Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 64550 times)

Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #50 on: 21 March, 2020, 03:29:00 pm »
Let's hope WFH is seen as viable thus reducing travel, congestion and pollution longer term.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #51 on: 21 March, 2020, 03:35:02 pm »
All this WFH means I can order loads of bulky shit off the Internet, and I'll be in for delivery.

Saving a fortune on the rapacious shop prices at work, too.

Yebbut will they deliver?  Deliverypersons here are beginning to get stroppy about Covid-19 exposure.  Also, stuff I ordered with delivery due on Thursday has yet to appear.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #52 on: 21 March, 2020, 05:44:58 pm »
With any luck this summers 2 week tennis fest will be cancelled. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against tennis as such, if people want to get together in private and play tennis I'm cool with that. I'm just not interested myself and don't see why it should be the lead item in every news bulletin. Even football doesn't get that kind of concentrated coverage.

Let's hope the Olympics get the chop as well.

I know someone who was first reserve on the US pursuit team for Montreal, then was selected for the Moscow games.  This is why he has been a Яepublican for the past forty years.  Be careful what you wish for ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #53 on: 21 March, 2020, 08:46:19 pm »
With any luck this summers 2 week tennis fest will be cancelled. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against tennis as such, if people want to get together in private and play tennis I'm cool with that. I'm just not interested myself and don't see why it should be the lead item in every news bulletin. Even football doesn't get that kind of concentrated coverage.

Bollocks.  They’re STILL writing about football and footballers with none being played  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #54 on: 21 March, 2020, 09:43:59 pm »
The major upside for me is that work sent us all to work from home a week Thursday gone. I'm going to be here for the foreseeable. Saves me somewhere in the region of £800 a month (travel, digs, food) with the bonus that I get to spend more time with the family.

Oh and the mysogenist git that I used to report to has handed his notice in. Bonus!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #55 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:14:47 pm »

Bollocks.  They’re STILL writing about football and footballers with none being played  >:(

You can easily ignore writing as almost all of it is confined to the back pages, but with shit like the Olympics/Wimbledon etc, they're regarded as main news by TV and radio.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #56 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:15:09 pm »
Let's hope WFH is seen as viable thus reducing travel, congestion and pollution longer term.

And is reasonable as an adjustment for those people who have been asking for WFH for years and years and told it was impossible!

« Reply #57 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:17:19 pm »

Let's hope the Olympics get the chop as well.

I know someone who was first reserve on the US pursuit team for Montreal, then was selected for the Moscow games.  This is why he has been a Яepublican for the past forty years.  Be careful what you wish for ;)

Who gives a...really? Hadn't they heard of the World's?

;D

Davef

« Reply #58 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:19:47 pm »
The Most Popular Sports in the World
Association Football (Soccer) - 4 Billion Fans. Association football,
Cricket - 2.5 Billion Fans. ...
Field Hockey - 2 Billion Fans. ...
Tennis - 1 Billion Fans. ...
Volleyball - 900 Million Fans. ...
Table Tennis - 875 Million Fans. ...
Basketball - 825 Million Fans. ...
Baseball - 500 Million Fans. ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #59 on: 22 March, 2020, 01:03:13 am »
My colonoscopy appointment has been cancelled  :thumbsup:

They're sending out a new one in a few weeks :'(

(probably more fitting in the "Good news/Bad news " thread)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #60 on: 22 March, 2020, 06:06:18 am »

And is reasonable as an adjustment for those people who have been asking for WFH for years and years and told it was impossible!

My thoughts / hopes exactly. Should be assisted by the last part of my previous post (he was the one blocking my working from home quote"you can apply for agile working but it would be a waste of your time ")
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #61 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:31:34 am »
I'm really getting jobs done in the house and garden.

Social distancing is great if you're vaguely misanthropic  :thumbsup:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #62 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:34:29 am »

What is WFH?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #63 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:38:20 am »
Work From Home
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #64 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:00:39 am »

I'd prefer LNW (live near work) as some work/jobs cannot be done at home.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #65 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:28:40 am »

I'd prefer LNW (live near work) as some work/jobs cannot be done at home.

True
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #66 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:42:49 am »
All this WFH means I can order loads of bulky shit off the Internet, and I'll be in for delivery.

Saving a fortune on the rapacious shop prices at work, too.
Hah.  A couple of weeks ago, before all this got really serious, I bought a thing off phil w. Being clever, I thought I'd get it delivered to work, as it's not going to fit through my letter box. Then I get told I'm WFH. Some days pass. Parcel gets delivered to work, where I am not.
My teenaged boss says no bother he'll bring it home and leave it in his garage.  Yesterday I took a nice ride over to his place to find the box wasn't there. Arse.
Phone calls ensue later in the day. He's put it in his Monster Truck but hadn't taken it out. More messaging today. It's still in his Monster Truck and not made it into the garage.
Never mind, I had a nice pootle.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #67 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:46:27 am »
Working from home is massively under utilised in the UK simpky because management don't trust people to actually do the work.  Office culture is one of slacking, surfing, chatting, pointless meetings and generally not getting things done.  I suspect that productivity will not nosedive during this WFH phase yet back to the office, congestion and pollution we will inevitably go.

I agree that many jobs cannot be done from home but also that many can and now we have the opportunity to embrace this.

I am sure that some reading this will think that I am accusing all office workers of swinging the lead but this is not what I am saying.

« Reply #68 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:56:24 am »
Fewer people commuting can only be a good thing, less crowded public transport for a start.

But it seems quieter roads mean people are driving in a even more shit manner than usual.

Good for getting a seat on the train/bus but worse for cycling.

« Reply #69 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:57:31 am »
Just managed to find actual toilet paper in Tesco (rationed to 1 pack per person, quite sensibly). Hopefully the people with hundreds of rolls stockpiled are now starting to leave some for the rest of us. :thumbsup:

« Reply #70 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:10:35 am »
I would think that the stress applied to the social welfare system and in particular by the increase of the number of people who become reliant upon Universal Credit, just might result in an improved system.

Not only will the numbers increase, but the profile of the people having to use it I suspect are more adept at raising concerns in the media (I'm thinking of the entertainment industry).
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #71 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:34:57 am »
Working from home is massively under utilised in the UK simpky because management don't trust people to actually do the work.

There's certainly an element of that at the company I currently work for. The MD is known for her micro-managing style - she has even been known to wait by the front door, taking a register, as a means of discouraging lateness.

However, much of the reluctance to allow working from home has been because we currently don't have the infrastructure to make it work easily. From what I understand, our servers are working on fairly old tech and remote connections are slow at the best of times - even when it's only a small number of people trying to access them. There's also a sense of paranoia about the nature of the work we do, which requires watertight practices to ensure confidentiality (hence even within the office there are very tight restrictions on who can access which servers).

Once it became apparent that it was likely to be a necessity for everyone to work from home, they started putting measures in place to ensure business could carry on as usual. Then it became apparent that it was going to come in sooner rather than later, so they accelerated the implementation, but with limited IT resources could hardly keep up with demand. Then last Monday the lockdown was imposed, and it has been clear this week that despite these efforts, we were not fully prepared as a company, with numerous glitches still to be ironed out.

After speaking to our main client this week, I do feel we're somewhat better prepared than them, though.

As a result of all this, I feel somewhat better disposed towards our company's stance on WFH as a general principle. The CEO said on our last day in the office that she didn't intend WFH to become the norm after this is all over, but she has already had her mind changed on a number of things, and she may have to face the reality of it becoming a necessity in future.

However, while the tech already exists to make WFH a practical possibility, many companies are in the same boat as mine, being reliant on out-of-date infrastructure, and transitioning may not be as straightforward as some imagine (see the ongoing AUK upgrade debacle for an example of some of the problems many organisations face).

Another reason for the reluctance to make WFH the norm is that the nature of the business we do relies on face-to-face communication. Even with all the tech in the world, collaborative working is still most efficient when everyone is in the same room. I know this from having spent four years working from home in my previous job. So again, I'm more or less on the bosses' side on this one.

So people being slackers who will bunk off at any opportunity is only a small part of the problem - that happens in any working environment, and being able to identify weak links and deal with them appropriately is down to good hands-on management.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #72 on: 22 March, 2020, 01:56:56 pm »
After three years of feeling guilty for imposing 3 years of after school club on my 8yo son, I get to spend lots of time with him before he grows up.
My two teenagers are positively social (compared to normal). Poor sods, but nice for us.

« Reply #73 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:18:43 pm »
I reckon all the gardens along my road, well as far as I can see will be immaculate or very productive

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #74 on: 22 March, 2020, 04:05:21 pm »
I went on a mission to get SO more Lucozade and orange juice.  I thought I'd go to Tesco in Ciren since it's usually a better bet than any of the Swindon shops.  The A419 was like a road from a car advert - almost completely empty!  I put the car into cruise control and it just stayed there from joining the road until the exit.

And Tesco had the stuff too.  There was even gin and tonic-flavoured liquid handwash, if I'd been desperate.  But I'm not that desperate and I have bars of soap.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.