Author Topic: beginner questions  (Read 1437 times)

beginner questions
« on: 13 March, 2010, 10:49:42 am »
OK please bear with me. I need help.

I have just been loaned a Vista C from Tiermat.

I can connect it to my computer and using MapSource it knows the GPS is there.  I can see some tracks and see them on a map. How can I access to the GPX file ?

I want to be able to load GPXs and download tracks to use them in Google maps and the like. What else do I need ? Am I missing something.

This is basic. Statements such as 'load the file into your GPS' are not detailed enough, nor is 'download your latest track'

help

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Re: beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2010, 11:02:34 am »
If you have produced a gpx with the likes of google maps, you can save it to your desktop and right click it and choose "open with" and select Map Source as the application.  The route will then open in mapsource.  If your GPS is connected, you then select 'transfer' > 'send to device' and click on routes.  The route will then be sent to the device.

« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2010, 11:34:55 am »
Thanks, got that, I can see itin the GPS !   :thumbsup: .

I think it was Greenbank that suggested a value of recording ones position not much space is taken up, was it every minute ? every 2 mins ? every 1 km ?

« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2010, 11:39:11 am »
Not me as my GPS (bog standard eTrex) has finite space (10,000 trackpoints). So over a 200km ride I record a point every 5 seconds (50,000 seconds is just under 14 hours), this just scales for longer rides (LEL I had points 45 seconds apart or so).

With a GPS that takes a memory card I'd put it on the maximum of 1 point per second. Even a full day's riding at that setting will be under 10MB.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2010, 12:18:13 pm »
For track recording, I think "Auto" mode is pretty good for most purposes. If you set it to "Most Often" it will record the route pretty accurately, while still having plenty space for long rides.
I think with that it will record a point every 10-20 seconds or so, but it will record more points where they are needed, ie on twisty bits, and fewer when you are going in straight line. Plus it won't record any when you are stopped.

I now have an eTrex with a memory card, so I usually set it to 1 point per second. It works out at about 350KB per hour, so with a 2GB card there's no danger of running out of space.
Though 1 point per second is a bit excessive, unless you are using it for surveying etc.

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2010, 04:21:08 pm »
Now. If I was loading a route to follow such as an Audax routesheet. Do I want a 'track' or  a 'route' ? How do I decide which ? What do others do ?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »
Everyone sees it differently, personal preference.

Having a Track to follow is much like having a map that you've gone over with a highlighter.
The preparation involved is minimal and lots of people see it as being all they need.
If you're a 'just turn up and ride' type of person, Tracks will probably suit you best.

If however you're the type of person who pores over a routesheet in advance, and checks every instruction - or even as some people do retype it in their own style  ::-) - then you're the sort of person who would get the most out of making and following a Route.
It requires more preparation but then it also gives more back, by way of prompts at turns, especially useful on a night ride.
Routes are also longer-legged, a single Route can cover a much longer distance than a Track can (but for circular rides it is still a good idea to split a Route into 2, out and back, otherwise it can get confused).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll