Author Topic: Retouching aluminium frame - chipped paint  (Read 475 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Retouching aluminium frame - chipped paint
« on: 04 July, 2023, 01:33:29 pm »
I have a 6061 aluminium frame with chipped paint on the down tube and a few scratches and cable rubs exposing the metal. I think I need etch primer before applying top coat. Is this right? And if so, has anyone bought etch primer in a tin for brush application, or in a pen?

Halfords only sell it in a rattle can. I'm not repainting the whole frame, just the chips and scratches.

Re: Retouching aluminium frame - chipped paint
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2023, 06:29:24 pm »
Is it a really lovely bike?

The advantage of aluminium bikes (in my opinion) is that it doesn't matter if the frame paintwork gets chipped.

If the bike is exceptionally pretty, I can see that opinion might not sit well with you.

Personally, I wouldn't bother priming the chipped area, just dab top coat paint into the chip with a cocktail stick.

If the paint doesn't stick, because you didn't prime the metal, it will only come back off. In which case do it again. It will only take a few minutes to complete the task, so it doesn't matter if you need to repeat it, but I very much doubt you will need to do it again. Prove me wrong!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2023, 06:37:13 pm »
Clean the chip with isopropyl alcohol and fill the dip in the finish with a matching nail varnish.
Overfill and cut back.
Repeat.
And repeat.
And .........

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2023, 07:45:42 pm »
I used a car touch up paint on mine, but it was an easy match as gloss black, used a dremel with a light touch to remove corrosion and loose paint, first and it did not come off.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens