Author Topic: How to create routes for a GPS using an Android Smartphone  (Read 1750 times)

321up

• 59° N
How to create routes for a GPS using an Android Smartphone
« on: 15 September, 2014, 12:06:49 pm »
This method allows us to create GPS routes when away from home without a computer and without internet connection.  We have a USB OTG (USB On The Go) cable to connect our Garmin (Etrex30) to an Android Smartphone (Sony Xperia Z) - this allows to access the files on our Etrex30 from the smartphone.  We have the Viewranger app on the phone to create routes (newer versions of viewranger allow gpx route exports).  To do this we use...

• Sony Xperia Z (Android Smartphone, other makes/models may also work)
  • eTrex30 (other makes/models may also work)
  • USB OTG cable (micro USB plug to USB socket)
  • mini USB cable (USB plug to micro USB plug - i.e. the same cable you use to connect the GPS to a computer)
  • Viewranger Android App with Ordnance Survey 1:50000 maps (other app's and maps may also be available)
  • Android file manager (should be pre-installed on the phone, the app name may differ between devices/manufacturers)

1)  Create a route using the Viewranger App.  Only a small number of waypoints are required to define the route that you want to go as the eTrex30 will generate the shortest route between these.  Place the waypoints on roads you want to go down, but not on junctions (to avoid the garmin directing you the wrong way then telling you to do a u-turn  ::-))

2)  Save the route to a file.  This creates a gpx file in route format in the Viewranger folder.

3)  Connect the garmin to the phone using the USB OTG cable.  Wait for the garmin to startup in USB mode (if it does not go into usb mode check the garmin settings).  The phone should automatically detect and mount the garmin filesystem.

4)  Use the Android file manager to copy the gpx route file from the phone viewranger folder to the garmin gpx folder.

5)  Unmount the garmin file system (phone: settings-storage) then unplug the usb cables

6)  Load the route on the Garmin ('where to' 'routes').  The Garmin will give you navigation prompts if it has a suitable map.

NOTE: 

Not all Android phones/tablets will support USB OTG, its more likely to work with newer devices.  If it does not work then you could try updating the Android system software (but be aware that a system update may introduce changes that you might not like - at least until you get used to them).

Our USB OTG cable only cost £1.78 from Amazon (by PowerPlus) - cheap enough that I could buy the cable without knowing if it would work just to try it and find out.

This mini guide assumes knowledge beyond what is stated here.  I've tried to give a few clues, but I don't have time to create a detailed guide on every aspect of settings & software.

This method is similar to using the garmin 'where to' waypoint, but the route file created by this method can contain multiple waypoints (up to a Garmin limited maximum of 50) to define the route that you want to use rather than a shorter alternative the Garmin may direct you down otherwise.  Using this method you will be at the mercy of the Garmin routing ::-) between the waypoints on the route.  Don't blame me if it sends you down a bridleway or retraces to go a longer route instead of the road you want to use!  If that happens then just navigate the way you want to go for that section using the maps on your smartphone app and the Garmin should recalculate it's route for the remainder of the journey.