Author Topic: Vitamin D supplements  (Read 1597 times)

Vitamin D supplements
« on: 02 February, 2013, 08:21:01 am »
I've just started taking some!

On the back of an interview with some medical expert on Talksport a couple of weeks back where it was revealed that the Manchester United football team go to sunbeds for 20 minutes a month in the winter in order to top up Vitamin D levels which increases bone strength and reduces the risk of injury.

The chap said that as we had such a poor summer and that we are now in winter that a very large amount of the population are most likely deficient in Vitamin D and that gaining the supplement from food alone is not enough as there are only small amounts in foods like oily fish, eggs etc...

Not expecting to feel any different, but if it reduces the risk of injury at £2 a pop for 90 tablets from Tesco can't go wrong I guess.

Just call me Lance Armstrong. ;D

walterrichmand

Re: Vitamin D supplements
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2013, 06:50:51 am »
Vitamins and supplements are now accepted in playing a role in the health and energy of every limb in the body, from skin and bones to the anxious and resistant systems, right up to the brain. Vitamin D is very useful in our body and it has lots of calcium which is really helpful to our bones.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2013, 09:12:43 am »
Vitamins and supplements are now accepted in playing a role in the health and energy of every limb in the body, from skin and bones to the anxious and resistant systems, right up to the brain. Vitamin D is very useful in our body and it has lots of calcium which is really helpful to our bones.

You studied at the Tigerrrr school of medicine, didn't you?  :)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2013, 09:22:15 am »
Be careful, you can OD on D.

I was just thinking about the amount of sunlight I'm NOT getting this winter.  Only my face gets some direct daylight, and more than half of that is covered by a balaclava on the coldest days.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2013, 11:29:34 am »
I was just thinking about the amount of sunlight I'm NOT getting this winter.  Only my face gets some direct daylight, and more than half of that is covered by a balaclava on the coldest days.
Even if you are getting visible sunlight, its probably not enough at the right wavelengths. For much of the winter, the sun is too low, so there isn't any UVB light.

« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2013, 01:20:30 pm »

;D

My anxious system goes totally up the left sometimes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »

;D

My anxious system goes totally up the left sometimes.

Very suspicious, as Mary Poppins would say...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »
Is Walter getting ready for some spiced ham?

Even if you are getting visible sunlight, its probably not enough at the right wavelengths. For much of the winter, the sun is too low, so there isn't any UVB light.

Not even enough for the World Naked Bike Riders?

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »

Have to take issue with this. Vitamin D is really the only one for which a genuine medical case has been made; pretty much everything else you'll find in a multi-vitamin pill can be found in more than adequate quantities in most people's diets.  The alleged benefits of vitamin C, in particular, are mostly folklore with no basis in fact. Deficiency is a bad thing, but few Europeans actually face that problem (with the already noted exception of vitamin D).

Of course, big pharma is onto a great with the whole vitamin thing; marvellous way to make silly money from the cheapest ingredients in their stockpile. Most of the quaintly named labels under which vitamins are sold, in health food shops around the world, actually belong to big pharmaceutical companies.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2013, 11:13:06 pm »
Is Walter getting ready for some spiced ham?

Probably. Registered this morning and inactive within the hour...