Random Musings > Skip Bike and Bodge It

Reader's bodges

<< < (2/25) > >>

rogerzilla:

--- Quote from: Bodger on 08 April, 2008, 11:15:29 am ---Here’s oldie but a goodie to start you off. 

Keeping your hub bodies clean.  Why bother with all that agro with the toothbrush between the spokes?  Just put a strap loosely around the hub (an Armstrong L1vestrong wrist band works well) and as the wheel turns the strap will jump about and stop most of the dirt accumulating.

--- End quote ---

Except you can't get it on there except when building a wheel  ;D

Old-skool CTC types use a little buckled leather saddlebag strap.

Chris N:

--- Quote from: Bodger on 08 April, 2008, 11:15:50 am ---Things to do with old inner tubes #1.  Don’t spend your hard earned wedge on Marsas tape, just split the old inner tube open length ways, wind it around your handlebars, secure with a bit of electrical tape and put the normal bar tape on top.   Added comfort at no expense and one less tube on the landfill site.

--- End quote ---

Matt Chester recommends mouse mats to pad handlebars - cut to fit and wrap tape over the top.

Polar Bear:
I know an old chap who uses old inner tubes to weatherproof his headsets.  He cuts old ones up so he has six inch lengths.  Then, double wraps them over the top and bottom once a year when he removes the forks for a check and regrease before winter.

rogerzilla:
You can boot a ripped tyre with a piece of folded crisp packet; it will stay in place when the tube is inflated.  Don't use a piece of fag packet as it will shred within a few miles - I found this out the hard way (and before anyone asks, I don't smoke; it was just the first thing I found lying about).

PeterM:
Last Saturday, on a 200 perm, I traced a rattle on the fixie to a loose mudguard bolt, then discovered my multitool didn't have an allen key of the right size for the bolt.  I tightened the bolt as far as I could with Finger Power (tm), then stretched a bit of rubber band between bolt and mudguard stay to serve as an impromptu washer.

No more rattly mudguard misery...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version