Author Topic: Garmin eTrex 20/30 Firmware 3.7  (Read 2432 times)

321up

• 59° N
Garmin eTrex 20/30 Firmware 3.7
« on: 07 May, 2014, 12:35:02 pm »
I noticed that a new firmware update for the eTrex 20/30 has been released:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5553

Bearing in mind the debacles of the last few Oregon releases I'd wait a few weeks to see what the suckers early adopters have to say  ;D

Version 3.7 is now available:

Change History
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70:

Improved total ascent and total descent calculations
    Improved average ascent, average descent, and vertical speed data fields

Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.60:

Fixed issue retrieving PLSS data in certain TOPO US 24k maps

Has anyone tried version 3.7?

Mines on 3.5, is it worth updating?  Looking at the change log it's just the trip counter calculations & US maps that are affected: so it's probably not worth updating (as long as the recorded track data is ok?).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Garmin eTrex 20/30 Firmware 3.7
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2014, 03:14:28 pm »
I would never update any working device unless I saw a particular feature that would benefit me in the way that I use it. 
Looking at the change log I don't see anything worthwhile since 3.2, nothing really serious since 2.9
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2014, 05:57:13 pm »
+1 to what frankie says.

Stay well away.

Use the potential hassle time you've saved by going for a bike ride.

Unless my Etrex 20 started doing something really weird (the occasional freeze is fine by me) I'd always stick with what I have.

I update the maps now and then of course.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2014, 10:08:16 am »
I installed it a while back.
I've noticed that the battery life seems somewhat shorter than it used to be.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2014, 10:37:01 am »
PS

My Etrex 20 is on version 3.00

Never felt like going further after the upgrade to that went all tits up and the Garmin helpline advice (which to give them credit did work) contradicted the direst warnings about not doing certain things in the original update advice.

Frankie's post strongly implied that I'm not losing much by sticking at this point.

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2014, 04:23:28 pm »
I've been using 3.70 for a while now. I haven't experienced any problems with it or noticed any difference with battery life. It worked faultlessly on the 3 Down and Severn Across. For me, 3.60 kept crashing and was sluggish on the start up and also when drawing the map. So anything is better than that!