Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 180549 times)

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #200 on: 02 December, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »
The next day I have where I am not working is 6th dec, I could probably do any day that week weather permitting :)

I can't do the 6th but probably can the Tuesday. Ideally lunch time as I will be working, otherwise the Saturday.

As things currently stand I can do 6th. May need to wait until a bit closer to make sure the weather is OK, the only bike I own with knobbly tyres is a BSO I bought from the Daily Express circa 1992 and I haven't oiled it's chain since!

Feline, Monday 6th I will be in Oxfordshire for work, so I can only do the 7th or 8 or 9th , 10th or indeed during the weekend.

I could do 7th, 9th or that weekend weather permitting, I went out with the dogs on my dog bike just now and had to walk down my road because of the ice, it was quite scary!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #201 on: 06 December, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »
I have put myself on the map.

« Reply #202 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:41:59 pm »
The forecast for Saturday and Sunday is looking encouraging. Do you fancy a Saturday baton handover Panoramix? :)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #203 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:11:59 pm »
The forecast for Saturday and Sunday is looking encouraging. Do you fancy a Saturday baton handover Panoramix? :)

Yes!
Chief cat entertainer.

LEE

« Reply #204 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:16:11 pm »
Added Ham's good idea (Google map of willing Baton Carriers) to page 1 OP.

« Reply #205 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:19:07 pm »

Yes!

Excellent, well I will probably get there by riding to Yatton and hopping on train into Bristol (it takes me a couple of hours to ride all way into Bristol as I'm a slow coach!). Wherever and whatever time you fancy meeting I can do :)

LEE

« Reply #206 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:19:45 pm »
What happened to photos of AndyH and Panoramix handover?

AndyH

« Reply #207 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:44:20 pm »
My photos are less than impressive I'm afraid

I had to have a photo before the baton left my possesion

A blurry handover, hopefully Panoramix has a better one. This was taken by the (hungover) cafe owner

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #208 on: 06 December, 2010, 11:43:03 pm »
I'm also on the map now  :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LEE

« Reply #209 on: 07 December, 2010, 05:15:56 pm »

Yes!

Excellent, well I will probably get there by riding to Yatton and hopping on train into Bristol (it takes me a couple of hours to ride all way into Bristol as I'm a slow coach!). Wherever and whatever time you fancy meeting I can do :)

Remember that the Baton can't be transported by train (car/plane/motorbike.....etc)  just bicycle.

« Reply #210 on: 07 December, 2010, 05:21:05 pm »

Yes!

Remember that the Baton can't be transported by train (car/plane/motorbike.....etc)  just bicycle.

Yeah I may be getting on the train for some of the 23 miles into Bristol, not on the way back with the baton  ;D

The baton should hopefully be taking a nice scenic route over Clifton Suspension Bridge, through the Ashton Court estate, then out to Yatton on a partly off road NCN route, then Strawberry line (sustrans)  to home in Axbridge.
Alternatively I could ride the more direct but very lumpy route of going up straight over the mendip hills towards and down Cheddar gorge. In the summer that is my preferred route but it can get a bit bleak and windy up there in the winter!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #211 on: 07 December, 2010, 05:26:13 pm »

Out of purely academic interest, what's the verdict on small amounts of walking, bicycle-mounted catapults and the like?  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #212 on: 07 December, 2010, 05:27:49 pm »
Barbie missile horns etc...? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #213 on: 11 December, 2010, 11:30:36 am »
Today is the day for the baton to travel it's next stage!

Hopefully handover will be on Clifton Suspension Bridge at 2pm (so long as it does not become a legendary splashfuckit as prophesised by Kim  :o )
Pictures will hopefully follow.

« Reply #214 on: 11 December, 2010, 02:41:54 pm »
Now added PP to the yacflejog Google map.

Ready to collect at any mutually convenient time

« Reply #215 on: 11 December, 2010, 06:29:38 pm »
Well the baton is now in my grubby mits! A Clifton Suspension bridge handover took place, Panoramix and I had tea and cake, then the baton did a little 23 mile ride to Chateau Feline in Axbridge.

The route taken by the baton:

Panoramix at Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol:

Baton handover:

The baton chez feline awaiting it's next relay leg!

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #216 on: 11 December, 2010, 07:12:20 pm »
Im on the Google Map. Manchester Central. Anyhelp ? Maybe between Sheffield & Preston ?. PM anytime. John Diffley

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #217 on: 11 December, 2010, 09:44:10 pm »
Here are the photos from when Andy handed the baton over to me.

I had planned a nice route to Frome including cycle paths, but these turned out to be more adequate for ice skating than cycling:

It was time for a blast on the A37 and A362.

This is what happens when you try to take a photo with a camera that went from -2 to + 18 within a few minutes:

So we decided it was time for tea and let the camera acclimate itself ready to capture the official handover:

Apart from an artic who tried to send me off road, the return leg was pleasant and I even took the time to photograph mendip hills completely white.

For the record or those who thing that it is all about carbon fibre, here is the weight of the baton, may be this can help somebody to justify a super shiny and expensive groupset

or for those who still count in miles, stones and board feet:

2 weeks later I enrolled some extra power to climb Bristol hills:

With the promise of cake, the extra engine proved too powerful for the hitch of the tagalong bike and it is solo and late that I met Feline:

Chief cat entertainer.

LEE

« Reply #218 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:43:14 pm »

Panoramix is saying to Andy "Esu esaelp rood rehto "

Which is French for please use the other door.

gordon taylor

« Reply #219 on: 11 December, 2010, 11:13:47 pm »
What a great thread.

Would is be possible for LEE or a mod to update the thread title periodically to let us casual browsers know how close the baton is to our own neck of the woods?

No worries if not.

« Reply #220 on: 11 December, 2010, 11:27:57 pm »
The baton is currently near Cheddar.

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently near Cheddar
« Reply #221 on: 12 December, 2010, 12:38:32 pm »

Crikey! It's getting nearer my neck of the woods. Is Parretpeddlar's plan to take it down towards Exeter? My options are as follows...

1. Exeter area to Plymouth area by way of Dartmoor (Moretonhampstead - Warren House Inn - Princetown). A nice day out  :)

2. Two seperate journeys, Exeter back to mine near Totnes then Totnes to Plymouth when someone else further West pops their head up. Better not leave it too long at mine though or it might end up in the woodburner, our log piles getting low.

3. Anywhere else between the two cities if any other Devonian riders want to get involved. (This is best for me as I live equi-distant between Exeter & Plymouth and need to get to the baton handovers and back home in time for my tea ;))

« Reply #222 on: 12 December, 2010, 12:46:05 pm »

Crikey! It's getting nearer my neck of the woods. Is Parretpeddlar's plan to take it down towards Exeter? My options are as follows...

1. Exeter area to Plymouth area by way of Dartmoor (Moretonhampstead - Warren House Inn-Princetown). A nice day out  :)

2. Two seperate journeys, Exeter back to mine near Totnes then Totnes to Plymouth when someone else further West pops their head up. Better not leave it too long at mine though or it might end up in the woodburner>

3. Anywhere else between the two cities if any other Devonian riders want to get involved. (This is best for me as I live equi-distant between Exeter & Plymouth and need to get to the baton handover and back home)

Yep don't mind bringing it Exeter direction, but prefer at this time of year to meet somewhere midway between Taunton and Exeter - say Willand or Cullompton?

As to dates, I have nothing fixed in mind as I have yet to arrange with Feline to bring it south from Axbridge. Normally I manage a to take half day off work, Wednesday a.m. but this depends upon the work diary.  Otherwise my cycling day is usually Saturday

LEE

« Reply #223 on: 13 December, 2010, 10:06:27 am »
What a great thread.

Would is be possible for LEE or a mod to update the thread title periodically to let us casual browsers know how close the baton is to our own neck of the woods?

No worries if not.

Simply check out the Bikely link on my original post, page 1.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #224 on: 13 December, 2010, 02:29:29 pm »
Cool idea, this! I'm on the map. Sadly I am not on any known route to Scotland, being an Eastern Angle (or a South Folk Saxon, if you prefer)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical