Author Topic: Tri Bar or not to Tri Bar?  (Read 25728 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Tri Bar or not to Tri Bar?
« Reply #75 on: 26 April, 2013, 07:52:50 pm »
re: adjustment
The problem I've found with mounting tri-bars to a 'normal' road-bike setup is that you can't get the elbow-pads near enough to the rider. They typically only have a few cm adjustment in this direction - fine if you've bought a bike with base bars in roughly the right place and just want fine-tuning!
Even an insanely short stem didn't truly solve the problem (and that can create other issues).

I'm fine with my much smaller frame and 'typical' aero-bars, lots of seat-post showing (it's an old Reynolds frame - poor-man's Lo-Pro!). Not a setup I'd want to use for even 12hours, sadly.

[I'm out of the aero game, but thought it worth mentioning for new entrants.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #76 on: 26 April, 2013, 08:06:35 pm »
re: adjustment
The problem I've found with mounting tri-bars to a 'normal' road-bike setup is that you can't get the elbow-pads near enough to the rider.

I use Profile (T1s?) bars and can adjust them in any direction. I trimmed them down by about 2 inches where I bought them nearer to me.

For lights and GPS I gaffa taped a bit of broom handle to the tri bars.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #77 on: 26 April, 2013, 10:23:27 pm »
"any direction" isn't the problem - it's how MUCH the arm-rests move fore-and-aft. Usually very little.

They are mostly too far forward relative to the flat of the base-bar - for me anyway. With a road-bike of typical top-tube length.
Here's Wiggo showing the modern 90'-ish elbow and shoulder optimal angles (which requires the least effort from the upper-body muscles, the skeleton taking the load):

[first google image result]

Most riders I see on road-bikes* are in a much more stretched-out position. Maybe they're happy, I dunno!
*they tend to have much longer top-tubes than a pure time-trial bike.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #78 on: 27 April, 2013, 07:19:23 am »
Depends on the type, Matt. 

The ones on my new TT bike could not be adjusted in this way.  But, for audax, I also use the Profile ones.  The armrests are separate fixings on a clamp that could go be slid to anywhere along the length of the bar.  I've not cut the bars down so I could shift mine back towards me by up to 3 inches or I could put them in front of the base bar brackets and have them up to 6 inches further forward!

It may not be advisable to have them too far from the brackets from the point of view of loading on the bar, let's face it, that doesn't normally stop us!  I expect you could get away with bringing them back towards you by half an inch or so.

« Reply #79 on: 27 April, 2013, 10:20:05 am »
"any direction" isn't the problem - it's how MUCH the arm-rests move fore-and-aft. Usually very little.

They are mostly too far forward relative to the flat of the base-bar - for me anyway. With a road-bike of typical top-tube length.
Here's Wiggo showing the modern 90'-ish elbow and shoulder optimal angles (which requires the least effort from the upper-body muscles, the skeleton taking the load):

Most riders I see on road-bikes* are in a much more stretched-out position. Maybe they're happy, I dunno!
*they tend to have much longer top-tubes than a pure time-trial bike.

What that photo tells me,,
My bike fit man is humouring me so I won't go messing with my set-up.  >:(

BTW, Wiggo is 6' 3", so his leg and arm length are longer than mine.

« Reply #80 on: 27 April, 2013, 11:37:22 am »

As much as I like. I could set them up so that my elbows were under my rib cage if I wanted, never mind my shoulders.
The reason I picked those tri bars was because they are so adjustable and I could plug my bar end shifters in the ends.

I agree that some people have them too far forwards. I once knew someone who wanted to try tri bars and set them way too far forwards and thought they were uncomfortable and has never used them since. :facepalm:
I go for getting the pads under my shoulders too.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #81 on: 27 April, 2013, 12:00:08 pm »
Depends on the type, Matt. 
Well that would be why I used the words "usually" and "mostly" :)

The ones on my new TT bike could not be adjusted in this way.  But, for audax, I also use the Profile ones.  The armrests are separate fixings on a clamp that could go be slid to anywhere along the length of the bar.  I've not cut the bars down so I could shift mine back towards me by up to 3 inches or I could put them in front of the base bar brackets and have them up to 6 inches further forward!
Ah, good. I guess yours are like the ones posted by THing1 (that I've now spotted). That's very different to the more common designs (e.g. see Porkins post). I note Wiggo's won't adjust much either ;P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #82 on: 27 April, 2013, 01:07:17 pm »

Poor chap, he appears utterly oblivious that his Carradice and map holder have fallen off. Just hope his ride was still validated  :-\

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #83 on: 27 April, 2013, 03:27:45 pm »
^^^
 ;D

& the audaxfashion police will notice that he has no beard & the wrong footwear

« Reply #84 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:23:18 pm »
Poor chap, he appears utterly oblivious that his Carradice and map holder have fallen off. Just hope his ride was still validated  :-\

ROFPMSL !

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #85 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:57:05 pm »
I took my race bike out today, with the tri-bars, very early start (still dark).  After close to five hours riding found a cafe - which did a 'Fully Monty' breakfast that could have been entered into a Man v Food episode.  Realised after that (1 - 0 to Man) it was impossible to ride on either drops or the tri-bars.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #86 on: 27 April, 2013, 05:12:58 pm »

I don't think anybody's told him he won't be getting a point for riding that 100k yet either.  ;)
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #87 on: 27 April, 2013, 05:35:06 pm »
^^ ;D

"I ride all that ****ing way and I don't get a ***ing point?  Why the **** didn't someone tell me first?  I'm going to have to raise a motion at the AGM on this"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhdVr2Cn1OY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/QhdVr2Cn1OY&rel=1</a>
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #88 on: 27 April, 2013, 06:37:49 pm »
 ;D ;D

Wait until someone advises him the 50% rule isn't just about doping  :facepalm:

« Reply #89 on: 28 April, 2013, 12:02:28 am »

I don't think anybody's told him he won't be getting a point for riding that 100k yet either.  ;)

And that's assuming that he could get round in time.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #90 on: 28 April, 2013, 11:01:14 pm »
My previous post about the way my new arm rests can be adjusted may have been misunderstood. I'm not talking about fore and aft or side to side.

Imagine a drinks coaster on top of a large marble - you might have it balanced exactly horizontal, or you could tip it front down completely and rear up completely or any part way between position. Or the reverse, and the same sideways or indeed corner to corner.

The point is that quite likely you have the arm rest mounted in more or less the right spot, but when you put your arm on it and grip the extensions, you find one edge digs into your arm. You think "if only I could just tilt this bloody rest forwards / backwards just a tiny bit, then it would be perfect."  That's what the adjustment on the mount is all about.
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #91 on: 28 April, 2013, 11:10:42 pm »
My brief experiment was a failure - on the audax bike the pads are right on the top of the bars and that's much too far forward. I could get down (man) but with my arms stretched in front of me and open at an angle of <fag packet> 115 degrees I was getting achy biceps after only a few minutes.

Ho hum, it was worth a tri and I'm not fussed enough to spend daft money on bars with greater adjustability.