Author Topic: Considering the dark side  (Read 4987 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Considering the dark side
« Reply #25 on: 06 July, 2014, 12:08:20 am »
YMMV, but I've never found off-road cycle paths particularly appealing when my bike control has been substandard.  Traffic is so much more predictable than dogs and small children.

You'll find you get faster as you put the miles in.  It's a different set of muscles so it's almost like you're starting from scratch.

« Reply #26 on: 06 July, 2014, 03:05:27 pm »
You'll get it soon enough, I had it dead easy being on a trike
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #27 on: 06 July, 2014, 10:02:25 pm »
Last March I jumped on a recumbent for the first time. I was woefully inadequate in all the aspects you have identified for further practice. I rode my club Reliability Ride and came last with a paltry 13.3mph average speed. I seriously considered putting the thing in a skip. Today I went out on our club run for the first time on my recumbent. We rode nearly 60 miles at an average of 17.1mph and I had no problem keeping up. OK, it's not much to write home about but I was well-pleased. What I'm trying to say us - stick with it, it will get easier and you'll get faster.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 06 July, 2014, 10:10:15 pm »
And some of us would love a bike we could average 13mph on...

« Reply #29 on: 07 July, 2014, 08:35:32 pm »
Last March I jumped on a recumbent for the first time. I was woefully inadequate in all the aspects you have identified for further practice. I rode my club Reliability Ride and came last with a paltry 13.3mph average speed. I seriously considered putting the thing in a skip. Today I went out on our club run for the first time on my recumbent. We rode nearly 60 miles at an average of 17.1mph and I had no problem keeping up. OK, it's not much to write home about but I was well-pleased. What I'm trying to say us - stick with it, it will get easier and you'll get faster.

In one fowl (sorry) swoop you have me feel old, fat and unfit not in any specified order, I would feel chuffed if I averaged over 13mph, most I have averaged was 15mph and I bust a gut to get it, in fact I had to sit down when I got home and basking in the glory have a glass of celebratory wine   :P
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #30 on: 07 July, 2014, 08:56:18 pm »

most I have averaged was 15mph and I bust a gut to get it, in fact I had to sit down when I got home and basking in the glory have a glass of celebratory wine   :P

I didn't go into detail about how I felt when I got home. I, too, might pour myself a glass of wine when I'm able to walk as far as the fridge.

« Reply #31 on: 07 July, 2014, 09:19:39 pm »
 :)

« Reply #32 on: 09 July, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »
Just bought a 3rd? hand Challenge Hurricane. Fairly old but in good condition. Tested very briefly in our cul de sac and was surprised how different the steering/balance is. I think it will take quite a bit of practice. Any tips?

What steering do you have on it? If it's tiller, I strongly recommend moving to open cockpit. It's massively improved my handling all round. Also, beware of heel overlap. I just started commuting on the Fujin and this has been today's bugbear.

« Reply #33 on: 10 July, 2014, 10:20:53 am »
I managed about 30Km yesterday evening, mainly quieter roads and some paved cycle paths. Lots of people out enjoying the sun, so plenty of interested looks and comments ;D

Getting a bit better but still find starting can be tricky, especially on hills (gentle inclines really).

The bike has a tendency to drop the chain from chain-ring when free-wheeling over bumps, this be at least in part due dual drive gearing meaning there isn't a front dérailleur to help. May have to see if I can sort out some form of chain guard for inner side of chain-ring.

I also found I was suffering from sore neck when lying back in the seat (adjusted as high as possible). This may be just not being relaxed enough.

Found it surprising how riding involves such a different combination of muscles making me slower and more tired.

« Reply #34 on: 10 July, 2014, 10:24:11 am »
Just bought a 3rd? hand Challenge Hurricane. Fairly old but in good condition. Tested very briefly in our cul de sac and was surprised how different the steering/balance is. I think it will take quite a bit of practice. Any tips?

What steering do you have on it? If it's tiller, I strongly recommend moving to open cockpit. It's massively improved my handling all round. Also, beware of heel overlap. I just started commuting on the Fujin and this has been today's bugbear.
Steering is folding teller steer, and I think I'm getting more used to it. Havn't had any problems with heel overlap, although I havn't really mastered low speed tight turns where it might be and issue.

« Reply #35 on: 10 July, 2014, 10:56:48 pm »

Found it surprising how riding involves such a different combination of muscles making me slower and more tired.

I've found exactly the same. It's like learning to ride all over again. The good news is, though, that we can train on an upright bike the following day without suffering fatigue because we're using different muscles. :)

« Reply #36 on: 11 July, 2014, 01:51:24 pm »
Does the technique of balancing on a solo bent cause the fatigue because either I was incredibly lucky or a trike is easier, yes it took a while to get my bent legs but I didn't have the tiredness or problems with medium distance described

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 11 July, 2014, 08:28:12 pm »
Does the technique of balancing on a solo bent cause the fatigue because either I was incredibly lucky or a trike is easier, yes it took a while to get my bent legs but I didn't have the tiredness or problems with medium distance described

+1

A trike certainly isn't easier.  You have to work harder than on an equivalent bike to achieve the same speed.  I don't think balancing a bike causes fatigue in itself, unless you have barakta-style vestibular/visual problems.

I suppose seat angle and bottom bracket height will determine how much "bent legs" are needed.

Starting with plenty of upright fitness and no bent legs might lead to pacing issues?

« Reply #38 on: 12 July, 2014, 08:38:03 am »
I managed about 30Km yesterday evening, mainly quieter roads and some paved cycle paths. Lots of people out enjoying the sun, so plenty of interested looks and comments ;D

Getting a bit better but still find starting can be tricky, especially on hills (gentle inclines really).

The bike has a tendency to drop the chain from chain-ring when free-wheeling over bumps, this be at least in part due dual drive gearing meaning there isn't a front dérailleur to help. May have to see if I can sort out some form of chain guard for inner side of chain-ring.

I also found I was suffering from sore neck when lying back in the seat (adjusted as high as possible). This may be just not being relaxed enough.

Glad you are getting the hang of the bike, just to give you a bit of an "internet group hug" I too am learning to ride again with a Nazca Fuego. 

Funnily I have just taken the "open cockpit" steerer off and put a tiller steerer on. which I find much easier.  I have also just taken a carbon fibre framed (padded) head rest off as I can't use it with a seat mounted carrier and top box.

I have done about 100 miles in the past week and have now got used to riding in a straight line, I can drink and signal my intentions.

Starting is ok as long as I'm going straight ahead, but starting at juntions that also involve a left or right turn are a bit fraught as the bike insists on going straight on - obviously my lack of skill there, maybe pushing on pedals too hard?

I'm sure I (we) will get the hang of it, just practicing without making a fool of myself or getting knocked off/falling off is the hard bit!

« Reply #39 on: 14 July, 2014, 03:06:55 pm »
Keep at it Spikey.

I switched 15 months ago. I'd never been fast upright and despite the slowness uphill overall I seem faster on my Bacchetta. But the main benefit is comfort. I last did an SR series over a decade ago and after the 600 I was in bits. Just finished my first on a recumbent and even though I'm older I'm much less 'beaten up'.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5