Author Topic: Sticking rear brake  (Read 2860 times)

Sticking rear brake
« on: 08 April, 2008, 08:59:43 pm »
Just replaced all brake and gear cables on Shimano STI and noticed rear brake sticks a little - doesn't fully return once lever released, so that cable along top tube has some slcak in it. I hadn't noticed it before, but...... may be I'm not too observant ::-) Have lubed the brake pivots but still not right. Any suggestions?

Lonewolff

Re: Sticking rear brake
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:31:43 pm »
The brakes on my commuting bike do that fairly regularly during the winter. They are probably full of road muck. I usually spray some degreaser on, wash them under the tap and lube the pivot points with some oil.

« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:35:14 pm »
have you replaced the cable outers as well? it's worth doing those too. i had a problem just as you described, and it required the cable outer to be replaced.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:42:47 pm »
have you replaced the cable outers as well? it's worth doing those too. i had a problem just as you described, and it required the cable outer to be replaced.

I was going to suggest releasing the cable and checking it slides freely through both the outers. Also that nothing is fouling the calipers (such as a rack).

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:54:12 am »
...and assuming you've looked at all that, you haven't got the outer routed anywhere that puts a sharp bend into it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »
changed outers as well, nothing fouling, but... may have cut the last section of outer a little too long  ::-) so theres a bit of a bend in it upwards before going down to brake. May just be crap from the winter so will have to remove and clean and recut the outer - bugger :-[

Thanks for the replies

gonzo

« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2008, 06:49:09 pm »
Did you re-build the brake?

« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2008, 06:59:32 pm »
When you cut the outers, did you make sure that the hole was clear?  Even with proper cable cutters, sometimes a bit of the outer will protrude slightly into the inner, and make the cable rub too much.  I've used a small needle file to make sure that it's totally clean and smooth.
Actually, it is rocket science.