Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625976 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14050 on: 11 December, 2021, 10:34:38 am »
How long can a bloody helichopter keep circling the parish before it runs out of petril?  Bugger off, PC Biggles >:(

Not terribly long:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-50220838

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14051 on: 11 December, 2021, 07:18:13 pm »
Went to the "on view" for a furniture auction yestreday and left some  "on the book" bids with the auctioneer . . .  watching the sale live online this afternoon one of my lots was knocked down to me (with the hammer falling at just less than my max bid :thumbsup:) - the auctioneer then said there an online bid from one of the bidding platforms before the hammer touched the desk and that bid trumped my maximum.  There's no question it was after the hammer fell . . .  I have complained, we'll see.

Upside is that I did get two of the items, with one substantially below my maximum bid.

« Reply #14052 on: 12 December, 2021, 12:42:03 pm »
Wilko puncture kit's gone up to £1.60! It went up to £1.20 quite recently, I think. Before that it was £1.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14053 on: 12 December, 2021, 01:55:59 pm »
Deflation inflation?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14054 on: 12 December, 2021, 03:30:15 pm »
I miss having a boiler fed shower.
When you've come home from a cold winters pootle standing under an electric shower and its pifflous emanations just doesn't provide the same level of cosy.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14055 on: 12 December, 2021, 03:32:52 pm »
When you've come home from a cold winters pootle standing under an electric shower and its pifflous emanations just doesn't provide the same level of cosy.

Something else for you to upgrade to at the new Pingu Towers - a pumped electric shower (I installed one at my daughter's flat and it made a significant difference)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14056 on: 12 December, 2021, 03:36:46 pm »
perhaps you need to share your shower with a pingu.  ;)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #14057 on: 12 December, 2021, 03:39:37 pm »

Something else for you to upgrade to at the new Pingu Towers - a pumped electric shower (I installed one at my daughter's flat and it made a significant difference)

I’m thinking of one of them, as our natural head is piffling - ceiling heights of about 6ft 6” and a cold water tank on a 3ft riser. Which shower did you fit? I assume it runs off the cold water header rather than mains?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14058 on: 12 December, 2021, 03:52:04 pm »
It's nothing to do with low pressure in our case. More the simple fact that as the mains water gets colder the shower throttles the flow back to heat it up sufficiently. Eventual upgrade will be to a boiler fed shower. When I can find the magic beans.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14059 on: 12 December, 2021, 03:56:48 pm »
At my last place, I installed a pumped shower because the bathroom was upstairs, leaving only a couple of feet head of water.

I used a Stuart Turner Monsoon unit, connected to a standard bar mixer.
This was installed in the loft, as low as possible below the cold tank, because the pump does need some positive head to operate.

You need to provide dedicated high capacity feeds to the pump from both the hot and cold water tanks.
You can't just tee it into any convenient hot and cold pipes that run nearby.

Eta: A pumped shower uses stored hot water.
Any shower that does heaty-up-on-the-fly needs a serious amount of power to provide a decent shower. Either many kW of extra-tickly (10.5kW was the biggest when I last looked, requiring 16mm2 cable which is unwieldy to work with), or from a gas boiler which will be in the 20kW+ range.

« Reply #14060 on: 12 December, 2021, 04:07:51 pm »
We had to put in an electric shower for a variety of reasons.  Even at 11kW it still reduces to a trickle in the winter  :'(

« Reply #14061 on: 12 December, 2021, 04:17:09 pm »
What I’m looking for is a pump assisted mixer shower, a I don’t really like power showers, I just need a small boost, maybe 2m extra head. Not sure that’s something that exists.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14062 on: 12 December, 2021, 04:25:43 pm »
What do you not like about Power Showers? From your description of what you want it sounds very similar to what's at my mum's. Cold tank in the loft, stored hot water along the hall with a pump to encourage it along. I wouldn't describe what comes out of the shower as 'Power' but perfectly acceptable. The pump is a bit noisy though.

« Reply #14063 on: 12 December, 2021, 04:32:22 pm »
What do you not like about Power Showers? From your description of what you want it sounds very similar to what's at my mum's. Cold tank in the loft, stored hot water along the hall with a pump to encourage it along. I wouldn't describe what comes out of the shower as 'Power' but perfectly acceptable. The pump is a bit noisy though.

“Power Showers”, or those that I’ve experienced, were so forceful the spray went everywhere (and with a shower curtain, sucked it in) and emptied the tank in short order. I guess it still is a power shower I want, just a bit of a weedy one! One with small pumps built into the box on the wall,  as opposed to a larger pair of inline ones under the bath.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14064 on: 12 December, 2021, 06:05:03 pm »
Shirley the forcefulness of a shower is adjustable by twiddling the knob?  With a power shower you can twiddle between "piddly" and "pressure-washer" (with a separate knob-twiddling axis for hot-cold), and with a Pissy Landlord Electric Shower™ you can twiddle between "warm and piddly" and "arctic pressure washer".

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14065 on: 12 December, 2021, 06:08:42 pm »
 ;D

ian

« Reply #14066 on: 12 December, 2021, 06:21:22 pm »
We have a power shower rainfall thing that takes hot water from the cylinder. It's pretty awesome when it envelopes you in steamy wet hotness. It also has a proper digital temperature setting so there's no faff and it tells you when the water is ready. It even has a little pause after you press the on button to let you withdraw your hand. It's a very risk-averse showering experience.

On the other side of shower experiences, there was the shower I had in Ethiopia once where it really was a bit of hose pipe with a tepid trickle that I somehow had to hold with one hand and soap with the other in what must have been an entertaining spectacle because I looked up at the end to see an entire family watching the show through the broken window.

« Reply #14067 on: 12 December, 2021, 06:34:37 pm »
We had Christmas day in the hills in Vietnam one time. It was a Soviet era hotel and the slightly manky shower with dirty cracked tiles was the low spot. Lower still was that we had to sit on the floor to be low enough such that the dribble of luke warm water had enough pressure to be squeezed out of the shower head.
Rust never sleeps

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14068 on: 12 December, 2021, 07:17:59 pm »
I think this is what Mrs P is hankering for:

IMG_4907_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14069 on: 12 December, 2021, 07:34:57 pm »
Æcellent String Technology  :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14070 on: 12 December, 2021, 08:19:01 pm »
Ah, the Clive-o-Matic 9000, complete with patented 'spicy water' technology.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14071 on: 12 December, 2021, 08:45:49 pm »
I don't generally like showers.
The showers in the basement of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital were good though...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14072 on: 12 December, 2021, 09:05:50 pm »

Oh fuck I really was worried we were going to get electrocuted by that one!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14073 on: 13 December, 2021, 07:35:35 am »

I wouldn't do that to my moka pot.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14074 on: 13 December, 2021, 04:03:52 pm »
Batteries: why does one’s stash never contain enough of the size one actually needs?

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime