Author Topic: Utility Supplier / Broadband provider in Southampton  (Read 1275 times)

Utility Supplier / Broadband provider in Southampton
« on: 16 September, 2019, 03:01:07 pm »
As I 've mentioned in other posts, my GLW now works in Southampton. So after a year of her, and sometimes but less often me, travelling between London and Southampton and the Isle of Wight to see each other we have now taken a lease on a flat in Southampton.
It will now mostly be me getting the early morning coach to London.

Currently setting up the utilities. Octopus looks like the one I 'll choose for dual fuel but do those of you who live  Southampton have any views on Broadband suppliers. We will be living in the city centre.
Are they of a muchness?
Anything else I need to know about Southampton...

rob

Re: Utility Supplier / Broadband provider in Southampton
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:33:59 pm »
There's cheaper energy suppliers out there than Octopus now but they are well funded, expanding and likely to stick around.   They get pretty good customer service ratings as well.

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2019, 10:03:20 am »
Thank you I always see cheaper deals but they are  invariably offered by firms I 've never heard of and who are often "not there" the next time I look. Seems that the Landlord has an SSE contract and shifting whilst possible may be troublesome.

Now to  do battle with broadband suppliers.

rob

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2019, 10:28:54 am »
I had similar when I rented a place.  The supplier was BG but I managed to get onto one of their better tariffs rather than pay standard variable.   There have been about 10 suppliers go bust in the last year, but I would be less worried about suppliers appearing and disappearing from the switching sites.   You can configure your offers to take on e.g. 500 customers and then pull them.   Often suppliers are traying to grow in a controlled way and will only leave competitive rates out for a certain period of time.

SSE have agreed to sell their supply business to OVO.   I'm not sure how long it will take to migrate everything over as it's a few million customers so I'd keep an eye on the process.