Author Topic: Clip In...  (Read 3011 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Clip In...
« on: 10 July, 2009, 02:10:04 pm »
Well, it was bound to happen eventually.

Superstoker likes his half-clips.  And he's really good with them.

But it means we change pedals every time we change stoker.

But Butterfly had the brilliant idea of buying a pair of trainer-like SPD shoes last time Aldi (or was it Lidl?) were doing them.  And yesterday we fitted a cleat.

This morning, we put some SPDs on the green tandem, checked the settings were loose, and he practised clipping in and out.  Took a while, but he got there.  And then went for a spin.  It was really good, and, by the time we were heading back from lunch (funny how many rides with him include lunch ;D ), he was clipping in no bother. :thumbsup:

Another important step forward.  One day soon, I hope to be fitting SPDs to his solo bikes  :) :) :)
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
Re: Clip In...
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2009, 02:12:06 pm »
Well done Superstoker!  :D

« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2009, 02:11:38 pm »
Hurrah :D!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2009, 02:23:06 pm »
He's a natural. Won't be long now Clarion before you are gasping to keep up with him.  ;)

GillP

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2009, 02:40:59 pm »
 :thumbsup:

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2009, 08:08:19 pm »
 :thumbsup: Given that I only converted to SPDs a month or two ago.....  :)

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:29:54 am »
He's a natural. Won't be long now Clarion before you are gasping to keep up with him.  ;)

As my friend said to me you spend years egging them on to keep up then their is approximately one month of parity and then they are faster than you and the roles are reversed :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2009, 09:50:58 pm »

As my friend said to me you spend years egging them on to keep up then their is approximately one month of parity and then they are faster than you and the roles are reversed :)

And then they volunteer you to ride a FNRttC to Brighton, walk back down ditchling and take the walking frame bike away and ride it up the hill for you.   :demon:

I can be cruel to my father :demon:

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2009, 07:06:22 pm »
PotD!  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2009, 08:48:52 pm »
Well, we did 176 miles together on the Super Galaxy with him riding SPDs.  Only one small problem when his right foot slipped out, but we tightened the pedal clip a quarter turn and we were fine.

But it gets better....

Oh yes.  After the drastic fork surgery, Super(stoker) is going solo with his Trek, riding well with Butterfly.  On SPD/flatsided pedals, but clipped in all the way.  Top fella! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:05:00 am »
Swapped his trek's pedals for straight clipless.  He was complaining about the flat side of the pedals, and that the clips were a bit loose on the other side.  Well, they are a bit worn, I suppose... :-\

So now his bike looks completely the part.  And I've put my Carradice saddlepack on it so he can carry his own tools/snack/spare jersey.  That should slow him down on the hills a bit ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 15 September, 2009, 02:42:06 pm »
Swapped his trek's pedals for straight clipless.  He was complaining about the flat side of the pedals, and that the clips were a bit loose on the other side.  Well, they are a bit worn, I suppose... :-\

So now his bike looks completely the part.  And I've put my Carradice saddlepack on it so he can carry his own tools/snack/spare jersey.  That should slow him down on the hills a bit ;D

Resorting to that trick already !!

Adding weight to the sons bike can only go so far. When you get to the pub stop and he suggests taking your luggage is when you know that you've lost. Especially when you both know the first climb after lunch will be Combe Bottom!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 15 September, 2009, 02:50:30 pm »
I am even now collecting lead shot for his seat tube ;D
Getting there...