Author Topic: How would you go about repairing this wall?  (Read 1254 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
How would you go about repairing this wall?
« on: 26 August, 2020, 12:56:58 pm »
One for the Francophiles -  How would you go about repairing the the gaps in the walls.

Expanding foam in the gaps?  How to fix the broken tiles as removing them might cause a bigger hole in the wall.

Re: How would you go about repairing this wall?
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2020, 01:05:26 pm »
Is that a studded wall?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2020, 01:07:24 pm »
Is that a studded wall?

No, terracotta tile and beton.  The only wood left is a bed slat that was used somewhere under the bath.

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2020, 01:13:51 pm »
Personally I would lean towards a proprietary expoxy/polymer based concrete repair mortar.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2020, 01:16:39 pm »
Provided that you can lose about 10mm all round I would re-line the whole area with the "cement board" that's often used in lieu of plasterboard in bathrooms - it's waerproof and easy to tile onto .... you may need to have some thin battens below the tiles to mount it.   Just drll and fix with countersunk plasterboard coarse thread screws (the black ones, usually)

This is the stuff I used  https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/fixing-finishing/preparation/hardiebacker-board    (ignore the bit about the scribed cuts, that's almost impossible to do - I bought 4 very, very cheap (about £3 each) hand saws and used them - blunted quickly but did the job.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2020, 04:12:56 pm »
Provided that you can lose about 10mm all round I would re-line the whole area with the "cement board" that's often used in lieu of plasterboard in bathrooms - it's waerproof and easy to tile onto .... you may need to have some thin battens below the tiles to mount it.   Just drll and fix with countersunk plasterboard coarse thread screws (the black ones, usually)

This is the stuff I used  https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/fixing-finishing/preparation/hardiebacker-board    (ignore the bit about the scribed cuts, that's almost impossible to do - I bought 4 very, very cheap (about £3 each) hand saws and used them - blunted quickly but did the job.

Have a few of those hardy boards here.

Am in France and the non supporting walls are solid.  The brick work is this

but 4 holes high by two holes wide.

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2020, 04:30:01 pm »
ignore the bit about the scribed cuts, that's almost impossible to do

Not with this dedicated tool, it isn't impossible. 12mm board can be challenging to break, but investing in that little tool when I did a room recently was an astonishing time saver.

« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2020, 07:59:32 pm »
There are also foam composite tile backer boards. Lighter, easier to cut and a bit more insulation.

« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2020, 08:38:28 pm »
We talking about repairing the wall or finishes here?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2020, 08:46:34 pm »
ignore the bit about the scribed cuts, that's almost impossible to do

Not with this dedicated tool, it isn't impossible. 12mm board can be challenging to break, but investing in that little tool when I did a room recently was an astonishing time saver.

I was persuaded to buy one - totally useless in my view - that said I was having to cut a number of L-shaped panels to fit around windows and doors so the saw made that simpler.   (Do you want another of the tools  ;D  - not sure if I didn't chuck it away - it was about 6 years ago that I used the board)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:27:38 am »
We talking about repairing the wall or finishes here?

Both ish.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2020, 11:14:52 am »
So looking at filling the voids tor the rear with expanding foam with a board behind to hold the foam.

Then work out how to fit a smaller bath.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12 on: 29 August, 2020, 09:37:10 am »
GF got mate of the plumber to fit the bath etc.  Already issues of a flimsy plastic bath on feet, not clearing the pipework.

All the DIY shops sell plastic baths, that are more expensive that a steel bath I bought in London and the other shops don't sell to the public, apart from fancy stand alone baths.