Author Topic: DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit  (Read 37983 times)

Re: DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit
« Reply #125 on: 08 August, 2022, 08:59:57 pm »
Ah OK. Gears card is not showing even when activated. I wonder why.

« Reply #126 on: 08 August, 2022, 09:47:11 pm »
Perhaps "Cards will be hidden automatically when no data has been recorded"?

« Reply #127 on: 08 August, 2022, 10:47:32 pm »
I no longer have a Karoo. Mine was just too flaky for real use by me. I fully accept that other people find them stable and usable.
I have just got a Garmin 1040 (birthday) and with a fenix 6 I am solidly in the Garmin camp. None of them are as intuitive as my iPhone but then none of them had Jonny Ives designing them and the resources of Apple or the price of an iPhone.

« Reply #128 on: 09 August, 2022, 08:20:03 am »

I guess that must be the case, no data recorded. I did have a problem with the Wahoo during the only ride I have done with the Di2 linked up, so will try again. However, another thing is that the Elemnt does not offer any set-up options for the Di2 as a sensor. Most guides I can see mention that you should be able to set cassette and chainring size (although I would have thought it would pull that from the Di2 system itself).

I no longer have a Karoo. Mine was just too flaky for real use by me.

Yes, looking at the relevant Reddit it's just not there yet. I also see recent reports of charging ports melting etc.

I'm reluctant to give up on Wahoo for my next device, but if I stick with them it looks as if the Bolt v2 is the best bet. However, the screen is small albeit with much better definition than the Roam.

I can get a significant discount on the Garmin 1040 and some others (not the Explore 2 though) so I am tempted.

« Reply #129 on: 09 August, 2022, 08:56:49 am »

I guess that must be the case, no data recorded. I did have a problem with the Wahoo during the only ride I have done with the Di2 linked up, so will try again. However, another thing is that the Elemnt does not offer any set-up options for the Di2 as a sensor. Most guides I can see mention that you should be able to set cassette and chainring size (although I would have thought it would pull that from the Di2 system itself).

We're going way off topic here, but Di2 didn't broadcast wirelessly as standard (unlike eTap) - you may need to add a Bluetooth/wifi module - see Shane Millers excellent video https://youtu.be/dDz8TJGDq3U. All Wahoo units run the same software/app.

« Reply #130 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:04:23 am »
I have EW-WU111 so can use the E-Tube app etc. The buttons on the shifters connect to the Wahoo, the gears display etc, it's just that the gear data doesn't seem to get recorded.

But yes, way off topic, will take this to a new thread if needed.

Edited to add: had another look at this. Didn’t change a thing other than to set up a Di2 page on the Elemnt. When I returned to sensor set-up, the option to view / edit chainring size and cassette tooth had appeared - previously it wasn’t there. I have a feeling next time I’ll see some data on the card after the ride - hopefully.

Still no Di2 battery though - there is no field available to select that. Maybe it's only an alert when battery level reaches a certain point?

Edited to add: as I have discovered, it is only an alert on the Elemnt, there is no Di2 battery field to add. You can see the battery level, but not add it as a data field on a page.