Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625876 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15800 on: 29 January, 2023, 05:42:51 pm »
Yes, I once had a car on which I thought for a time one of the rear doors was broken, because a passenger had somehow set it to child lock without me noticing.  :facepalm:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15801 on: 29 January, 2023, 05:48:30 pm »
Kids today probably never get left in a car unsupervised for long enough to read the entire manual and learn how to disable the child locks...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15802 on: 29 January, 2023, 05:54:53 pm »
My Bil and Sil used to leave theirs in the car, parked in the garden, with the key in the ignition so he could amuse himself by blowing the horn constantly. He was about two years old, so too young to read.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15803 on: 29 January, 2023, 06:28:33 pm »
Finally got out on our first bike ride since October. Quite cold when I got home.
Stupid pissy electric shower.
That is all.
I insisted on an over spec combi-boiler just so,I could,have hot water in the shower at close to mains water pressure. This is something I’ve insisted on ever since that first combi. You’ve got to do it Mrs Pingu, you know it makes sense.

It's high up on Mrs P's list of stuffs I can tell you.

It's top of my list of stuffs. I just need to see if my employer sees fit to dispense a decent bonus this year to fund it...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #15804 on: 29 January, 2023, 06:46:25 pm »
Finally got out on our first bike ride since October. Quite cold when I got home.
That is all.

We have a pumped rainfall shower thing. It's the most awesome thing possible to have. It also has digital temperature settings and a blinky light and beep when the temperature is ready. It even gives you a pause so you can press the on-button and withdraw before the flow starts.

The non-pumped shower that just takes water from the hot cylinder is like holding a leaking kitten over your head. There's something messed up about the hot water in the Asbestos Palace, it takes weeks, for instance, to get from the cylinder to the hot water tap in the bathroom, despite the fact they're about 2.5 metres apart. I think the pipework must go via Kent.

« Reply #15805 on: 29 January, 2023, 07:04:35 pm »
Maybe you had a Soviet plumber?

I love all the dystopian tales from the Eastern bloc era, such as the Yugoslav town which had one central plant outside town to provide hot water and central heating for everyone.

Need I say more?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15806 on: 29 January, 2023, 08:18:00 pm »
That is all.

We have a pumped rainfall shower thing. It's the most awesome thing possible to have. It also has digital temperature settings and a blinky light and beep when the temperature is ready. It even gives you a pause so you can press the on-button and withdraw before the flow starts.

The non-pumped shower that just takes water from the hot cylinder is like holding a leaking kitten over your head. There's something messed up about the hot water in the Asbestos Palace, it takes weeks, for instance, to get from the cylinder to the hot water tap in the bathroom, despite the fact they're about 2.5 metres apart. I think the pipework must go via Kent.
The gravity-only shower in the Shrine To 1980s Pampas works well considering that the head available is about 0.5m.  It's a Mira Agile EV, which was the mixer I found that would run off the lowest pressure.  I used all-swept bends, a separate feed from the cold water cistern, and a Warwick flange on the cylinder.  There is about 18" from the cylinder to the mixer, so it runs hot almost instantly.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15807 on: 29 January, 2023, 08:34:22 pm »
That is all.

The gravity-only shower in the Shrine To 1980s Pampas works well considering that the head available is about 0.5m.  It's a Mira Agile EV, which was the mixer I found that would run off the lowest pressure.  I used all-swept bends, a separate feed from the cold water cistern, and a Warwick flange on the cylinder.  There is about 18" from the cylinder to the mixer, so it runs hot almost instantly.
I have no idea what a Warwick flange is but I'm not at all surprised that it's in 1980s Pampas.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15808 on: 29 January, 2023, 09:50:04 pm »
Oddly, it's nothing to do with *that* episode of Inbetweeners.

It's an independent shower outlet from the top of the cylinder that should be free of air bubbles and won't suffer a significant pressure drop (ooh, cold shower) if someone in the house uses a hot tap.

A Surrey flange is very similar, just with a horizontal instead of vertical shower outlet.

An Essex flange does the same job but requires drilling the side of the cylinder.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15809 on: 30 January, 2023, 07:44:12 am »
On screen keyboard on a mobile without the apostrophe, where you have to go back and forth to symbols.

Not if you use the French layout.  Or is that illegal in the UK these days?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15810 on: 30 January, 2023, 07:53:02 am »
On screen keyboard on a mobile without the apostrophe, where you have to go back and forth to symbols.

French layouts are confiscated at the border.

Mostly I let the phone insert apostrophes. That approach to correct words is sriskier on an apple, where getting a cursor into the middle of a word seems to break some design principle.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15811 on: 30 January, 2023, 09:29:27 am »

French layouts are confiscated at the border.

Death of my life and sacred blue. (GMF thx)

Mostly I let the phone insert apostrophes. That approach to correct words is sriskier on an apple, where getting a cursor into the middle of a word seems to break some design principle.

Aye well, apples are sold by grocer's.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15812 on: 30 January, 2023, 09:53:15 am »

These days, you get arrested and thrown in prison if you use a French keyboard.
</Stewart_Lee>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15813 on: 30 January, 2023, 12:59:07 pm »
I thought one of the main benefits of brexit was that we could throw the French keyboards in the same bin as the SCART connectors?

Anyway, my mobile keyboard has the apostrophe on the 'v' key.  It's the colon and semicolon (on 'b' and 'n' respectively) that I tend to struggle with, because my eyeballs don't have enough pixels to tell them apart in poor lighting conditions.  (And if you're having to use a colon, semi or otherwise, from a mobile device you're already having a bad day.)

« Reply #15814 on: 30 January, 2023, 01:58:46 pm »
It’s the car battery that’s flat, and this being a 2006 A3, it has a visible conventional lock on the drivers door, but nothing on the passenger side. I’m still of the mind the passenger door is bust, any door should be openable from the inside,no matter the state of the central locking.

If the car has deadlocking, it may not be possible to open the passenger door without the central locking working. That's the whole point of deadlocking - you can't smash a window and reach through to pull the handle.

In normal operation, once the car is unlocked, the deadlocks are off. Even if lock it from inside (or it autolocks on drive off) by pressing the lock button, it doesn't deadlock and you can get out by pulling a handle in an emergency. You can only set the deadlocks from the outside, either by the remote or some incantation of double or long locking using a key.

Interestingly (or not) the hidden mechanical lock on at least some JLR products is in the passenger side door, not the driver's.

ian

« Reply #15815 on: 31 January, 2023, 08:56:22 pm »
An Essex flange does the same job but requires drilling the side of the cylinder.

It's at this point I fear the internet has got away from me.

I blame the manky pipework at The Asbestos Palace on the usual fact the former owners were BBC set designers. I assume the super-low flow rates are down to the fact that much of the pipework is actually now-illegal drinking straws and sticky-backed plastic.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15816 on: 01 February, 2023, 12:37:32 am »
After The Man redid all the water mains in the area a few years ago,  by stuffing plastic pipes inside the existing antediluvian ones, my water went from “boiler supplies screamingly hot water when bath tap is wide open” to “more than 3/4 of a turn on tap = luke-warm bath”.  And you only have to nudge the cold tap by about bugger-all to render the boiler's efforts null and void.

This makes no sense.

Additional: Bugger off, Officer Biggles, and take your helichopter with you >:(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15817 on: 01 February, 2023, 08:14:33 am »
Bloody Stannah rides again, or rather doesn't.  Fixed a month ago, the wretched electric chair went clunk and stopped dead in exactly the same place as last time.  Last time which cost us 300€ that could have been better spent ripping the thing out and dumping it in a ditch. Stannah's after-sales service switchboard tells me "To remain close to you at all times, we cover the whole of France" but the mechanic is based around 200 km from here and has to cover the whole of Alsace and Lorraine as well.

And now our stairs are 50% blocked into the bargain.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15818 on: 01 February, 2023, 09:12:18 am »
While it is admirable that the motor-ists of E17 are showing support for striking teachers this Unit would rather they didn’t do so by sounding the horns of their motor-cars when said Unit's normal getting-up time is still an hour and a half in the future.

(Reaches for matches)

Omnes:Bethany (12)!  You gotta rival!
Bethany (12):Fck! Off!
ML Maire:To prop my eyelids open, cretins!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15819 on: 01 February, 2023, 03:19:49 pm »

Jbex took me to sunny Bromley by Bow today. A Wokka flew over, heading north then seemed to pause off in the distance. I wondered, idly, if it was was hovering over Larrington Towers, just to annoy you.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15820 on: 01 February, 2023, 03:25:33 pm »

Jbex took me to sunny Bromley by Bow today. A Wokka flew over, heading north then seemed to pause off in the distance. I wondered, idly, if it was was hovering over Larrington Towers, just to annoy you.
I think it lands / parks / docks at North Weald - so it is going to pass Mr.L's place pretty much wherever it is crime busting in London.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15821 on: 01 February, 2023, 06:16:00 pm »
Officer Biggles seems to spend an inordinate amount of time hovering around E17 thobut, mostly in the middle of the night or on Sunday afternoons.

Jeeves!  Fetch my MANPAD!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15822 on: 01 February, 2023, 06:39:06 pm »

I think it lands / parks / dock at North Weald - so it is going to pass Mr.L's place pretty much wherever it is crime busting in London.
In my world, and possibly others, according to teh intarwebs, a Wokka is a Chinook, on account of the sound. I don't think London's Finest, who keep their aircraft at North Weald, use them.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15823 on: 01 February, 2023, 06:50:05 pm »

I think it lands / parks / dock at North Weald - so it is going to pass Mr.L's place pretty much wherever it is crime busting in London.
In my world, and possibly others, according to teh intarwebs, a Wokka is a Chinook, on account of the sound. I don't think London's Finest, who keep their aircraft at North Weald, use them.
The Polis copter lives, I believe, at North Weald.
The Chinooks are, as far as I know, Army jobbies which relax with cocktails in Woolwich barracks.
They have to fly down the Lea Valley and along the Thames.
Flying elsewhere is verboten is my understanding.
Tim Collins may enlighten us further in due course.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15824 on: 01 February, 2023, 07:15:56 pm »

The Polis copter lives, I believe, at North Weald.
The Chinooks are, as far as I know, Army jobbies which relax with cocktails in Woolwich barracks.
They have to fly down the Lea Valley and along the Thames.
Flying elsewhere is verboten is my understanding.
Tim Collins may enlighten us further in due course.

The police choppers used to be based at Sewardstonebury/Chingford - just adjacent to Gilwell Park, the Boy Scout place - not sure if they still are.    My father lived at Sewardstonebury and the noise pissed him off immensely.

... and to me a Wokka is also a Chinook