Author Topic: Rescue Greyhound Visit  (Read 3762 times)

anth

Rescue Greyhound Visit
« on: 15 October, 2009, 11:30:53 pm »
We've talked for a while about the possibility of getting a greyhound. It's about the only dog that would fit into our lifestyle (I grew up with a border collie, and much as I'd love to there's no way that's feasible).

The dog who visited tonight was a lovely thing - she's been cat assessed, and very very quickly lost interest in our cat sat on the sofa. The cat, for his part, kept a very watchful eye on the dog, hissed a couple of times, and growled when the dog walked past. After the dog had gone the cat retired under the bed for an hour or so, but seems untraumatised now.

We've been offered the option of taking the dog for a weekend to see how things are - the most annoying thing being that we don't have a weekend we could do this and give the proper attention for about 4 weeks. Oh, and Mel's still undecided. She loves greyhounds, and loves this particular dog, but isn't sure of the effect on the cat in the long term.

The jury is out - I know wich way I want the decision to come down...  ;)

Re: Rescue Greyhound Visit
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2009, 11:40:18 pm »
On the scale of cat dog interactions, that sounds pretty mild!

A friend of a friend had a rescue greyhound, and it was a lovely dog.  When it used the sofa however, no one else did, it needed all of it, and still hung off both ends. ;D

Not a terribly bright dog however, it did chase cats, and one day got away from the owners daughter who was walking it, when it spied a cat.  It ran head first into a bollard and killed itself. :(
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2009, 11:47:21 pm »
We've been offered the option of taking the dog for a weekend to see how things are - the most annoying thing being that we don't have a weekend we could do this and give the proper attention for about 4 weeks.

The jury is out....

Are you likely to be able to give proper attention on an on-going basis if it's 4 weeks until you can fit in a weekend visit? 

Hope this does not sound flippant as it is a well-meaning question to highlight that having a dog might lead to having to make a lot of changes in your lifestyle.

anth

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2009, 11:50:11 pm »
We've been offered the option of taking the dog for a weekend to see how things are - the most annoying thing being that we don't have a weekend we could do this and give the proper attention for about 4 weeks.

The jury is out....

Are you likely to be able to give proper attention on an on-going basis if it's 4 weeks until you can fit in a weekend visit?  

Hope this does not sound flippant as it is a well-meaning question to highlight that having a dog might lead to having to make a lot of changes in your lifestyle.

Legitimate question. I'm away two of those four weekends, but Mel is home, and another we have friends around for a party, fine to do once the dog is settled - so it's not that we're both away for any of those weekends, just that for a one weekendd visit to assess things we need both of us here and a settled atmosphere.

anth

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2009, 11:52:22 pm »
Trust me, we've deliberated this for about two years, so it's not a 'rushing headlong' decision - the lifestyle impact has been thoroughly goe through...  :)

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2009, 11:58:37 pm »
Trust me, we've deliberated this for about two years, so it's not a 'rushing headlong' decision - the lifestyle impact has been thoroughly goe through...  :)

I thought as much, but just checking  :thumbsup:

How you gonna manage during the week?  Mrs Noodley and I (and the kindness of other family) have to juggle visits home at lunchtime and during the day since we both changed to 9-5 jobs - it was so much easier when we worked different shifts as one of us was always at home...

anth

« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2009, 12:03:24 am »

I thought as much, but just checking  :thumbsup:

How you gonna manage during the week?  Mrs Noodley and I (and the kindness of other family) have to juggle visits home at lunchtime and during the day since we both changed to 9-5 jobs - it was so much easier when we worked different shifts as one of us was always at home...

Pretty much exactly that - sharing lunchtime visits home, plus Mel's dad lives 5 minutes away so can pop round as well.

Do you have a greyhound then, or another dog?

She really was beautiful, but it's just as well the head was ruling the heart!

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2009, 12:06:25 am »

We have a Pointer, he's getting old and falls down every now and then due to problems with his joints, but he still has the odd spurt of energy.  It wasn't too many years ago that he was out running me on my bike going full out along the farm road....I think he still thinks he can  ;D

anth

« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2009, 12:09:30 am »

We have a Pointer, he's getting old and falls down every now and then due to problems with his joints, but he still has the odd spurt of energy.  It wasn't too many years ago that he was out running me on my bike going full out along the farm road....I think he still thinks he can  ;D

;D  ;D  ;D

I've desperately  missed having a dog, but I know we've also got to be fair to the dog (she's been bounced through two homes in her short retirement (not issues through her, situations with the potential owners)).

« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2009, 12:21:15 am »
I've desperately  missed having a dog, but I know we've also got to be fair to the dog (she's been bounced through two homes in her short retirement (not issues through her, situations with the potential owners)).

We got Charlie 'second hand' as his previous owner had given up on him being a Show dog*.  We were looking for a family pet and he fitted the bill....he is the biggest soft dog ever and loves everyone.  One of the cats is currently sleeping with him in his bed. 

<* being bloody minded I decided to show him anyway and he qualified for Crufts every year I showed him  ;)>

« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2009, 12:43:01 am »
I'd love to have a dog, but Mrs Nutty isn't so keen.

I've weighed it up and decided that while there are days we're both out at work and neither working at home it just wouldn't be fair on the dog.

Once I land my dream job and work at home every day I'll be getting the dog.  Does anybody know the best place to get a young puppy from?  (and an abandoned Mrs Nutty rescue adoption home ;) :D :D :D ;) )

« Reply #11 on: 16 October, 2009, 05:12:25 am »
We have two greyhounds (and one whippet and a sort of terrier).  The greyhounds are lovely but can appear quite scary to people who don't know they are really sooks.  Ours amuse themselves by having greyhound races around the (quite large) yard.   
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2009, 09:09:51 am »
I've had rescue greyhounds successfully (and one lurcher much less successfully).  I am sure you've researched the subject, and know all about them, but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Greyhounds are fairly placid and loving, but occasionally a bit 'needy'.  They can be lazy, but don't need a lot of exercise to keep fit enough (though obviously not at racing fitness).

Key issues to remember:

Racing greyhounds are fed sloppy food.  Their teeth may be in a shocking (and expensive) state, as may their digestive systems.  It may take a while to find something that suits them.

They've never learned to play.  They can pick it up later, but one of ours, while she was taught to have a gad about by the other dog, never had a clue why anyone might be throwing sticks or balls. 

But, as I say, if you have the time, space, resources and support, a greyhound makes a lovely companion.
Getting there...

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2009, 12:04:05 pm »
Buddy goes out for a good run in the morning and is generally ok till I get in at half four , then out again and again at seven ish. He copes with this fine , though many days michelle let's him oot for a puddle around lunch time , but if she can't it doesn't bother him at all . I realise Greyhounds will likely need more exercise than Labradogs but don't forget , dugs are extremely adaptible to the differing lifestyles of their people. I think everyone who can ought to have a dug

« Reply #14 on: 17 October, 2009, 12:34:30 am »
Our greyhounds seem to spend more than 90% of their time lying around and the small balance in furious activity - seems good to me!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 18 October, 2009, 09:22:15 pm »
I think that, given the choice, greyhounds would slob out on the sofa watching daytime TV and ringing for pizza delivery.
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 18 October, 2009, 09:50:47 pm »
I think that, given the choice, greyhounds would slob out on the sofa watching daytime TV and ringing for pizza delivery.

That also describes my cat, except I don't think he could be bothered with the mental activity involved in watching any sort of TV.

They only keep us around because of our opposable thumbs. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #17 on: 19 October, 2009, 04:44:00 am »

;D

« Reply #18 on: 19 October, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »
I'd love to have a dog, but Mrs Nutty isn't so keen.

I've weighed it up and decided that while there are days we're both out at work and neither working at home it just wouldn't be fair on the dog.

Once I land my dream job and work at home every day I'll be getting the dog.  Does anybody know the best place to get a young puppy from?  (and an abandoned Mrs Nutty rescue adoption home ;) :D :D :D ;) )

Try Dog's Trust, they were the only place we found that had puppies.

« Reply #19 on: 20 October, 2009, 12:25:35 am »
Ta.

First box ticked  :thumbsup:

Now I just need the other two (land a dream job and a way of talking Mrs Nutty around - I've given up on the idea of an abandoned Mrs Nutty home)

« Reply #20 on: 20 October, 2009, 04:30:14 pm »
Now I just need the other two (land a dream job and a way of talking Mrs Nutty around - I've given up on the idea of an abandoned Mrs Nutty home)

Combine the two - train to be a hypnotist and use your new-found skills to 'convince' her that its a good idea!  :thumbsup:
Abnormal for Norfolk

« Reply #21 on: 20 October, 2009, 05:00:05 pm »