Author Topic: Re-waterproofing waterproofs  (Read 1871 times)

Re-waterproofing waterproofs
« on: 24 September, 2019, 08:12:57 am »
Howdy
Anyone have any experience of re-waterproofing waterproof overtrousers that have lost their mojo?
In this case, they’re just nylon cheap ones but the question equally applies to whether the goretex variant of Nikwax is any use.
Ta

Re: Re-waterproofing waterproofs
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:19:44 am »
I’vE had some success with the MucOff spray on product.
I still find that it’s better to wash such items carefully and only in the technical wash and re-proofing products. Overall however, there does seem to be a time limit to these highly technical fabrics.

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:22:09 am »
I've used the Nikwax stuff to good effect in the past, even on things that weren't explicitly waterproof to being with.

Wash the items in Tech Wash, then put through the washing machine again with Nikwax TX.Direct.

I used to throw in arm warmers, leg warmers, cycling gloves, etc as well as my main Goretex jacket and they'd come out beading water well for a few more months.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2019, 10:42:08 am »
Nikwax does seem to work quite well as mentioned above. Iron it afterwards. Put the iron on it's lowest setting and try on a small out of the way area (bottom of trouser leg with tip of iron) area to check it's not melting the fabric, if it does put a folded tea towel over the top. The warmth from the iron activates the Nikwax.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2019, 05:26:06 pm »
The warmth from the iron activates the Nikwax.

It's a miserable day here, I'm sitting at my computer passing the time.

This Nikwax link http://www.nikwax.co.uk/kr-kr/how_nikwax_works/introduction.php

suggests it is not necessary to activate the Nikwax.

« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2019, 05:36:06 pm »

This Nikwax link http://www.nikwax.co.uk/kr-kr/how_nikwax_works/introduction.php

I've used that product without heating the garment (no tumble dryer) and it hasn't worked for me. I've tried a hair dryer with a similar Granger's treatment, with the same lack of success. Not tried ironing yet – I'll do that next time.

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2019, 03:36:49 pm »

The instructions on the bottle for TX10 used to say 'tumble dry or cool iron for best results'.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2019, 11:48:05 am »
From my bottle of Nikwax TX.Direct: "Air dry or tumble dry on a low setting".

« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:40:01 am »

Have done it both ways, I had more success when I ironed afterwards
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2019, 10:06:36 am »
As everyone else already mentioned Tech wash then TX.Direct https://amzn.to/2oHeyKY is the stuff you want.
Loads cheaper than buying a load of new kit!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 03 October, 2019, 10:13:40 am »
Tech Wash is just liquid soap. The DriPak liquid soap is usually much cheaper, and does the same job of washing it.
Followed by TX Direct to proof it afterwards.

« Reply #11 on: 03 October, 2019, 10:22:45 am »
The cool iron trick has worked for me.

« Reply #12 on: 03 October, 2019, 11:55:32 am »
In what way have they lost their mojo?  If they're leaking then there isn't much you can do, the tech wash type treatments are to cause the water to bead so it doesn't wet out, they're not designed to create a impenetrable barrier and beaded water is still going to find it's way through if the material isn't waterproof, though it might slow progress.  It's unusual for simple none breathable nylon to lose it's waterproof, have you tested it, simple to do, just make a hollow and fill it with water. 
With more expensive breathable fabrics, the water repellent sticks better to any that already exists, so you have a choice between a garment clean enough to maximise breathability and a better chance of reproofing...  It's a common experience that it works but not for long, it simply hasn't bonded well to the cleaned fabric.  I doubt there is a correct answer, wetting out is still waterproof unless that layer is knackered, I had a Gortex jacket that I was convinced let water through, but a test showed otherwise.  I wash my current E-vent jacket in a very weak soap and spray on TX while it's still damp, followed by a hairdryer to dry off.  It's working reasonably well, though the jacket is grubby and I fear a proper clean will ruin it.
EDIT - in the days before fancy fabrics (Or more likely my ability to afford them) I used to work long days outside and we'd spray jackets, overtrousers and boots with some stuff intended for buildings, it smelt for a bit, then worked fine, even on stuff that wasn't waterproof to start with.  Thompsons weather seal looks to be the same stuff, though that wasn't it.