Author Topic: K-Edge Garmin 1030 mount with underside Charging  (Read 13471 times)

Re: K-Edge Garmin 1030 mount with underside Charging
« Reply #25 on: 14 July, 2022, 01:35:12 pm »
Only any use for e-bikes though.

« Reply #26 on: 14 July, 2022, 02:11:17 pm »
Only any use for e-bikes though.
Or a dynamo, or a USB battery pack.

« Reply #27 on: 14 July, 2022, 02:19:24 pm »
Yep, there's options for Bosch or Shimano ebikes or USB A for dynamo or battery pack.   

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #28 on: 14 July, 2022, 05:18:09 pm »
USB-A isn't available - yet.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #29 on: 15 April, 2023, 02:46:09 pm »
3d print a twist mount for a normal power bank and you could make something like this

I submitted this design to a company to manufacture but they wanted a hefty up front investment - I think there are questions about whether it ups be 100% watertight just using usb cables but in theory it’s compatible with loads of models

« Reply #30 on: 15 April, 2023, 04:03:09 pm »
USB-A isn't available - yet.

It’s now available, I have got the power mount with my Edge Explore 2.  I have it hooked up to a 20,000 mAh powerpack.

« Reply #31 on: 16 April, 2023, 08:47:55 am »
I take it that it will work with any of the Garmins that have the charging pins on the base?
Also, how long is the USB cable? Do you have to mount the battery on the bars or is it long enough to reach a bag?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #32 on: 16 April, 2023, 10:04:40 am »
Yes to any Garmin with the pins.  They are a bit stingy with the cable (mines on a recumbent). But it reaches from handlebars to boom where I have a bag with battery in. It isn’t long enough to route to a saddle bag.

Bike is currently sitting on patio after ride this morning. I’ll measure the length before I put away, if I remember.

« Reply #33 on: 16 April, 2023, 10:29:56 am »
Spec on the Garmin website says the cable is 18cm long.

« Reply #34 on: 16 April, 2023, 09:23:49 pm »
Thanks for the info. I could plug it into the dynamo powered USB a on my bike giving me unlimited range. But it is expensive for what it is.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #35 on: 17 April, 2023, 08:51:33 am »
£109 for a cable is really really gouging.

« Reply #36 on: 17 April, 2023, 11:41:12 am »
That’s for the mount, the cable can be had for £30.  But yeah more expensive than it needs to be.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #37 on: 18 April, 2023, 11:20:39 am »
Speaking of, would someone be able to check how the pins on the mount relate to the USB pinout?

I know the top-left pin (on the mount) is +5V (USB pin 1) and bottom-right is ground (USB pin 4). What I'd like to know which of the other two pogo pins is Data+ and which is Data-

My current DIY solution only uses two pins, but it barely keeps the unit charged. So I wonder if I need the other pins as well so the GPS can signal that it wants more than 0.5A

« Reply #38 on: 29 June, 2023, 09:44:53 pm »
What about the polarity and supply voltage to the other two pins when locking the Garmin in the socket (rotation)? Can power be maintained on the pins while the Garmin is rotated?

« Reply #39 on: 29 June, 2023, 10:06:39 pm »
GPS is not rotated. There’s a lever you pull to the closed position, to lock the gps to the mount.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #40 on: 05 August, 2023, 08:08:18 pm »
Speaking of, would someone be able to check how the pins on the mount relate to the USB pinout?

I know the top-left pin (on the mount) is +5V (USB pin 1) and bottom-right is ground (USB pin 4). What I'd like to know which of the other two pogo pins is Data+ and which is Data-

My current DIY solution only uses two pins, but it barely keeps the unit charged. So I wonder if I need the other pins as well so the GPS can signal that it wants more than 0.5A

I have bit the bullet after yet another USB socket failure and got the Edge Explore 2 power power mount option.
I got the Shimano Steps cable which has four bare wires, it recommends that they are wired in two pairs, and I get the feeling this is because they cant stop you mounting the Garmin 180 degs out. This would Imply that 4 of the 5 pins on the mount are for +/- power which leaves the centre one for data +ve maybe

Interesting the power mount contains an LED which glows green when you connect a power source, and flashes green when the Garmin is connected and drawing power. so obviously some other circuitry embedded in there. Interestingly I tried to measure the voltages on the bare pins when connected and drew a blank so does it have some clever "mounted" detection.

The new Explore 2 has a fantastic battery life and I never need to plug into the USB again even to load routes, I'm a very happy boy.  :thumbsup: