Author Topic: [HAMR] Why the need for more money?  (Read 17928 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Why the need for more money?
« Reply #25 on: 07 January, 2016, 06:31:21 am »
I highly doubt there is anything nefarious going on here. But it is fair to note that Steve's team leader has a long history of begging money and crew online for his own races. The British cycling community is littered with unhappy ex donors and crew. Many crew have quit his races in the middle of the events. Whether this is because of bad manners, poor leadership  or just the type of extreme and off-putting self-involvement one sometimes finds amongst ultra distance athletes, I do not know. But given the history it is not surprising to see TG's donors being treated in the same callous way. Which is a shame because he is by all accounts a really decent person.

If the above is true why did Hoppo get the job?

You would have to ask Steve.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 07 January, 2016, 06:55:40 am »
I highly doubt there is anything nefarious going on here. But it is fair to note that Steve's team leader has a long history of begging money and crew online for his own races. The British cycling community is littered with unhappy ex donors and crew. Many crew have quit his races in the middle of the events. Whether this is because of bad manners, poor leadership  or just the type of extreme and off-putting self-involvement one sometimes finds amongst ultra distance athletes, I do not know. But given the history it is not surprising to see TG's donors being treated in the same callous way. Which is a shame because he is by all accounts a really decent person.

If the above is true why did Hoppo get the job?

You would have to ask Steve.

So, do you think it is true?
It is simpler than it looks.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2016, 06:59:44 am »
As a former member of the team, I found his "management" style to be dysfunctional, but I was lead to believe by another member of this forum that he got the job because he put in many hours negotiating with The UMCA.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:04:00 am »
Jaded, does it matter what I think?

Despite the long-standing glaring need for changes to Steve's attempt and potential improvements being suggested, all in simple words for the hard of thinking, Steve's team is not changing their approach. The results will speak for themselves and will reflect appropriately on those making the decisions.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #29 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:11:54 am »
Jaded, does it matter what I think?

Despite the long-standing glaring need for changes to Steve's attempt and potential improvements being suggested, all in simple words for the hard of thinking, Steve's team is not changing their approach. The results will speak for themselves and will reflect appropriately on those making the decisions.

Well, you think it matters enough for you to comment on the thread. So yes, it matters. You appear to be on a mission - would be good to know why.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:14:52 am »
I want Steve to get the year record but he isn't going to, because of a heap of reasons. His team has not taken measures to reduce or eliminate those reasons. That's it, pure and simple.

« Reply #31 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:53:50 am »
I've altered my SO to the new account.  I have every faith that my donation will be used to support Steve or will be donated to the named charities.  Go Steve!!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #32 on: 07 January, 2016, 08:23:37 am »

I am happy to continue my support for Steve. Please can someone PM me the changed details?

H

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #33 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:06:38 am »

I am happy to continue my support for Steve. Please can someone PM me the changed details?

H

PM sent
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #34 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:16:27 am »
I've altered my SO to the new account.  I have every faith that my donation will be used to support Steve or will be donated to the named charities. Go Steve!!

Same here.

It would be nice to have a general overview of how the money is being spent at some point, what surplus there is and what plans there are at the end of the attempt (tricky given that we don't know when this will be), but I don't have any concerns about how it seems to be run. From the looks of it the change is just to make the money go directly to Steve's account rather than via Roger as it did before. With hindsight I'm sure they would have set up the original donations differently but no-one has a time machine to go back and fix that.

I'm more than happy for my money to be used in anything connected to his attempt; whether it's wasted on a train ticket or hotel booking than ends up not being used, for buying endless amounts of toilet roll, for part paying any income tax or to cover missed NI contributions he may or may not end up having to pay, anything really. I'm donating it to be used as he sees best and I trust him to do that. I also trust anyone else with access to the money not to take the piss with it, and they wouldn't be taking the piss with my money at this point, they'd be taking the piss with Steve's money as (by that point) it's his not mine.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #35 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:27:45 am »

H

PM sent

:thumbsup:

Cheers m'dears

H

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #36 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:36:27 am »
I want Steve to get the year record but he isn't going to, because of a heap of reasons. His team has not taken measures to reduce or eliminate those reasons. That's it, pure and simple.

There again is "I want". There a delightful post on another thread with "I want" in it several times.

This is actually about Steve, not any of the "I"s on here. You obviously have a problem with the team, but articulate this in a series of repetitive and negative posts on the forum, that dig at Steve.

I note there is also a post by you in the women's record thread saying she isn't riding fast enough. Kind of a meme. It's a bit tiring.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:51:28 am »

There again is "I want". There a delightful post on another thread with "I want" in it several times.

This is actually about Steve, not any of the "I"s on here. You obviously have a problem with the team, but articulate this in a series of repetitive and negative posts on the forum, that dig at Steve.

I note there is also a post by you in the women's record thread saying she isn't riding fast enough. Kind of a meme. It's a bit tiring.

I am definitely having a dig at Steve's team and particularly the decision-makers, which is obvious in the highlighted text.

I don't understand why my wanting Steve to get the year record is a bad thing. Doesn't just about everybody reading this thread want Steve to get the record?

« Reply #38 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:52:43 am »

Given that he stated what he wanted in answer to a direct question from you, your response seems, at best, contrived. I don't think this kind of thing is helping to advance the thread

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #39 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:44:57 pm »

Given that he stated what he wanted in answer to a direct question from you, your response seems, at best, contrived. I don't think this kind of thing is helping to advance the thread
I agree. I think you should stop replying to other's posts.  :P

It would be good for the relentless negativity to be toned down We know LWaB's position and probably don't need reminding of it again, again and again. The point has been made.

As for the money - it is an individual decision. There are already enough posts on this thread to let people make their own minds up.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #40 on: 07 January, 2016, 01:03:36 pm »
It would be good for the relentless negativity to be toned down We know LWaB's position and probably don't need reminding of it again, again and again. The point has been made.

As for the money - it is an individual decision. There are already enough posts on this thread to let people make their own minds up.

I prefer the term 'reality'.

I had already stopped explaining the 'lots of reasons' and stopped the 'Steve needs to ride 220-ish miles every single day till the finish' posts. It is blatantly obvious that the team isn't changing their approach, that Steve is not achieving the daily distances he requires and also obvious that a large number of people don't want to hear that. Jaded, I'll answer direct questions but otherwise I am leaving the train to continue to crash in slow motion. Does that make you happier?

« Reply #41 on: 07 January, 2016, 01:17:22 pm »

H

+1

And me please.

« Reply #42 on: 07 January, 2016, 01:37:17 pm »

And you've made that point again and again before. But here you asked him for his opinion and then get annoyed when he gives you an answer! It's no great surprise it hasn't changed from the previous time he stated his opinion. Amazing.

I may disagree with LWaB on several points, but many (not all) of LWaB's posts further the discussion in some way.

Endless posts about how you believe they're too negative are not furthering any discussion and just seem like an attempt to stifle debate. [EDIT] Feel free to keep making them though if you must, don't want to be hypocritical.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #43 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:05:12 pm »
Stifling debate by criticising posts either way...  ;)

Anyway, LWaB has said that he intends to reduce his outflow, with a nice personally directed metaphor. Chapeau.

Ben T

« Reply #44 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:15:49 pm »
As far as it looks to me personally the financial situation looks fine - they don't appear to have made any particular promises so none to break.
But then again I may be viewing it with the rose tinted specs of not having given any money in the first place, so haven't got any bad money to throw good money after.

« Reply #45 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:55:11 pm »

H

+1

And me please.

The details are, AFAIA, available on the donations page of Steve's website - http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/donate

(In fact, they're there as an image, so embedding it here might work ...)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #46 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:27:27 pm »
Stifling debate by criticising posts either way...  ;)

Anyway, LWaB has said that he intends to reduce his outflow, with a nice personally directed metaphor. Chapeau.

EDIT
My apologies, Jaded.  I'm told that a car crash in slow motion would have been a better turn of phrase.

« Reply #47 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:55:00 pm »

I agree. I think you should stop replying to other's posts.  :P

I'm sure there is some pearl of wisdom in there that led you to make this post but I can't find it!

« Reply #48 on: 07 January, 2016, 05:08:37 pm »

Oof, missed that first time round. That's low.

« Reply #49 on: 07 January, 2016, 05:42:57 pm »
I very much doubt it was deliberate. Nobody here would be that much of an utter c**t.