Author Topic: The Bread Thread  (Read 109762 times)

Re: The Bread Thread
« Reply #600 on: 01 February, 2021, 11:35:58 am »
I've been baking my own bread, only buying the occasional baguette, for more years than I care to think about. Right now, I have zero time, so I bought bread. From Waitrose, "bakers" loaves, so I thought would be ok. Jeez, is THAT what people think bread is supposed to be? The white was reasonable, but the wholemeal was puffy shite.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #601 on: 01 February, 2021, 12:25:46 pm »
I've been baking my own bread, only buying the occasional baguette, for more years than I care to think about. Right now, I have zero time, so I bought bread. From Waitrose, "bakers" loaves, so I thought would be ok. Jeez, is THAT what people think bread is supposed to be? The white was reasonable, but the wholemeal was puffy shite.

This is entirely the reason I decided to finally start making the effort to make my own regularly, rather than as a 'special occasion' thing.

I really don't know why I put up with shit bread for so many years. It's not like it's difficult to make your own, nor even necessarily all that time-consuming.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #602 on: 01 February, 2021, 04:12:42 pm »
Well duh.
Bought bread isn't nice enough to tempt me. Home made is. Special occasion it shall remain.

citoyen

« Reply #603 on: 01 February, 2021, 04:57:46 pm »
Bought bread isn't nice enough to tempt me.

Yes, there is that. I have been known to devour as much as half a loaf as soon as it's cool enough to cut into. I just can't resist fresh bread. I'm amazed I don't have diabetes yet.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #604 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:37:46 pm »
Right then hipsters. Sourdough. Do you knead or are you a disciple of stretch and fold? Or something of a mixture? Just to see what else is out there I've been watching too many YouTube videos, all which seem to be different.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #605 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:41:40 pm »
I shove it in the mixer.

« Reply #606 on: 06 February, 2021, 02:24:04 pm »
What I call kneading has a large element of stretch and fold. Unless it's my ciabatta, which gets a stretch and fold in the bowl with very little squashing.

citoyen

« Reply #607 on: 06 February, 2021, 03:33:22 pm »
I usually knead but I'm not a disciple of anything. I'll just follow the recipe and hope I get tasty bread as a result. As far as I can tell, stretch and fold seems to be primarily a way of working with very wet and sticky doughs - and these will form gluten without kneading because of the high water content and long fermentation time. But others OTP know a lot more about this than me.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #608 on: 07 February, 2021, 10:49:10 pm »
I'm working on ways to improve the loaf shape, so watching a lot of Youtube on that, plus practice. I watched Bake With Jack and had a go at the technique there - no kneading, three lots of stretch and fold, then a preshape followed by a shape.   A shade higher hydration than I normally use (72% instead of 67%).  Good looking (and tasting loaf), still a bit of sticking to the basket and it could have done with a touch longer in the oven, but I'm quite pleased.

« Reply #609 on: 12 February, 2021, 11:06:31 pm »
My latest invention is sourdough sodabread. An emergency recipe for when you forgot to bake the usual bread and run out of bread and all 3 starters need refreshing. You can have a loaf coming out within an hour of starting it so long as you put the oven to heat before you do anything else.

Take a bowl of the leavings from refreshing your starters. Ideally been left in fridge at least a week so nicely acidic.

Add enough Balachdre Rustic flour to get a soft dough.

Chuck in salt and a good helping of bicarb.

Knead a bit to mix it up.

Pop in a round tin, into a preheated oven and bake for 30 min or so.

It looked unpretty and is a bit crumbly ( though not dry), but boy it tastes soooooo good, even better with a bit of butter on and topped with some Somerset brie.

GC

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #610 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:42:21 pm »
Anyone got a recipe for a nice bread involving caraway seeds?

A few years ago a Hungarian bloke who worked with us for a while made a caraway bready thing. It was really nice so I thought I should make some. Still not got around to it...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #611 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:46:10 pm »
Try

http://boroughmarket.org.uk/recipes/rye-spelt-loaf

I made it over Christmas and is was very good.
MrsC then requested a version without caraway (so I didn't put any of the other seeds in either) and that was also rather scrummy.

Both are probably better toasted.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #612 on: 13 February, 2021, 03:54:18 pm »
Anyone got a recipe for a nice bread involving caraway seeds?

A few years ago a Hungarian bloke who worked with us for a while made a caraway bready thing. It was really nice so I thought I should make some. Still not got around to it...
I'd just throw a bunch of caraway seeds in a standard wholemeal or rye mix.

I love caraway seeds, put them in random dishes when Mr Smith isn't looking.

citoyen

The Bread Thread
« Reply #613 on: 13 February, 2021, 04:19:14 pm »
I used to have a really good recipe for an Eastern European (possibly Russian) dark rye bread made with plenty of caraway seeds, and orange juice. I think it also contained treacle and lots of butter. It was truly delicious.

Lost in the mists of time though. I think I got it from BBC Good Food magazine.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #614 on: 13 February, 2021, 04:39:07 pm »
I used to have a really good recipe for an Eastern European (possibly Russian) dark rye bread made with plenty of caraway seeds, and orange juice. I think it also contained treacle and lots of butter. It was truly delicious.

Lost in the mists of time though. I think I got it from BBC Good Food magazine.
Rye bread with caraway seeds and treacle sounds familiar to me. This certainly isn't the recipe you lost but with a bit of luck it might be similar:
http://truffle-in-a-rum-chocolate.blogspot.com/2016/04/chleb-zytnio-gryczany-z-melasa-i.html
Chleb żytnio-gryczany, z melasą i kminkiem

Zaczyn:
2 łyżki zakwasu żytniego
160 g wody
100g mąki żytniej razowej
50 g mąki gryczanej

Wszystkie składniki wymieszać, miskę szczelnie przykryć folią i zostawić w temp. pokojowej na 10-12 godz.

Ciasto właściwe:
cały zaczyn
1/3 łyżeczka drożdży instant
2 łyżeczki soli
400 g wody
400 g mąki żytniej razowej
100 g mąki gryczanej
1 łyżeczka nasion kminku (całych, nie mielonych)
1 szczypta mielonej kolendry
1 łyżka dowolnej melasy, słodu, syropu lub ciemnego miodu
2 tablespoons rye starter
160g water
100g wholemeal rye flour
50g buckwheat flour

Mix, leave to rise for 10-12 hours

Dough
whole starter
1/3 teaspoon instant yeast
2 teaspoons salt
400g water
400g wholemeal rye flour
400g buckwheat flour
1 teaspoon whole caraway seeds
a pinch of ground coriander
1 tablespoon treacle or honey etc
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #615 on: 13 February, 2021, 05:19:28 pm »

I have a 2lb loaf tin. How much flour should I use to make a loaf to go in a 2lb loaf tin. 900g seems... excessive.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

The Bread Thread
« Reply #616 on: 13 February, 2021, 05:22:30 pm »

I have a 2lb loaf tin. How much flour should I use to make a loaf to go in a 2lb loaf tin. 900g seems... excessive.

J

For that size tin, I would use 500g flour (with 300g water).

It’s not an exact science but 900g is definitely way too much.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #617 on: 13 February, 2021, 05:44:40 pm »
J

My 2lb ancient 'Prestige' loaf tins - measure externally: 9¼" x 5¼" x 2¾"

I use 650g total mix of flours + 200g mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds - and around 400ml water

And that's just lovely :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #618 on: 13 February, 2021, 05:47:05 pm »
J

My 2lb ancient 'Prestige' loaf tins - measure externally: 9¼" x 5¼" x 2¾"

I was about to ask "Wtf is that in real units" then realised I did ask about a 2lb loaf tin, so it's kinda my own fault.

I got it on amazon uk back when I could order things from the UK easily. Wish i had got two now...

I use 650g total mix of flours + 200g mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds - and around 400ml water

And that's just lovely :)

Need to work this one out. I normally make a pizza, and then use the left over dough to make a loaf. So I need to end up with 500g flour's worth of dough after I've taken the fist size lump for my pizza...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #619 on: 13 February, 2021, 06:36:35 pm »

What do you all cover your dough with while it proves? Last time so used a ramp tea towel, like I always have done, and when the dough rose enough to touch it, removing the tea towel meant all the gas for let out the dough and I got dwarven battle bread. The dough is in a 900g loaf tin.. 
--

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #620 on: 13 February, 2021, 06:40:40 pm »

What do you all cover your dough with while it proves? Last time so used a ramp tea towel, like I always have done, and when the dough rose enough to touch it, removing the tea towel meant all the gas for let out the dough and I got dwarven battle bread. The dough is in a 900g loaf tin..
My current recipe has uncovered dough, so not much help.

Have you dried dusting the top of the dough with flour?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #621 on: 13 February, 2021, 06:44:01 pm »

No I haven't. Would that cause issues with the dry flour and damp tea towel?

J
--

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #622 on: 13 February, 2021, 06:59:51 pm »

No I haven't. Would that cause issues with the dry flour and damp tea towel?

J
Hmm. I'd go for a light dusting and a dry tea towel rather than damp.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #623 on: 13 February, 2021, 07:15:43 pm »

Hmm. I'd go for a light dusting and a dry tea towel rather than damp.

Shall give that a go. Timer just went ping, so time to make the pizza and put the rest of the dough in it's loaf tin.

J
--

citoyen

« Reply #624 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:08:38 pm »
I was about to ask "Wtf is that in real units" then realised I did ask about a 2lb loaf tin, so it's kinda my own fault.

It’s a nominal measurement anyway and there will be much variation in capacity between 2lb loaf tins from different manufacturers.

If translating it into metric, you’d call it a 1kg tin rather than 900g.