Author Topic: Torn calf muscle  (Read 1826 times)

Torn calf muscle
« on: 16 February, 2019, 08:43:28 pm »
Happened 2 weeks ago, pain now subsided so I can walk without a limp but after a walk pain comes back and muscle spasms like cramp. Doc says it's variable for healing but to keep moving/walking until all pain is gone, then start cycling again building up speed and distance. I'm starting to worry a bit as I've got a race season and qualifiers for Paris - Brest - Paris starting soon.

Has anybody had similar and if so how long before riding bike again?

Re: Torn calf muscle
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2019, 10:17:22 pm »
Yeah.

I had initial assessment from a phsyio ~ 1 week after (when I was off the crutches), started re-hab 1 week later and was more or less functional after 2 months. This was a pretty severe tear.
Heel lowers/raises are your friend. Best done on a stair case. Start with both feet (and hand support if needed).
Start with lowers, added raises when strong enough and then go to single foot.
Once you can do single foot raises without too much discomfort, buy a skipping rope and start skipping.
Exercises should be done to an uncomfortable level, but no sharp pain.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2019, 10:50:52 pm »
I tore a calf muscle skiing four years ago.  I was back on the bike after about six weeks I think, though I was a bit tentative about it for a while.  The tear bled and then they found a blood clot, which may have delayed things a bit.  I was certainly a bit hesitant about getting back on the bike while still on the warfarin.

Its more than 10 years since I did much audax, so I wasn't going back to PBP qualifier level of activity, and I was 56 when I tore it.  By the summer I'd pretty much forgotten about it.  If you are younger and fitter, I'd guess you'd recover much faster.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2019, 11:01:51 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2019, 06:45:52 am »
Thanks all, to put mine is perspective, it started out as a suspected thrombosis, blood test showed positive for clotting proteins yet ultrasound showed no restriction in blood flow hence follow on diagnosis of tear, although I didn't have another ultrasound for damage, I don't think it's too severe though. I'm 56!

I'll start on calf raises.

My worry is first PBP qual starts end of March and I'm loosing fitness already!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2019, 09:10:58 am »
Bummer.  I gave myself a partial quad tear a week after the UAF PBP in 2006, blithely shoving hard up a hill with legs still a bit stiff. Like a professional eejit I just waited for the pain to subside and did another 60-odd km, earning a round of applause with icing on top from the doc. He told me to put an alcohol/water compress on it and take a week off, which I did.  I've had a bit of a hollow there ever since and at times it gets a bit sore.

I hope yours clears up before the cobwebs set in.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2019, 08:50:38 pm »
The past 5 days has seen a marked reduction in pain, no need to limp, the cramps/spasms have stopped and I managed a light effort 45 minute session on the rollers, I'm feeling confident that as long as I don't go daft I'll be ok.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 20 February, 2019, 08:29:41 am »
I was going to say don't stand on the pedals next time out, but looking at your avatar...

Good luck.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 21 February, 2019, 10:12:31 am »
 :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 21 February, 2019, 01:41:00 pm »
I was going to say don't stand on the pedals next time out, but looking at your avatar...

Nahh, it's easier for darksiders to overdo it that way; they've got a seat to push against.  (DAHIKT)

Sounds like you're making good progress, yanto   :thumbsup: