Author Topic: This mobile broadband is pretty good  (Read 993 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
This mobile broadband is pretty good
« on: 16 January, 2011, 07:54:05 pm »
Our broadband and voice landline died a while back and as it was Christmas and I was under pressure to provide wikipedia etc to help with holiday homework, I forked out 9 euro for a bit of software for my phone. It turned my phone into a wifi point and we've been running the family stable of four laptops on it for weeks now.

The connection is solid and faster than our landline broadband.

Am in two minds as to whether to bother to sort the landline. The problem with it is that there's a long buried cable between the house and the BT box on the road and BT say it's my job to pay to relay it.

border-rider

Re: This mobile broadband is pretty good
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:55:56 pm »
We have the same issue, but with no mobile coverage :)

Satellite broadband for us - with a f'off big dish stuck to the outside of the kitchen.

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2011, 09:13:37 pm »
I'd suggest that you let BT know that you don't need them.   Business survives by looking after customers.   If BT don't see the value of working with you to sort the line then they deserve to lose the business. 

Pancho

« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2011, 09:19:16 pm »
To be honest, they're nothing but reasonable in their policy. Replacing the line will cost many thousands and, for potential customers like me, it just doesn't make business sense considering my monthly bill is about £20 a month.

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2011, 09:23:33 pm »
That is assuming that you stay there forever.   BT are hoping to offer all sorts of subscription services through the line.   You might not be their most profitable customer, but, you wont be a customer at all if you don't have a line.

Just my view you understand.   :)

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:11:49 pm »
Have you checked what your mobile data allowance is? Unlimited = something pathetically small.
I am nothing and should be everything

Pancho

« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:30:08 pm »
Have you checked what your mobile data allowance is? Unlimited = something pathetically small.

Oh yes, I've had a couple of emails telling me they're sticking another fiver on my tab. Of course, the current set up is financial nonsense (unless compared to paying thousands to fix the landline) but 3 (or "three"? how do you write it?) will let me have 15Gb a month for not much money.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #7 on: 17 January, 2011, 06:54:28 am »
Get a mifi and you won't have to tie up your phone (or have no BB when you are out.)

Pancho

« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2011, 05:20:01 pm »
Well, this 3 mifi thing I've just set up is pretty wizzy. Seems better than the vodafone based jury rigged phone that we've been using to date.

My only concern is is 15Gb a month enough? We not a family of inveterate film pirates but I think the odd iPlayer programme gets watched from time to time and, from my monitoring, that gobbles bytes and bits.