Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3012797 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
That's rather droll, Woolly!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

There's an advert lady on the radiogram who keeps shouting VEGAN BALLS. I'm sure there's more to the advert (Subway, I think) but all I hear is VEGAN BALLS.

Which sounds wrong. I don't want vegan balls. I'm not even sure it's treatable.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
There's an advert lady on the radiogram who keeps shouting VEGAN BALLS. I'm sure there's more to the advert (Subway, I think) but all I hear is VEGAN BALLS.

Which sounds wrong. I don't want vegan balls. I'm not even sure it's treatable.

I'm pretty sure it's incurable.  My evidence for this being that colossal bellend Piers "Morgan" Moron starts frothing at the mouth every time he so much as hears the word "vegan".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Maybe he's scared of getting VEGAN BALLS.

fuzzy

Piers Moron froths at the mouth because he doesn't hear VEGAN, he hears VOGON and he is worried that Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz is going to replace the lovely Susanna Reid and do poetry at him.

Beardy

• Shedist
The delivery driver from Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles seems to have gone off piste. I called their help line to enquire after a no show and they were unable to contact him. As they promised to ring me back with an update once they had contacted him, I’m assuming they still haven’t been able to do so. I’m rather hoping it’s nothing serious....
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
An alleged pickpocket is in too deep with the law after stealing 30 mobile phones and hiding them in his cycling shorts during a concert in Amsterdam.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/amsterdam-zuidoost-sum-41-gig-pickpocket-phones-cycling-shorts-a9306401.html
Boggle!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
An alleged pickpocket is in too deep with the law after stealing 30 mobile phones and hiding them in his cycling shorts during a concert in Amsterdam.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/amsterdam-zuidoost-sum-41-gig-pickpocket-phones-cycling-shorts-a9306401.html
Boggle!

Maybe they all started vibrating at once.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

It’s the whole bag of wilful stupidity that I can’t grasp, from the why 'how can the atmosphere stay on a ball without a container' though to the 'you’ve not seen it’s round so it can’t be round' arguments. I did try the scientific method and peer review counter arguments they were dismissed with the  'lots of words but no proof' response (with another personal insult!). I think a tactical withdrawal is the most sensible approach.
I did try talking (online) with a flat earther once. When I offered up the ship/land dropping below the horizon evidence, he said I was wrong, that doesn't happen. When I responded with the statement that not only had I observed it happen, but used it as a navigation aid, he just told me I was imagining things, because it doesn't happen. It doesn't occur because the earth is flat.

There is absolutely no point of discussing this with these people. They have no intent in listening to evidence, they are just nutters.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

It’s the whole bag of wilful stupidity that I can’t grasp, from the why 'how can the atmosphere stay on a ball without a container' though to the 'you’ve not seen it’s round so it can’t be round' arguments. I did try the scientific method and peer review counter arguments they were dismissed with the  'lots of words but no proof' response (with another personal insult!). I think a tactical withdrawal is the most sensible approach.
I did try talking (online) with a flat earther once. When I offered up the ship/land dropping below the horizon evidence, he said I was wrong, that doesn't happen. When I responded with the statement that not only had I observed it happen, but used it as a navigation aid, he just told me I was imagining things, because it doesn't happen. It doesn't occur because the earth is flat.

There is absolutely no point of discussing this with these people. They have no intent in listening to evidence, they are just nutters.

If the earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything moveable off the edge by now.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
There's a whole Discworld book in that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Guy

• Retired
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Chris S

I bought us Gammon for the weekend. Seemed fitting.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I took Molly the Dog for a 5 mile walk this morning and then returned her to Penny the Pal. As happens often, Penny made me a Nice Pot of Tea. During today's wide-ranging natterings I learned something pretty extraordinary about how Penny's parents first met.

Penny is a Bristolian by origin and then spent quite a bit of her early life in Camerton, curiously, less than a mile from where an aunt of mine lived, in Tunley, but that's irrelevant to this particular anecdote. Penny's dad was never called up for military service as, due to a motor cycle accident when he was 18, one of his legs was about 2" shorter than the other. He was an architect and he was attached to Bristol Airfield. This was not exactly a cushy number as Bristol was always being bombed and the airfield was no exception to this.

Air raid shelter spaces were generally allocated according to office and, to and extent, rank. Penny's dad was quite senior, and shared an office with similar types. One particular air raid, an acquaintance of his suggested that they swap places for that raid as said acquaintance wanted to do a bit of brown-nosing with senior staff. Penny's dad therefore made his way to another shelter, which was where he met Penny's mum, who was a telephonist. Their first conversation was about the fact that the last time he had tried to phone someone up, she had connected him to the dogs' home, and things burgeoned from there.

Meanwhile, the other shelter received a direct hit and everyone in it was killed.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
On this morning's dog empty, we came across a playing card at the side of the road.  3 of clubs, I noted.  A little further on, another, which I was surprised to see was also the 3 of clubs.  A few feet beyond that, a card lay face down.  I stooped to turn it over.  Yup. 3 of clubs.  When I spotted the next card, also face down, I didn't bother to check.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

But where was Blodwyn Pig?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
But where was Blodwyn Pig?

Trying to fit a magician in his Carradice.

Well that just made me laugh so hard I farted. Good job Kim :thumbs up:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24770 on: 01 February, 2020, 01:37:23 pm »
I reckon Blod is really a Womble in disguise
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24771 on: 02 February, 2020, 12:15:44 pm »
On this morning's dog empty, we came across a playing card at the side of the road.  3 of clubs, I noted.  A little further on, another, which I was surprised to see was also the 3 of clubs.  A few feet beyond that, a card lay face down.  I stooped to turn it over.  Yup. 3 of clubs.  When I spotted the next card, also face down, I didn't bother to check.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I was taking a crap."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24772 on: 02 February, 2020, 03:41:47 pm »

"I'm sorry I'm late. I was taking a crap."
Nah, craps is a dice game.  ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #24774 on: 05 February, 2020, 11:12:10 am »
At Edge Hill station getting a train to my GP in Huyton.  A poor young woman  there asking for directions to Edge Hill Uni.  She’s got an interview at 12

Edge Hill Uni is in Ormskirk, several miles away. She needs to get to Liverpool Lime St, then Liverpool Central, then Ormskirk, then bus or taxi.   Either that or a very expensive taxi ride  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark