Author Topic: yacf riders  (Read 33249 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: yacf riders
« Reply #25 on: 20 August, 2019, 10:24:34 pm »

If you hear anything about Julian & Steve please let me know..

I've now had it confirmed that Julian and Steve have packed. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #26 on: 21 August, 2019, 02:19:34 am »
Aye well, I can add this one to my ever extending palmares de DNF. Ho hum.

LWaB and HK (separately) seem to be doing OK

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 21 August, 2019, 04:46:50 am »
Yup, HK rolling well. Aussie George and I are holding it together, once we got a better handle on control closing times. Onwards to the next after a few hours sleep before Quedillac packed out.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #28 on: 21 August, 2019, 07:06:13 am »
I've now had it confirmed that Julian and Steve have packed. 

Thanks Redlight - 
tis' not good news , hopefully a mechanical & not an injury issue ? ?
Seems there's some slow / touch & go average speeds still out en-route this year.
T.H
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

« Reply #29 on: 21 August, 2019, 07:21:58 am »
I packed at Tintineac. I had gradually worsening stomach problems from Villaines la Juhel. I'll keep the story clean, but essentially I wasn't enjoying things at all. I decided that abandoning was the only sensible option. I got a bed at Tintineac and slept for 13 hours. In the morning I started pottering back, which I really enjoyed. I guess I'll be back in 2023

S2L

« Reply #30 on: 21 August, 2019, 07:22:32 am »

I'm wondering what has happened to PhilW - his tracker only shows Rambouillet.

Quit before Villeneuve la jahl

some pretty strong riders packed up... people who do a DIY 600 every month or so...

S2L

« Reply #31 on: 21 August, 2019, 07:30:30 am »
A friend finished in 51 hours... any woman done better in the past?

« Reply #32 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:08:23 am »
I've packed at base camp near St Nicolas du Pelem. As ever it was a combination of things. A brutal stage between Loudeac and St Nicolas ate up my reserves although  the headwinds before had slowed everyone. Add in the gears playing up, double vision and the prospect of more headwinds made continuing an unappealing prospect. Still a great experience and I was able to help my friend Claire through a bad patch and I think she's going to make it.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #33 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:09:18 am »
I've packed at base camp near St Nicolas du Pelem. As ever it was a combination of things. A brutal stage between Loudeac and St Nicolas ate up my reserves although  the headwinds before had slowed everyone. Add in the gears playing up, double vision and the prospect of more headwinds made continuing an unappealing prospect. Still a great experience and I was able to help my friend Claire through a bad patch and I think she's going to make it.

My husband is suggesting I wear half the shirt....
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #34 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:11:17 am »
Seems a fair compromise to me!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:42:24 am »
Julian had a tendon problem that was just getting worse.

The fastest female finisher was only a couple of hours behind the first male finishers, sometime in the ‘90s and mid-40 hours. Can’t remember the details offhand.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #36 on: 21 August, 2019, 09:38:11 am »
Julian had a tendon problem that was just getting worse.

LWaB -  Thanks for the info on Julian D -  much appreciated.

As for female riders  - I'm also still tracking female friends Sally T from Oz & Grace L.S from Derbyshire  -  they're both good strong riders that have left me trailing many a mile .
T.H
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #37 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:15:08 am »
Duncan and j4 are still on the road, last seen at Fougères.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #38 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:34:06 am »
Tillapaw and Sarah P are still going. They occasionally post here.

« Reply #39 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:36:46 am »
And Paul D, from 3 hours ago.
Paul Dytham a passé l'étape VILLAINES-LA-JUHEL. Time 64:03:34,

Martin

« Reply #40 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:55:00 am »
Commiserations to all the DNF's, especially JBB who I think is a Neophyte

« Reply #41 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:12:10 am »
Commiserations to all the DNF's, especially JBB who I think is a Neophyte

Likewise.

It doesn't take much - the odd mechanical, bit of bad weather, nagging physical issue - to find yourself without a chair when the music stops.

Here's YouTuber good guy Eric Norris from Sacramento giving his version of why he packed [his forth PBP].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s03OY-fWDJE
Garry Broad

« Reply #42 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:39:35 am »
I ground to a halt at Loudeac.  The broken ankle 5 weeks ago probably didn't help. But I'm happier than  if I'd taken the original advice not to try.

« Reply #43 on: 21 August, 2019, 12:52:58 pm »
Sorry to hear that Ian and well done. Much pain from the ankle?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #44 on: 21 August, 2019, 01:48:30 pm »
Reading this, I'm re-living my own dark hour from 2015.  Commiserations from me too to everyone who had to pack it in. I hope you'll make it home easily, heal well if you need too (I needed to for three months, and not physically) and get back here in 2023.

In 2015 I HD'd or OT'd or whatever it's called, but only because at Mortagne the organizers were talking about taxis back to Paris and maybe a lorry for the bikes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #45 on: 21 August, 2019, 02:19:14 pm »
Thanks for all the updates. It does seem like a particularly tough PBP this time. Despite avidly following it all from my phone and pc I'm perhaps grateful i stayed at home this time...

Update on KIngston Wheelers riders:- Jasmijn M and Javier G both finished in an amazing 59.5 hrs or so. Laidback Rich is nearly home, having reached penultimate control at Dreux 44k to finish. Sarah P is on the way to Dreux and Tilapaw on the way to Villaines. Denise G had food poisoning problems but has reached Loudeac on the way back but running too slow I think. David W is at Mortagne-An-Perche.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Martin

« Reply #46 on: 21 August, 2019, 02:21:03 pm »
I had no problems at all in any of the 200-600 rides in the 4 years preceding my 2007 attempt. No problems at all for the first 1000km either, then both my ankles did a Joseph Merrick within 20k of each other, every pedal stroke was like having a wood saw across my Achilles. There is a way of making this a bit less agonising which doesn't work with knees.

I finished because there was no way I was going back 4 years later (I'd already decided I would only do it once). As someone said at the time, "pain is temporary, quitting is permanent" if that helps anyone  :)

missing a family holiday if i didn't get back to Paris in 90hrs was also a factor...
Anyway this isn't intended to put a downer on the ride it's in the lap of the gods how any one's ride pans out. Just saying that even in what was considered a bad weather year and with major problems I still finished. So anyone else could too.

It's a life changing ride, loved every minute apart from the last 200k

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #47 on: 21 August, 2019, 02:28:14 pm »
I know that Wilky had major gut problem early .. seemed to have recovered a bit by Brest .. but nothing since Loudeac homebound .. called it a day maybe .. would have been up against it all the way home .. even if fit .. gut and the off 6 weeks ago were maybe too much
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #48 on: 21 August, 2019, 02:30:27 pm »
Kate Churchill...  posts here rarely .. went for 80 hour start .. looks to be up against it too .. 10 hours  only for Villaines to finish
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #49 on: 21 August, 2019, 04:42:38 pm »
Sarah just gone through Dreux! She absolutely rocks!!!