Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625661 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4225 on: 18 December, 2013, 02:29:41 pm »
Own grumble: Happily grating spuds for lunchtime rösti: wife looks over and says "you can do that in 5 seconds with the food processor". "OK", say I. Wife exhumes FP from drawer and starts fishing out bits. Then the fun starts. It's a Bosch/Boche/Botch with multiple fittings, it's practically new and in a fit of Teutonic intelligence B/B/B didn't put in an instruction book: they put a bunch of videos on the Internet.  So we have the choice of arsing off to the computer or sussing it out.  Latter path chosen. One 3D jigsaw and 15 minutes later the first spud goes in, 16 minutes later they're all done. We dismantle the machine and wife sets about washing the bits. Another 5 minutes lost on her part. By hand I'd maybe have taken another 5 minutes.

Guess why machine is still as new after almost a year?

They've got their own thread...

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=77979.msg1597416#msg1597416

« Reply #4226 on: 18 December, 2013, 03:52:01 pm »

Because you don't leave it out on the worksurface.

« Reply #4227 on: 18 December, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »
Or have a baby.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4228 on: 18 December, 2013, 04:18:09 pm »
I feel like shit again, failed to have brain for most of work yesterday, slept from when I got in till 11pm then failed to sleep till 6am...  Fucking vestibular system is very unhappy, post-lurgy balance fail so I've got permanently poundy heartrate and feel like I'm going to pass out every time I walk up the stairs which is grim. 

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4229 on: 18 December, 2013, 04:36:59 pm »
I'd also like to put forward my membership to the "Feels like Death On Toast Club" ... what started out as a mildly annoying sore throat seems to be developing into something not unlike acute bronchitis.

Needless to say, this is not a development I'm keen on ...

Sod's Law dictates that this occurs when I've got a lot on: yesterday I had heating engineers fitting a new boiler so had to go in to work (on the plus side, I was 'banished' to the spare office, so got far more done than usual  :thumbsup:) and today, being a proper Day Off, had various electricians and surveyors calling to do electrician and surveyor-type things.

Of course, with lurgy comes complete and utter bloody chaos in the blood sugar department  >:(

« Reply #4230 on: 18 December, 2013, 04:39:26 pm »
Sending you both sympathy & virtual mugs of the warming, relaxing beverage of your choice.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4231 on: 18 December, 2013, 04:41:23 pm »
Or have a baby.

You put them through the food processor????
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4232 on: 18 December, 2013, 09:40:02 pm »
^^^Symbionese Liberation Army???  :o
"Stupid Lame Assistant" so I'm told...
(turns out there is one particular of these who has a reputation for this stuff)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4233 on: 18 December, 2013, 10:26:33 pm »
Own grumble: Happily grating spuds for lunchtime rösti: wife looks over and says "you can do that in 5 seconds with the food processor". "OK", say I. Wife exhumes FP from drawer and starts fishing out bits. Then the fun starts. It's a Bosch/Boche/Botch with multiple fittings, it's practically new and in a fit of Teutonic intelligence B/B/B didn't put in an instruction book: they put a bunch of videos on the Internet.  So we have the choice of arsing off to the computer or sussing it out.  Latter path chosen. One 3D jigsaw and 15 minutes later the first spud goes in, 16 minutes later they're all done. We dismantle the machine and wife sets about washing the bits. Another 5 minutes lost on her part. By hand I'd maybe have taken another 5 minutes.

A labour-creating device, obviously...

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #4234 on: 18 December, 2013, 10:38:06 pm »
W*terst*nes.

"This book will arrive in (small number of) days".   So, I ordered a variety - for Christmas, obviously

"Your books are at the depot waiting to be collected".

"Your book is out of stock so we've ordered it from the supplier".    Lying toads.

A***** are crap employers and tax avoiders (allegedly), but they are fast and reliable. Problem solved.  Karma status : negative.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4235 on: 19 December, 2013, 11:08:05 am »
BUGGER!

Killed the fileserver with an update :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4236 on: 19 December, 2013, 04:00:14 pm »
Bugger! Bloody tooth. Big chunk fell off, followed soon afterwards by filling.

Dentist tomorrow. Let's see what he can do with it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #4237 on: 19 December, 2013, 07:23:16 pm »
BUGGER!

Killed the fileserver with an update :(

Ouch!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4238 on: 19 December, 2013, 09:43:55 pm »
Little Miss AWL's school: I emailed you this morning (they don't like phone calls) to ask you politely to have my daughter come to reception at 3.15pm so I could whisk her off to the dentist. I turn up at said time to find you oblivious to my request (I checked later and it was in my sent items). Furthermore, you didn't exactly admit you'd had the email, nor did you do anything quickly about it. In fact I had to chivvy you along to get her.

Instead of a leisurely walk into town from home, we had to drive up. Luckily a parking spot near the dentist presented itself.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4239 on: 20 December, 2013, 01:20:46 pm »

Sympathy.  Hope Dentist can fix.

<1stWorldGrumble>
Same boat about 10 days ago.  Dentist suggests RCT & crown.  Turn up some days later for RCT.  Tooth too far gone.  Extraction Sat. last.  Still bloody sore.  Annual festival of eating fast upon us and it hurts to eat.
</1stWorldGrumble>
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4240 on: 20 December, 2013, 09:27:34 pm »
Sainsburys home delivery: I know you told me the hot dog rolls were close to the use by date and I should've looked closer, but really! Delivering bread with a use by date of 19/12 at 9pm on 19/12 is taking the piss.

It would be a rant, but for my own culpability. I shall have words.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4241 on: 20 December, 2013, 09:34:30 pm »

<1stWorldGrumble>
Same boat about 10 days ago.  Dentist suggests RCT & crown.  Turn up some days later for RCT.  Tooth too far gone.  Extraction Sat. last.  Still bloody sore.  Annual festival of eating fast upon us and it hurts to eat.
</1stWorldGrumble>
I had a gert big chunk fall off a molar a few weeks ago. It was already filled to capacity with filling stuff(TM), so I wasn't optimistic. However, my over-familiar dentist (Is there a dental charm school? If so, he was head boy) wouldn't hear of crowning it or extracting it, but tried some new fangled filling method saying there was a 95% success rate. Sounded like good odds to me, and it's all hunky dory now.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4242 on: 21 December, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »
I spent the morning singing at Tesco raising money for charity. This is the present one of their moronic incompetent customers decided to leave me when I got back to the car.

Of course they'd run away and there was no note - responsibility for mistakes, whats that?

>:(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4243 on: 21 December, 2013, 01:48:20 pm »
I spent the morning singing at Tesco raising money for charity. This is the present one of their moronic incompetent customers decided to leave me when I got back to the car.

Of course they'd'ed run away and there was no note - responsibility for mistakes, whats that?

Might be worth seeing if the incident was caught on CCTV.

Worked for my sister when some inconsiderate twat reversed into her car in an Asda car park ...

Ruth

« Reply #4244 on: 21 December, 2013, 01:51:21 pm »
Gits  >:( >:( >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4245 on: 21 December, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »
I was extremely glad to be en velo when I arrived at Tesco yesterday afternoon.  The car park was full, and there seemed to be an awful lot of that sort of thing going on.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4246 on: 21 December, 2013, 01:59:54 pm »

[snip]

Of course they'd run away and there was no note - responsibility for mistakes, what's that?

Might be worth seeing if the incident was caught on CCTV.

Worked for my sister when some inconsiderate twat reversed into her car in an Asda car park ...

It might be worth doing, but I couldn't see any CCTV covering that bit of the car park. To be honest that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm still not recovered from the bug I seem to have had for the last three weeks, and have been very busy both at work and outside of it and I've had enough. Today I was going to finish my Christmas shopping, source a tree and decorate the house, but I've just driven straight home and just want to hide at the moment.

« Reply #4247 on: 21 December, 2013, 02:35:55 pm »
Its a low, lousy, miserable and contemptible thing to do. I feel your pain.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4248 on: 22 December, 2013, 08:00:34 pm »
No CCTV at the Tesco :(

I've cleaned the car to try and get a layer of wax over the scratches, and they do look a bit better now the car is clean. Another annoyance is that I intend to change the car in the next few months, and that's probably knocked a decent chunk of the value it had left off of the car.

« Reply #4249 on: 22 December, 2013, 09:12:30 pm »

<1stWorldGrumble>
</1stWorldGrumble>
I was worried that it'd need a crown, but on Friday afternoon I got a tooth rebuilt with white filling stuff, for a lot less money. He said he might as well do a permanent job straight away as a temporary fix, if I had the time, & the materials are now so good that teeth he'd have automatically put a crown on not many years ago can now safely & solidly be rebuilt.

Looks good. Feels good.  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897