Author Topic: What Is BC doing right and CUK doing wrong?  (Read 10543 times)

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
What Is BC doing right and CUK doing wrong?
« on: 01 November, 2018, 01:34:16 pm »
WHAT IS BC DOING RIGHT AND CUK DO WRONG?
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/commuting/article/20181031-Home-Page-British-Cycling-launches-membership-for-cycle-commuters-0

British Cycling Membership Reach 145,000 50/50 Split Between Competitive And Leisure Riders
British Cycling will today launch its first membership package specifically geared towards cycle commuters; providing members with peace of mind liability insurance and legal cover, and a vital say in the organisation’s work to improve conditions for people on bikes in towns and cities across Britain.
As part of the launch, the first 100 people to purchase the new membership will also receive a free See.Sense ACE intelligent bike light, worth £44.99. The light includes patented sensor technology to monitor your riding experience, detecting real-time information on collisions or near-miss events, road surface quality, journey flow, speed and dwell times.

This insight can then be shared with the organisation to advocate for increased funding for cycling infrastructure, based on concrete human data. The full membership package also includes:

·       £15m third party liability insurance

·       Assistance from British Cycling’s legal support team

·       Retail discounts including 10% off at Evans Cycles, Halfords and Cycle Republic

The membership has been developed to cater for the rising number of cycle commuters and by working in partnership with See.Sense, British Cycling will establish a vital bank of insights and a collective commuters’ voice to encourage local and national government to improve conditions on our roads.

The launch comes as the organisation’s total membership now exceeds 145,000; growing from 16,500 in 2005. There is now a 50:50 split between competitive and leisure riders – highlighting the changing face of cycling in Britain and British Cycling’s credentials as the go-to organisation for all types of cyclist.

Commute Membership

Ahead of today’s launch, British Cycling Commercial Director Jonathan Rigby said:

“The growth in our membership over the past two decades has been astonishing, and we’re determined to accelerate this growth even further as we work towards our ambition of transforming Britain into a great cycling nation.

“We’re delighted to be able to work closely with See.Sense on this launch as the insights we will receive from their patented sensors will help us to paint a really clear picture of cycle activity in Britain, and work alongside our city and regional partners to pinpoint the areas which need to be improved the most.”

Latest figures from the Department for Transport show that 4% of all commuting trips were cycled, with research from the University of Cambridge, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and Imperial College London showing that this can cut your risk of dying from heart disease or stroke by 30%.

British Cycling Policy Manager, Nick Chamberlin, said:

“Many people are now beginning to wake up to the fact that commuting by bike is often the quickest, cheapest and most reliable transport option for their daily commute, and what’s more, in doing so they are also helping to combat air pollution and lead a healthier, more active life. We hope that this new membership will encourage and support many more commuters to make the switch and discover these benefits for themselves.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/commute/

COMMUTE MEMBERSHIP
For cycle commuters
Liability insurance* and legal support for your daily commute
10% off at Halfords stores and Evans Cycles*
A free service at Cycle Republic worth £30
A free See.Sense Ace rear light (first 100 members)
Add your voice to campaigns that support cycling
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What Is BC doing right and CUK doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2018, 02:15:50 pm »
I've lost count of the number of times I've been spammed about BC membership in the last couple of weeks...

« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:08:37 pm »
I think that BC’s estimate of the ratio of competitive/ leisure riders may be misleading.

My guess is that actual racing licence holders are a fairly small percentage of members - as can be seen by the decreasing number of races.

What BC has done ( for their ends) right is to successfully jump on the sportive bandwagon. Many sportive events are entered via the BC portal. This gives BC the ammunition to claim big numbers of engaged cyclists for funding and other purposes. It is probably the case that the sportive community see themselves as competitive cyclists, and favour the connection with the racing organisation.
Cycling UK has, it seems to me, dropped off the radar of all but the “ old school” riders. The rebranding of an established organisation has, to me, been as successful as the Consignia Post Office fiasco. I still hear talk of “ the CTC”, but the people I know have lost track of what has happened to it. Apologies if this view offends anyone, but I’m merely reporting what I see and hear in the cycling community I mix with.

Certainly, many members also join BC partly for insurance, but I doubt that they look in any detail at the small print.

By the way, the Halfords discount is now very different, and needs a printed voucher, minimum spend and only now applies to cycling goods , or so I’m told. What happens with Evans post- Ashley is anyone’s guess.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:21:22 pm »
I think that CUK do an enormous amount right, and BC do very little (they're even very EDIT: unhelpful to grass-roots racing).

But if you just want to look at recent growth figures: don't forget the enormous publicity budget that Sky paid for. CTC can't compete (directly) with that!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:25:10 pm »
I think that CUK do an enormous amount right, Please explain

and BC do very little (they're even very helpful to grass-roots racing).Please explain

But if you just want to look at recent growth figures: don't forget the enormous publicity budget that Sky paid for.

CTC can't compete (directly) with that!
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2018, 04:56:33 pm »
I'm not a national level road-racer (or cyclo-crosser). I commute, race TTs, and enjoy group rides (including a few with my local CTC groups, but mainly not).

CUK campaign on pretty much every issue that affects me - BC does very little.

(that's the TL-DR version)

I am actually racing under the BC umbrella on Sunday, and frequently marshall for their events - so I'm hardly rabidly anti-BC! But the CTC have done waaaaaaay more for me over my 40 years of cycling.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2018, 05:04:54 pm »
I am actually racing under the BC umbrella on Sunday, and frequently marshall for their events - so I'm hardly rabidly anti-BC! But the CTC have done waaaaaaay more for me over my 40 years of cycling.
IIRC you are Oxfordshire based?
Are you racing at Dalton Barracks on Sunday? I'll be there with my daughter  :thumbsup: , but I couldn't find someone (who we know well) to keep an eye on her while I race, so I won't be riding  :-X.
Cheers
Duncan
PS - on topic - I'm a BC "Ride" member because I wanted the 3rd party cover and my club is affiliated. I have almost no idea who CUK are or what they do. I know who CTT are, but they don't seem like an organisation that is in a good way if you spend any time on the TT forums.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2018, 05:10:23 pm »
Have PMed you Dunc - hopefully I can put you straight on the history/role of all those organisations in person.

:P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2018, 05:14:20 pm »
Every time I see something from "Cycling UK" I think of British Cycling, not "We Are Cycling" (previously CTC).

So they might be doing a huge amount, but every time I see the name I think of BC, not CUK.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2018, 06:04:00 pm »
Every time I see something from "Cycling UK" I think of British Cycling, not "We Are Cycling" (previously CTC).

So they might be doing a huge amount, but every time I see the name I think of BC, not CUK.
The rebranding and the charity conversion were a disaster  ::-)  But they're still doing the most useful stuff in the UK.

Chris Boardman is basically a one-man force who is best-of-the-rest. He's not a product of BC - he's just a lucky accident for them!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2018, 08:52:00 pm »
I was a member of CTC for several years mainly for the insurance

The CTC group I belonged to went to the pub on a Wednesday and were listed on the CTC website

In the last few years

- wasn't impressed by the CTC privatisation
 - wasn't impressed by their ideas for going forward which seemed muddled
 - they were anti democratic
 - my pub group quit the CTC
 - they repeatedly proved incapable of taking my money and providing insurance without loads of messing about

I initially switched to third party insurance via LCC but now I'm with BC

I have actually benefited from BC by buying bits from Chainreaction.  This never happened with CTC

What are BC doing right?  Simply being less shite than CUK

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:17:25 pm »
Cycling UK do loads of campaigning stuff, and I'd say in Government circles, as much as they bother to stoop to listening, are vaguely aware of them.  Not the case with BC.  They only have the membership numbers because of sportives, as stated above.  They're not going to be getting many active travel campaigners amongst them.

I'm only in BC for the insurance cover as a Bikeability Instructor, otherwise I'd be happy only having to pay the one membership fee to Cycling UK.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:19:17 pm »
I have actually benefited from BC by buying bits from Chainreaction.  This never happened with CTC
The Chain Reaction discount has now been reduced, so it is a lot less useful.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:20:27 pm »
The Chain Reaction discount has now been reduced, so it is a lot less useful.

And Chain Reaction have been hollowed out by the merger with Wiggle.  But it's still better than the crappy discounts that CTC used to offer

« Reply #14 on: 02 November, 2018, 11:33:35 am »

The rebranding and the charity conversion were a disaster  ::-)  But they're still doing the most useful stuff in the UK.

Not to mention that 'CUK' is a derogatory term in the youngling vernacular.
(see: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cuk)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 02 November, 2018, 12:39:21 pm »

I can't help thinking this is the idea, except they're aiming at government people with no real knowledge of cycling or associated organisations.  "Cycling UK" sounds nice and authoritative, while "CTC" "What's that?" "Cyclists' Touring Club" sounds a bit niche and dorky, like the Caravan Club or something.

Anyway, CTC membership is a requirement for a group I ride with, I've had my money's worth out of their insurance, and I'm generally in agreement with their campaigning efforts (which seem to be about as effective as it gets, nationally).  My interest in BC membership is about as strong as BC's interest in non-standard bicycles.

I accept that I'm a young person[1] with no historical baggage of CTC member groups.  I'm really not keen on the way the top-level organisation seems to have unilaterally decided to turn into Sustrans, but that hasn't become problematic for me personally as a member (yet); I joined them as a national organisation.

[1] In the cycling sense of under-50.  My knees have other ideas.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 02 November, 2018, 12:49:30 pm »
Cycling UK actually sounds a bit like a government body. Like Highways England for example. Whether this is deliberate don't know, but it would be remarkable if the people who put the change through were unaware of it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 02 November, 2018, 01:25:37 pm »
If BC are convincing people that £37 for a bit of insurance, a free light for the lucky few and 10% off Halfords is a good deal then their marketing dept has certainly done a good job.  It's no surprise that this new membership is in association with a commercial company, they don't seen too fussy where their income comes from.  I don't know how much the insurance costs, it can't be a lot, I keep getting it bundled in with other stuff (Union membership, home insurance) without them making much noise about it.

« Reply #18 on: 02 November, 2018, 02:19:06 pm »
I've documented my sulking with CTC here before over the charity thing, but after BC's handling of the Shane Sutton sexist and disablist fiasco I found someone new to sulk with, I reckon I must have gone on a blacklist since when they phoned to ask why I hadn't renewed they got chapter and verse and I've had not a single spam email from them since.

I do wonder if I'll continue with CUK since I've ended up with insurance elsewhere by accident, I've no doubt they do a lot of good but just wish they came across more cohesively without all the petty bickering :-\

« Reply #19 on: 02 November, 2018, 10:04:56 pm »
The baffling thing with BC insurance is if you collide with another BC member during a Sportive, neither of you are insured! CUK/CTC membership does cover you regardless of who you hit.

Seems a bit odd that BC will not cover you for the most likely incident.

« Reply #20 on: 03 November, 2018, 06:48:22 am »
The baffling thing with BC insurance is if you collide with another BC member during a Sportive, neither of you are insured! CUK/CTC membership does cover you regardless of who you hit.

I doesn’t seem odd to me. It follows the principle ( reinforced by a case in a Scottish court) that by joining in a potentially hazardous sporting- type activity you accept the inherent risks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 03 November, 2018, 08:17:57 am »

I doesn’t seem odd to me. It follows the principle ( reinforced by a case in a Scottish court) that by joining in a potentially hazardous sporting- type activity you accept the inherent risks.

Yup, seems fairly standard. Another reason for avoiding "hazardous" rides??

CTC does cover all 3rd party claims. A member claimed for farsunds off me after she rear-ended me on a club-run!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #22 on: 03 November, 2018, 08:56:35 am »
Just been looking at the insurance to see what's included and the policy that comes with the new Commute Membership only covers utility cycling and commuting with specific exclusions for
" participating in cycling events or any kind of formal group cycling activity, such as club rides." that's pretty poor.

« Reply #23 on: 03 November, 2018, 09:21:48 am »
Just been looking at the insurance to see what's included and the policy that comes with the new Commute Membership only covers utility cycling and commuting with specific exclusions for
" participating in cycling events or any kind of formal group cycling activity, such as club rides." that's pretty poor.
That's the distinction between "Commute" membership and "Ride" membership though. For £2 extra a year, the Ride membership gets you the sportive/club bits, but loses the free service...
I don't understand the benefit of Race Bronze - you get a provisional race licence (and no opportunity to buy a full one) and a bunch of discounts (and no insurance at all!).

« Reply #24 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:24:31 am »

But CTC cover you in those circs, so why not BC? BC do cover you if you collide with a non member, so it’s not about the inherent risks.