Author Topic: Lifting Of Domestic Travel Restrictions  (Read 3446 times)

Lifting Of Domestic Travel Restrictions
« on: 10 February, 2021, 04:35:03 pm »
Any full “return to normal” (eg. pubs / restaurants / cinemas / etc. reopening) is probably a very long way off, but for many of us I suspect just a lifting of domestic travel restrictions will be a huge improvement in quality of life - being able to visit aged parents even if only outdoors and socially-distanced, walking in the nearest hills rather than just round and around the local park, cycling longer distances, and so on.

No-one knows anything (or is able to second guess this inept government), but in pursuit of a “wisdom of crowds” perspective when do YACFers think we might see a step down from national lockdown to a scenario that allows domestic travel?
Eddington Number = 132

Re: Lifting Of Domestic Travel Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2021, 04:47:14 pm »
when do YACFers think we might see a step down from national lockdown to a scenario that allows domestic travel?

Any full “return to normal”  is probably a very long way off,

No-one knows anything (or is able to second guess this inept government)

I think you've answered your own question.

« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2021, 04:53:43 pm »
Well, none of my outline plans involve travel this side of May.  May is optimistic imo but if the vaccine rollout by the NHS is as touted by bozo&co then May might not be overly optimistic.

The virus should be reducing in effectiveness by then as per the expected seasonal cycle so if you add in all of the expected levels of vaccination  something should be possible.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2021, 05:03:49 pm »
HK and I are hoping that riding in France in late June might be possible but with no confidence. No matter how slim the chance of failure or how appalling the consequences, this government will fuck things up if it benefits them personally or a Tory party funder.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2021, 05:11:54 pm »
I think it is unlikely that the government will release small elements of the lockdown that have large mental health impact but no commercial impact rather than reopen businesses like pubs and restaurants even though these venues carry much higher risks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2021, 05:12:59 pm »
Wow LWaB , that is quite optimistic!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2021, 05:15:19 pm »
You are quite right, Mrs P. I should know that this government will always fuck things up, even if nobody benefits.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2021, 05:27:30 pm »
I'm not making any plans to go anywhere far TBH. If we even get away from Furrybootoon I will take that as a bonus, but not even thinking about it yet. Of course I could end up with nothing if I leave it too late but I'm going to concentrate on one thing at a time (currently getting Pingu Towers in a fit state to market) and attempt not to catastrophise...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 10 February, 2021, 07:46:06 pm »
I think that the government will find it hard to resist the clarion call of the anti-lockdown backbenchers and funders. So it depends what Sir Graham Brady and stuff like that are calling for.

Looking at the news last night, with its trumpeting of the UK's vaccination programme, I felt the real issue was the number of countries that won't be vaccinated until 2022 or 2023.

Even if we can go places (away form the UK), will they have us, and will we want their variants coming back here?

This pandemic will be with us for a long time.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2021, 10:00:58 pm »
My optimistic estimate is for 2021 to be a rehash of 2020 rules-wise, but hopefully without the wave of new infections in the winter.

bairn again

« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2021, 10:25:22 pm »
My optimistic guess is

- local restrictions could be lifted by May 2021

- restricted international travel may be possible by the start of 2022

I really dont see free and easy international travel like we had pre covid returning within at least 5 years which will might make international events (cycling or otherwise) a thing of the past. 

« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:04:53 am »
We have a trip to the Lake district booked for just after Easter, then a flight to Tenerife in May and a 40th wedding anniversary safari booked for July.  Each will be cancelled in turn and rebooked as necessary.

« Reply #12 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:37:52 am »
HK and I are hoping that riding in France in late June might be possible but with no confidence. No matter how slim the chance or how appalling the consequences, this government will fuck things up if it benefits them personally or a Tory party funder.

^^ What he said.

I'm training like things will happen and being totally unsurprised when they are cancelled/delayed.

« Reply #13 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:41:31 am »
We were persuaded to book a cheap couple of hotel nights in mid April - I'm certain we will lose those.
I've cancelled our rebooked Big Interrail Adventure that was scheduled for June - that's a distant dream.
I've got a plan to go with Mrs M and our daughter to Germany by train in September, but I won't be booking that until as late as possible, because I can't see that there will be any stability in the way we are able to plan for travel for a long time yet.
(There are other factors at play in our family that also inhibit holiday plans, but that's not what I'm discussing here)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #14 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:56:08 am »
I’m hoping/praying for some level of local travel to be possible by Easter, but am expecting things to still remain pretty restrictive.

« Reply #15 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:15:18 am »
I predict domestic travel restirctions will be lifted in time for summer. Everybody will go on holiday within the UK, it will be a complete disaster and we'll be in full lockdown again by September. The government will blame everyone and everything other than their own terrible decisions.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #16 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:19:41 am »
We can hope to see dramatic reductions in hospitalisations and deaths resulting from the vaccine program targetted at over 50's by mid to end of May.

Cases won't be impacted so much though until most of the adult population have been vaccinated, and without cases coming down it is difficult to get away from social distancing.

I expect more freedom of movement within UK to be possible starting in may, but that restrictions (mask wearing, meeting only outside or very low numbers, distancing in restaurants etc to continue for most of 2021.

International travel for leisure will not (imo) be possible this year. Which is Bad, because I need to get over to USA to see Mum while she is both alive, and containing marbles.

« Reply #17 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:21:04 am »
I was contacted only yesterday by my travel agent to tell me that "Your holiday to Tenerife" (in April) "may have to be cancelled or amended" (yet again!) and they suggested that I re-book for later in the year(!).  Realistically though, I doubt it will happen this year but am mildly hopeful that i might finally be allowed to travel there next year.

A friend of mine then informed me that the virus will probably mutate a few more times over the coming months and eventually making the current vaccine useless and a new vaccine would then need to be manufactured and so back to square one.

« Reply #18 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:22:10 am »
I think that the government will find it hard to resist the clarion call of the anti-lockdown backbenchers and funders. So it depends what Sir Graham Brady and stuff like that are calling for.

Looking at the news last night, with its trumpeting of the UK's vaccination programme, I felt the real issue was the number of countries that won't be vaccinated until 2022 or 2023.

Even if we can go places (away form the UK), will they have us, and will we want their variants coming back here?

This pandemic will be with us for a long time.

Indeed.  My vague plans only cover travel in England for this year, optimistically to the Northern Isles for 2022 and somewhere forrin requiring use of those dirty, polluting tin bird thingamyjigs in 2023.  By 2023 I believe that there should be sufficient awareness and management around most of the globe to facilitate this.

« Reply #19 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:56:11 am »
We have nothing whatsoever booked, and atm no intention of doing so.  But then we're quiyt happy to stay at home / take day trips as allowed as and when it happens.  (I'm guessing our Japan trip may well drift to 2022).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #20 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:08:51 am »
I'm assuming they'll buckle to pressure to reopen as they did over and over again last year, whether it's sensible or not. I just don't know exactly when.

I've got nothing booked but I'm definitely planning to travel as much as I can. No pubs or restaurants or indoor venues if I can help it.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:44:35 am »
I think we have our trip to Provence from last year carried over to this July (we cashed in our trips to the Far East and the US, I wasn't optimistic about the airlines being around to honour any vouchers).

I doubt it'll happen as planned. I'm not about to book anything else, though admittedly it would be nice to go somewhere. I confess to stretching the rules, we'll usually drive somewhere in the countryside at the weekend for a walk somewhere pleasant and not busy.

Personally, I'm less bothered about international travel and holidays, it would just be nice to go to the pub or a bar, to the cinema, concerts etc. again.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22 on: 11 February, 2021, 11:53:31 am »
The Outer Hebrides trip postponed from last year is still on indefinite hold, so I really ought to contact Hamish at the car hire place about getting my £200 back.  I doubt Battle Mountain will be happening this year either, and even if it isn't cancelled USAnia is so awash with Coronalurgi that you can contract it just by looking at Nebraska on a map.

Still have a handful of postponed gigs – Larkin Poe, King King, George Thorogood and John Mayall – to keep track of.  King King was supposed to be tomorrow, IIRC.  To be fair to Mr Mayall, his shows were postponed due to illness of the not-Coronalurgi variety.  A year without live music is Cruel and Unusual  :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 11 February, 2021, 12:08:23 pm »
I did see posters in December advertising a Lionel Richie gig this summer, can't remember if it was June or July. Not that I'd be going anyway but I did think "There's optimistic!"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24 on: 11 February, 2021, 12:14:57 pm »
We have a cottage booked in That Cornwall, end of July,  avec ' le bubble',  fingers x'ed.