Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 177319 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #1125 on: 25 December, 2013, 12:18:03 pm »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...

Ruth

« Reply #1126 on: 25 December, 2013, 12:25:50 pm »
 ;D

Chris S

« Reply #1127 on: 25 December, 2013, 01:34:35 pm »
Fboab and I both give that a resounding  :thumbsup:.

LeBaton

• I want to be grasped
« Reply #1128 on: 25 December, 2013, 01:54:10 pm »
My silk feels as smooth as skin, I am truly pampered, the best Christmas ever.

;D ;D
Stick it to me, yeah!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #1129 on: 27 December, 2013, 04:18:35 pm »
Le Baton and I felt it wise to ride off calories from too many mince pies, so although it was blowing a storm outside we took a ride along the Tees to see some of Stockton and Middlesbrough's industrial heritage.

The Infinity Bridge, Stockton-on-Tees

Newport Vertical Lift Bridge, Middlesbrough

The Transporter Bridge, Middlesbrough

Finally on the way home we stopped by the MIMA (Middlesbrough Institute for Modern Art)

Just one more sleep til we see Deano again and hand the baton back for the next leg.  As daisyhill pointed out to me, what I've done for the yacf lejog is the equivalent of one of the runners in the 4x100 Olympic Race taking the baton, running off the track to visit friends and family in the stands, and then run back to the circuit and give the baton back to the first person to carry on.  Bloody useless me, but happy with it.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1130 on: 27 December, 2013, 05:19:59 pm »
Never mind that, those are some top quality bridges.

(Mental note: go up north, do a bridges ride.)

shyumu

« Reply #1131 on: 27 December, 2013, 05:35:08 pm »
Never mind that, those are some top quality bridges.

(Mental note: go up north, do a bridges ride.)

Quite a nice source of information on these bridges here

And a short video of the opening of the Transporter Bridge, with "man falling off moment"

I also understand that to avoid the Toll, many people would climb the ladders at either end and cross the top of the bridge, often carrying a bicycle on their shoulders.

« Reply #1132 on: 27 December, 2013, 05:47:55 pm »
I think you can still get taken across the top of the Transporter, though I think you have to book it.  One of my many brothers got that for his birthday present.

« Reply #1133 on: 28 December, 2013, 07:11:58 pm »
Well, we took le baton out for a ride around Langleydale today.

Steve GT took charge of it for the day:

...and we went to some charming places:

(I told him not to stand there, honest).

...before heading out into the Pennines for a bit:

...but the last extra loop was a loop too far, and after fixing a puncture at the most exposed place possible and descending with numb fingers into Middleton-in-Teesdale, we found a warm welcome and a not-too-cold table at the Teesdale Hotel:

...then we headed back to Darlo for the final handover of the day:

Next, le baton will be heading west.

shyumu

« Reply #1134 on: 28 December, 2013, 07:29:31 pm »
What an absolutely fantastic day out - thank you Deano and Steve GT for the invitation.  Some new roads for me, I really enjoyed myself.  The beer today was especially groovy.  Tailwind from Middleton-in-Teesdale to Ingleby Barwick in bright sunshine.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #1135 on: 29 December, 2013, 12:03:36 pm »
Another thank you to Dean for organising the ride. It is always a great pleasure to cycle in new surroundings.
Getting a visitation from the p*nct*re fairy at the worst possible spot on the ride was no fun  ;)
Looking at the photos I must lay off the cake next year!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1136 on: 28 January, 2014, 04:18:10 pm »
Just had a bit of a mad thought. I'm planning to tour between Newcastle(ish) and Aberdeen in the middle of March.

If the baton is still in the North East then (and one of the residents of Furry Boots Toon was willing to take it at the end), it may be possible for me to transport our wooden friend quite a long way north.

Hmm
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1137 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:59:33 pm »
But...but...that's taking it in the right direction!  Isn't there something in the rules forbidding that? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1138 on: 28 January, 2014, 09:08:19 pm »
I still may be able to bring it west, M, but I can fetch it up to the toon if you like. Or we could ping Slowcoach so it can see Durham first.

Ruth

« Reply #1139 on: 28 January, 2014, 09:17:50 pm »
Me and Slowcoach have been promising each other a ride for ages.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1140 on: 28 January, 2014, 09:52:47 pm »

er,

*don't be so bloody juvenile, Basil.*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Ruth

« Reply #1141 on: 28 January, 2014, 09:55:54 pm »
Basil, you filthy beast.

I liked that film with Grace Kelly about your local. Did they give you a bit part?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1142 on: 28 January, 2014, 10:14:49 pm »

I liked that film with Grace Kelly about your local.

que?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Ruth

« Reply #1143 on: 28 January, 2014, 10:25:50 pm »

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1144 on: 29 January, 2014, 12:52:24 am »

er,

*don't be so bloody juvenile, Basil.*

No, don't. That's my job.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1145 on: 30 January, 2014, 04:24:39 pm »
SlowCoach is far too slow off the mark here - and also far too innocent to  understand what the ambiguity might be that Basil's noted  O:-)

I'm sure a brief sojourn around Durham could be arranged. Perhaps the baton might like a tour of the Tyne Bridges that was briefly mentioned a month or so ago. I'm busy this weekend - going to look at some possible accompaniment for a pot of Marmite. If my trip's successful - I'm definitely up for a ride or two.

My main concern is quite how the baton moves North - last time I looked at the map (which was probably a year or more ago, to be honest) there seemed to be rather a dearth of YACFers between Durham and Edinburgh - unless Fboab can be persuaded out. My legs aren't up for doing a run too far over the border in a day, and besides, I'm not sure quite how some of these Border Reivers would take to my sassenach accent. The other possibility would be for us to take le baton for a drink at Tan Hill and see if anyone could be persuaded to meet us round Kirkby Stephen way.

LeBaton

• I want to be grasped
« Reply #1146 on: 30 January, 2014, 06:24:12 pm »
Drink??? Someone say Drink??  ;D
Stick it to me, yeah!

« Reply #1147 on: 30 January, 2014, 06:58:16 pm »
SlowCoach is far too slow off the mark here - and also far too innocent to  understand what the ambiguity might be that Basil's noted  O:-)

I'm sure a brief sojourn around Durham could be arranged. Perhaps the baton might like a tour of the Tyne Bridges that was briefly mentioned a month or so ago. I'm busy this weekend - going to look at some possible accompaniment for a pot of Marmite. If my trip's successful - I'm definitely up for a ride or two.

My main concern is quite how the baton moves North - last time I looked at the map (which was probably a year or more ago, to be honest) there seemed to be rather a dearth of YACFers between Durham and Edinburgh - unless Fboab can be persuaded out. My legs aren't up for doing a run too far over the border in a day, and besides, I'm not sure quite how some of these Border Reivers would take to my sassenach accent. The other possibility would be for us to take le baton for a drink at Tan Hill and see if anyone could be persuaded to meet us round Kirkby Stephen way.

Not that i'd refuse an invitation to Tan Hill, but Slowcoach has also missed something ;D

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40429.msg1634006#msg1634006

Mcshroom's offering to take it from Newcastle to Aberdeen (I think furrythingy is Aberdeen).

« Reply #1148 on: 30 January, 2014, 07:07:58 pm »
For some reason, my poor befuddled mind thought Mcshroom was going North to South and not the other way round. Seems an excellent idea to take le baton on a tour of the hostelries and cake shops of the North East until then...

« Reply #1149 on: 30 January, 2014, 07:09:09 pm »
It needs to do the west coast too, at some point...maybe once it's got to JoG it could go back to LE again?! :D