Author Topic: In Da Club!  (Read 3031 times)

clarion

• Tyke
In Da Club!
« on: 13 June, 2009, 05:25:57 pm »
Sooo, we went on a ride last week up the Wandle with the Sutton Cycling Club, and decided to give it a go.

Sutton CC are actually a club for kids.  They meet every saturday morning at a school playing fields in Cheam, where they teach kids cycling skills by playing games etc. 

Took the lad along this morning: He was stoking the tandem, while Butterfly rode his bike (they are about the same size).  Then, when we got there, he swapped onto his bike. 

They were doing an on-road day today, which is just as well, as the lad's Cyclone has some v.slick tyres on, and he would have struggled with too much muddy stuff.

Off through the woods to start, though, and we were soon trundling round the quiet (and often private) roads of Cheam.  After a stop for a snack, we did a bit more, then onto a busier road to see how it went.  The group of kids managed to ride very sensibly, with only one off when they were singling out after a junction.  Generally, though, they were well disciplined, and doubled up when requested, and singling when through the junction.  With them wearing their club jerseys, they looked good on the road, and managed to get some passers by interested in the club.

Seven miles in total with the group, and 15.5miles in total.  A good morning.  :thumbsup:

Good points:

For new starters, they do a thorough bike check (the lad's passed, but I had just been fettling it, and Butterfly had knocked off the spiders' webs ;D )
Every week, the kids have to do a bike safety check that's drilled into them
The leader gave a sound pre-ride talk about safety
He also used the snack break to get the kids to think about essential things to bring on a ride (inner tube, drink, snack, maybe tools etc)

Bad points:

Er...can't think of owt.
Getting there...

Re: In Da Club!
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2009, 05:30:17 pm »
Bad Points:
Not enough GURLS. Only 2 :(.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2009, 05:47:29 pm »
Oh yeah.  If anyone knows any Gurls 5-18 in Sutton or environs, send them along :)
Getting there...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2009, 05:48:31 pm »
Bad Points:
Not enough GURLS. Only 2 :(.
ewwww gurls ewwww they do gurly things ewwww
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ChrisO

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2009, 04:51:38 am »
Oooh, we go to Sutton CC - they were probably there yesterday.

Been doing it for three or four years now.

Gabriel, our middle one, is the most regular rider but Lillian our six year old comes along as well - she doesn't like the rainy cold days but Gabriel will go in anything.

Our oldest, Dominic, goes as well but he's often too tired on Saturdays from swimming training so we don't push him.

There are more girls. Certainly a majority of boys but I can think of maybe 8 to 10 girls who come along fairly regularly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2009, 11:53:04 am »
He also used the snack break to get the kids to think about essential things to bring on a ride (inner tube, drink, snack, maybe tools etc)

Hip flask?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »

Hip flask?

Condoms (if they get more gurls)

« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2009, 10:29:08 pm »
Oooh, we go to Sutton CC - they were probably there yesterday.

Been doing it for three or four years now.

Gabriel, our middle one, is the most regular rider but Lillian our six year old comes along as well - she doesn't like the rainy cold days but Gabriel will go in anything.

Our oldest, Dominic, goes as well but he's often too tired on Saturdays from swimming training so we don't push him.

There are more girls. Certainly a majority of boys but I can think of maybe 8 to 10 girls who come along fairly regularly.

Ooh, Lillian was there I think - on an Islabike? I think I heard a Gabriel too :D. It was such a good morning :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ChrisO

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2009, 06:26:39 am »
Yes that was Lillian (50% of the girls), on a purple Islabike. She's 6.

And Gabriel is 9 - very skinny kid on a red and white Kona. You wouldn't think Lycra could look baggy until you've seen Gabriel.

It's a very good club and they do learn lots of skills. Most weeks start with a skills session for about an hour.

The other girl on the ride (I asked my wife last night) was Amber. She only started at the club probably a year ago and literally could not ride a bike.

Even Gabriel was a late learner, on stabilisers till he nearly six and we'd just about given up. Now he can balance while crouching on one pedal and go through the limbo bar as well as anyone.

Gavin and Julian put in a lot of effort, plus the others on the club management like Catherine and Peter.

When we started going they were doing well to get six kids on a ride, from ages 7 to 12. Now they get 20 or 30 most weeks and have split into multiple age/skill groups.

I'm also impressed by how it fits into the whole British Cycling programme, from the skills to regular testing sessions to identify talent. It's all a great big pyramid which at the basic level encourages cycling but is also aimed at developing talent. Not surprising they are getting good results at the top level and they'll keep going for quite a while yet.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2009, 09:16:26 am »
Considering that Julian had taken a load of the kids off to Bedgebury for a MTB day, the turnout was good.  And I was impressed with how little the kids messed about.  They obviously enjoyed their riding and concentrated carefully.

After we split from the group (taking the tandem on the road was easier than off road through the woods), the kids were let off the leash a bit, and Amber came back first after the two big lads who had been helping lead.  I thought it was a good idea to give them a bit of free rein after they'd been keeping the speed down for the younger ones.

We rode with Catherine at the back of the group, so we could see what was going on while we were on the road.  I'm sufficiently impressed.

Lillian was probably the youngest there on saturday, but it didn't show.  She was confident on her bike. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2009, 08:36:46 pm »
Yay! Sounds fun.

There was rather at one point a lack of girls in the 'big group' which was anyone over 12 but now girls to boys we're almost 50:50. I now have competition ...  ;D