Author Topic: School shoes...  (Read 8538 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: School shoes...
« Reply #25 on: 28 October, 2011, 06:55:45 pm »
This is one of my bugs about school uniform generally - that it's supposed to save money by reducing competitive dressing, and also not to show which kids are from rich or poor families - but in practice it adds the expense of extra clothes, which well-off families may not notice but poor ones will. When it extends to special school shoes as well, even more so. That said, I'm glad my son's school don't take any notice of shoes. He had Clarkes dinosaur shoes for the last six months or so, outgrown them and has some other Clarks now. I like Clarks for kids shoes not because they are necessarily better shoes, but they always measure, length and width - turns out his feet have been growing sideways! I just hope he learns to do laces before secondary school!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26 on: 28 October, 2011, 07:03:54 pm »
Many years ago driving through France in a MK2 Ford Fiesta popular plus with a dodgy mono radio, we listened to a monologue about raising children.   The one piece of advice I recall was her point about childrens shoes and the expense.  Her advice was not to buy kids shoes until the really needed them, like for their first job interview ....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 28 October, 2011, 10:21:49 pm »
Well, the reason British shoe sizes are so oddly numbered, going up to 12 (or is it 13?) and then starting again from 1, is that in the late middle ages when the scale was developed (based on the length of a barelycorn), children simply never wore shoes. As an aside, Mrs Cudzo used to take her shoes off on the last day of school (end of June) and not put them on again until school started again in September, every year until she was a teenager. Or so she says.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.