I guess it has loads of everything, which makes it less boring)

simonp

« Reply #2061 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:01:16 am »
The TR forum organises a Disaster workout ever so often - that's 4 hours long! (I guess it has loads of everything, which makes it less boring)

I did it last year. It was easier in some ways to get through. It doesn’t fit with my training schedule this year so I can sit it out.  :hand:

rob

« Reply #2062 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:28:40 am »

The constant resistance the trainer provides probably improves the quality of the training. But there’s only so much I can take.

Do you just sit in the same zone for 3hrs ?   Must be tedious.

The closest I got was working with broken hand at the end of 2018, but that was a max of 90 mins on alternate days.

simonp

« Reply #2063 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:34:47 am »

Do you just sit in the same zone for 3hrs ?   Must be tedious.

The closest I got was working with broken hand at the end of 2018, but that was a max of 90 mins on alternate days.

Last night was intervals between 70%-80% FTP with small 1-3 minute breaks. They added some short 10s force sprints in the middle which broke it up. Saturday’s 3h would be same but the breaks are a bit longer and no sprints.

When it’s a z2 only workout there is still some variation. It’s typically 60% or 70% FTP. There are drills you can do which might help break it up a bit. I ignore those and watch a film or sports.

simonp

« Reply #2064 on: 29 November, 2020, 08:41:45 pm »
Yesterday’s workout would have been hard work. Ran out of time and energy so missed it. Made up for it today by riding for 5h40 ish outdoors instead of the 3h30 plan. So I got most of the TSS for the week. I also PR’d two climbs that I PR’d last Sunday and did my best 1m power for 2020.

« Reply #2065 on: 01 December, 2020, 06:31:45 am »
I've got busy at work, so not ridden since last Thursday.  Did 6 hours of work on Sunday morning instead of riding :( 

Will probably take a double light week, snatching a couple of short rides this week and try to pick up next week, when things might be a bit easier.

rob

« Reply #2066 on: 01 December, 2020, 03:42:40 pm »
Made it to week 5 before failing a session.   Warm up OK but failed to lift properly going into the first rep and just though 'Sod it'.   Not completely there yet to be honest.

simonp

« Reply #2067 on: 02 December, 2020, 02:59:11 pm »
I've got busy at work, so not ridden since last Thursday.  Did 6 hours of work on Sunday morning instead of riding :( 

Will probably take a double light week, snatching a couple of short rides this week and try to pick up next week, when things might be a bit easier.

Bad news. The good news is base fitness isn't quickly lost and maintaining it through a period where you don't train as much (as long as it's not toooo extended) doesn't require much volume.

simonp

« Reply #2068 on: 02 December, 2020, 03:05:22 pm »
This is recovery week but the first workout was 1h with a bit more intensity - I decided to do a more familiar workout, Monitor, which is 6x6m:2r rolling sweet-spot.

For this workout, in August last year, with the same power, my average HR was 151.

Last night, it was 138.

This puts me in early December as some way fitter than at last PBP, with 8 months more training time before my goal event.

Ramp test next week, better be >250W FTP or I'll be sad.

rob

« Reply #2069 on: 02 December, 2020, 03:16:44 pm »
Peaking for July.   What could that be ?

« Reply #2070 on: 02 December, 2020, 04:19:34 pm »

Bad news. The good news is base fitness isn't quickly lost and maintaining it through a period where you don't train as much (as long as it's not toooo extended) doesn't require much volume.

Managed to get out for a couple of hours this lunchtime.  Feel better for some sunlight and fresh air!

« Reply #2071 on: 02 December, 2020, 04:55:48 pm »
Not back on turbo yet still get outdoors. But sure the turbo will be back in service soon as the temps drop.

simonp

« Reply #2072 on: 02 December, 2020, 05:10:10 pm »
Peaking for July.   What could that be ?

Not the TCR!

simonp

« Reply #2073 on: 02 December, 2020, 05:55:10 pm »
From the end of the TB plan in early January it's 26 weeks to event. That is just enough time for the full base/build speciality cycle.

Now, I'll have done a lot of base already. So what I might do is break that up a bit - do a build 4-week block in January, then 8 weeks of base, rather than repeating all 12, then back to build.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2074 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:29:39 pm »
it's about time to start training again (virtually no riding during november and feeling w e a k..). this time around i'd be interested to do some experimentation with polarised training. 2-3 longish rides outside (12-15hrs total) and 60-90 minutes of vo2max intervals per week. to do this for three winter months and see where that takes me fitness-wise.
to reduce my excuses as much as possible, i've got four bikes (fully serviced) to choose from for riding outside, turbo trainer set up and updated, kit sorted out, indoor workouts marked as favourites to find them easily. we'll see how those three months pan out, but by sharing this here i hope it will support my commitment.

well done everyone so far, great gains by simonp, way to go!