Author Topic: Captain Tom  (Read 15510 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Captain Tom
« Reply #75 on: 04 May, 2020, 11:49:16 am »
Have lots of centenarians died due to undertaking athletic fundraising efforts then?

« Reply #76 on: 04 May, 2020, 11:54:36 am »
Gotta say I don't like his paintings either.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #77 on: 04 May, 2020, 12:03:13 pm »
Have lots of centenarians died due to undertaking athletic fundraising efforts then?

The probability of a centenarian dying within 5 years of undertaking exercise is very high, so yes  :D :P

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #78 on: 04 May, 2020, 12:10:19 pm »

The probability of a centenarian dying within 5 years of undertaking exercise is very high, so yes  :D :P

Indeed, but I was just tweaking ian's tail!

ian

« Reply #79 on: 04 May, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »

If they haven't, they should be moving faster.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Davef

« Reply #81 on: 05 May, 2020, 09:41:16 am »
She's the oldest that I've seen so far:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-52491703?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk&link_location=live-reporting-story
I am working on extending my veloviewer max square to 103x103 before my 103rd birthday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #82 on: 20 May, 2020, 07:24:08 am »
Captain Tom Moore awarded knighthood for NHS fundraising

What an extraordinary turn of events. So often in history the right person was in the right place at the right time, and so this time it is Captian Sir Tom Moore's turn.

Wholly deserved.

Trouble is, you can see the cynics in N° 10 sitting round and saying "what'll play well with the punters and not cost anything?  I know, let's give that walker bloke a K".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #83 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:03:29 am »

What an extraordinary turn of events. So often in history the right person was in the right place at the right time, and so this time it is Captian Sir Tom Moore's turn.

Wholly deserved.

Trouble is, you can see the cynics in N° 10 sitting round and saying "what'll play well with the punters and not cost anything?  I know, let's give that walker bloke a K".

Is it?

I know people who have spent a lifetime of selfless service to the country and never received anything to mark their efforts, despite applications being made, an old bloke walks up and down his garden, people go crazy for a distraction and the next minute he's being knighted.

The whole bloody system is a joke, Why don't they just make him sodding king next and be done with it.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #84 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:17:27 am »

Wholly deserved.

Is it?

I know people who have spent a lifetime of selfless service to the country and never received anything to mark their efforts, despite applications being made, an old bloke walks up and down his garden, people go crazy for a distraction and the next minute he's being knighted.

The whole bloody system is a joke, Why don't they just make him sodding king next and be done with it.
:thumbsup:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #85 on: 20 May, 2020, 10:13:28 am »
The honours system is a corrupt and patronising mess.

Capt. Tom seems like a decent enough bloke but in harsh reality there are NHS workers who have given their lives during this pandemic and so so many who have worked tirelessly and at great risk due to our inept politicians putting popularity first.

The recognition of the sacrifices made by those front line workers and many more looks increasingly like being a two year public sector pay freeze though I guess that will not apply to MP's.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #86 on: 20 May, 2020, 10:17:15 am »
Some old white dude get a knighthood...

whilst a brown guy gets a £27,000 bill.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/18/british-army-veteran-faces-27000-nhs-hospital-bill
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #87 on: 20 May, 2020, 10:27:47 am »
I'm sure he's a nice bloke and good on him, but he's still being cynically used.

I could do without the entire 'heroism' narrative too. People are doing their jobs. Perhaps if we think those jobs are important, we should think a bit more on that, rather than awarding them shitty pay and treating them too often as an immigration problem.

Anyway, I hope they enjoy the applause because that's all they'll be getting. At the end of this, they'll probably get a certificate with their name spelled incorrectly on it. Thanks. Pay rise? Soz, we're bankrupt.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #88 on: 20 May, 2020, 12:50:11 pm »
Anyway, I hope they enjoy the applause because that's all they'll be getting. At the end of this, they'll probably get a certificate with their name spelled incorrectly on it. Thanks. Pay rise? Soz, we're morally bankrupt.

FTFY
Pen Pusher

« Reply #89 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:17:18 pm »

Wholly deserved.

Is it?

Exactly. He walks no further than any other particular centenarian. He did 10 laps per day for 10 days and looks a lot better for it.

« Reply #90 on: 21 May, 2020, 07:56:18 am »
Anyway, I hope they enjoy the applause because that's all they'll be getting. At the end of this, they'll probably get a certificate with their name spelled incorrectly on it. Thanks. Pay rise? Soz, we're bankrupt.
And all those bods who stand at the podium giving the daily covid-19 news conferences will get gongs. >:( It's a fact. You've read it here.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #91 on: 21 May, 2020, 10:36:53 am »

Wholly deserved.

Is it?

I see your point. He did raise a £33 million for the NHS, though. Maybe an MBE? Hell, the Beatles got that, and McCartney got a whole K.

ian

« Reply #92 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:24:48 am »
To be pedantic, he raised money for NHS charities and not the NHS. I'm sure I pay a big hunk of tax to support the NHS (which is how it should be, healthcare shouldn't be a charitable provision).

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #93 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:54:34 am »
To be pedantic, he raised money for NHS charities and not the NHS. I'm sure I pay a big hunk of tax to support the NHS (which is how it should be, healthcare shouldn't be a charitable provision).
+1
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #94 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:16:09 pm »
I wonder how many CEOs of those charities are on six-figure salaries? Just askin'.

ian

« Reply #95 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:22:26 pm »
Tbh, I imagine running any major national or international charity is a significant job with extensive responsibilities, so I don't think a modest six-figure salary is that unreasonable.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #96 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:51:38 pm »

Looking at the functions of NHS charities, it looks as if they're doing things that the NHS should be doing anyway.

« Reply #97 on: 05 July, 2023, 09:14:23 am »
I'm sure he's a nice bloke and good on him, but he's still being cynically used.

You were right!

« Reply #98 on: 05 July, 2023, 09:58:48 am »
Tbh, I imagine running any major national or international charity is a significant job with extensive responsibilities, so I don't think a modest six-figure salary is that unreasonable.
They (the CEOs) are not running those organisations, they are just figureheads who sign off
any expenses claims.

« Reply #99 on: 05 July, 2023, 06:16:19 pm »
They (the CEOs) are not running those organisations, they are just figureheads who sign off
any expenses claims.
You are thinking of board Chairpersons.

The CEO actually runs the company.
<i>Marmite slave</i>