Author Topic: UCI World Track Champs Coverage  (Read 6997 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: UCI World Track Champs Coverage
« Reply #25 on: 27 March, 2010, 12:20:56 am »
They're all now using Look pedals.
This was talked about in depth by Rob Hayles and Jamie Staff on Eurosport after the Hoy pedal incident.
They've had to go to the Look system because as you said the others have now exhausted their supply.

I've been pondering about this. I noticed most sprint riders have been using Look (or Look type) pedals with single or sometimes double straps. I saw one Japanese rider using traditional pedals with clips. I got up off the sofa and had a good look at my nearest Look Keo pedals, trying to work out how they can thread straps through them. Are they modified, or are they special trackie Look pedals?

I can see how Look pedals would allow you to place your foot in the optimum position every time (once you'd spent time finding it), with the straps being an additional security measure. But still, you'd think a traditional pedal with clip & strap would be more secure for the starting effort of a sprinter or kilo rider?

« Reply #26 on: 27 March, 2010, 12:31:08 am »
Spectacular crashes in the lasses scratch race. Bike broken in two.

« Reply #27 on: 27 March, 2010, 07:58:33 am »
Wasn't there a recent thread on here about how carbon bikes would last as well as any other!

« Reply #28 on: 27 March, 2010, 10:06:13 am »

I've been pondering about this. I noticed most sprint riders have been using Look (or Look type) pedals with single or sometimes double straps. I saw one Japanese rider using traditional pedals with clips. I got up off the sofa and had a good look at my nearest Look Keo pedals, trying to work out how they can thread straps through them. Are they modified, or are they special trackie Look pedals?

I'm not familiar with Look, so I'm uncertain if they've been modified or not.
I did watch the mechanic change Hoy's pedal though, then he very quickly and effortlessly threaded a strap
on to it.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 27 March, 2010, 10:07:23 am »

The Yank lass made me cringe. Talk about knocking the wind out of your sails.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 27 March, 2010, 10:11:35 am »
Not Look but a mod for SPD-SL

Fitting straps to SPD-SL pedals

Someone on cycling forums .com says

My own pedals are old (Look) style Shimano Dura Ace clipless pedals with a single laminated leather toe strap pop-rivited on to each one. This involves drilling a couple of small holes in the body of the pedal, but it works very well.

So I suspect the world class riders have modiified pedals too

This is the sort of thing I'd do, in fact I might have a go this afternoon. Got some old Look pedals, toeclips and straps

« Reply #31 on: 27 March, 2010, 10:28:31 am »
Watching these championships on TV is making me want to have another session at the National Cycling Centre.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #32 on: 27 March, 2010, 05:07:46 pm »
Oh my  :thumbsup:

Could have been a nasty tumble though.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #33 on: 27 March, 2010, 06:01:49 pm »
 >:(  We're not happy...The English Broadcasting Corporation told us to switch to the red button when they finished their BBC1 coverage.  But all we got on the red button was bloody football results, in fact the same programme that was being broadcast on BBC1 Scotland.  The other option on the red button was showing the English football results, and on BBC2 we were getting Gordon Bloody Brown.  Eventually, 45 mins later, they resumed coverage on BBC2 but by that time we'd missed the end of the madison and, more importantly, Miss P.  I regret to say that this is typical of the second rate service that we get from the EBC.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #34 on: 29 March, 2010, 09:31:13 am »
I "taped" the afternoon events yesterday; oh my, it made for a great late evening session! This omnium thing is really ace and what a top bloke this Ed Clancy. Well done  Grégory Baugé too (just wish the commentaors could learn to pronounce his and Sireau's name properly; it is not complicated, just listen to the speaker in the Velodrome!).
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 30 March, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »
Boar Jay* &

Sear** oh ? (eau being pronounced as in l'eau de toilette)

?

*but with a soft g - like in "j'ai"
** as in searing meat when cooking!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles