Author Topic: Crisp sandwiches  (Read 7783 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Crisp sandwiches
« Reply #25 on: 29 July, 2019, 11:23:47 pm »
I used to eat Heinz spaghetti in sandwiches, but maybe I'm risking opening a can of worms.

Carbs with the carbs.... on toast maybe.

Cold or hot tinned stuff?

« Reply #26 on: 29 July, 2019, 11:24:50 pm »
I used to eat Heinz spaghetti in sandwiches, but maybe I'm risking opening a can of worms.

;D ;D ;D

or vermicelli...

;D :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 29 July, 2019, 11:26:16 pm »

Carbs with the carbs.... on toast maybe.

Cold or hot tinned stuff?

Hot, of couse! With plnty of butter, too.

I'm not some sort of animal hooligan!

« Reply #28 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:08:26 am »
Is it just crisps in between two slices of bread, or are you adding crisps to a sandwich with filling.

No to start an arguement!!!! Is this a:

1-Bread Roll
2-Balm
3-Balm cake
4-Bread Cake
5-Cob

Edit: added no5
Known as a Barm cake in Manchester.

fuzzy

« Reply #29 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:29:35 am »
Is it just crisps in between two slices of bread, or are you adding crisps to a sandwich with filling.

No to start an arguement!!!! Is this a:

1-Bread Roll
2-Balm
3-Balm cake
4-Bread Cake
5-Cob

Edit: added no5
With nothing to set scale, they could be petit fours (or however it is spelled) but, in my head, they are a roll.

Anything made of bread, designed to be decapitated and filled with other toothy comestibles is a roll.

There are various designs of roll- big, small, pathetic, crusty, soft, seeded etc. but a roll is a roll.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #30 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:47:55 am »
It has to be Smith's Square Crisps (not Walkers) on Mother's Pride bread!

ian

« Reply #31 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:13:54 am »
All rolls are cobs in Erewashia, there's no fancy subdivisions, you have cheese cobs, chip cobs, and meat cobs. That's about it.

This may be unique, but as kids, we put (extra) salt and vinegar on our crisps. This resulted in an utterly nomacious sludge of vinegary and salty crisp residue in the bottom of the bag.

It may be a lingering and unshiftable curse of my upbringing, but I really don't especially like posh food.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #32 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:16:19 am »
Roll or softie.

fuzzy

« Reply #33 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:25:16 am »
2 slices of white bread both buttered. One pack of crisps of your preferred flavour but, anyone who has anything other than cheese and onion crisps in a crisp butty is weird, carefully scrunch the crisps whilst in the bag to make good size rubble, open bag, pour crisps on one slice of bread, top off with other slice of bread, nom.

fuzzy

« Reply #34 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:27:03 am »
Don't know about crisp sandwiches, but the current fashion for serving crisps with a sandwich is something I don't get. It's too much dry with dry, starch with starch, and not enough bulk.

Yeahbut, crisps and sammiches is proper lunch innit. wash down with beer or tea depending on what you are doing- working, lazing or sunning.

ian

« Reply #35 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:30:31 am »
Also, if you've a side of crisps and a bit of bread crust left, you can make an impromptu mini-crisp sandwich.

You can (and should) do the same with chips.

fuzzy

« Reply #36 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:30:52 am »
Avocado & Frazzles.  Just saying.

Oooh, I bet you're sprting a carefuly trimmed beard, armfuls of arty tatoos whilst wearing a tight fitting shirt, jeans with the legs rolled up to mid shin and have your Avacado and Frazzles sandwiches wrapped in perfectly creased artisan greaseproof paper, stowed on your manbag whilst pedalling your fixie with 12" wide handlebars.

Of course, branding you a chuffing hipster might be doing you a disservice......

;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 30 July, 2019, 11:04:51 am »
Don't know about crisp sandwiches, but the current fashion for serving crisps with a sandwich is something I don't get. It's too much dry with dry, starch with starch, and not enough bulk.

Yeahbut, crisps and sammiches is proper lunch innit. wash down with beer or tea depending on what you are doing- working, lazing or sunning.
Certain circumstances call for beer and tea.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 30 July, 2019, 12:29:48 pm »
All rolls are cobs in Erewashia, there's no fancy subdivisions, you have cheese cobs, chip cobs, and meat cobs. That's about it.

"With this cheese cob I'll save the nation/Save my tummy from starvation" ~ Lawnmower DETH who, unsurprisingly, are from the Nottinam area.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #39 on: 30 July, 2019, 12:42:42 pm »
Avocado & Frazzles.  Just saying.

Oooh, I bet you're sprting a carefuly trimmed beard, armfuls of arty tatoos whilst wearing a tight fitting shirt, jeans with the legs rolled up to mid shin and have your Avacado and Frazzles sandwiches wrapped in perfectly creased artisan greaseproof paper, stowed on your manbag whilst pedalling your fixie with 12" wide handlebars.

Of course, branding you a chuffing hipster might be doing you a disservice......

;)

Busted.   :o

;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #40 on: 30 July, 2019, 12:51:21 pm »
Crisp sarnies are OK, but the king of the crunchy sandwich has to be Cheddars, made with soft white sliced and a smear of ketchup.   
It's probably decades since I last had one, but now probably only hours before the next.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #41 on: 30 July, 2019, 06:01:28 pm »
Cheese & onion crisps are ming.

Spaghetti on toast OTH :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #42 on: 30 July, 2019, 06:03:27 pm »
Cheese & onion crisps are ming.

Spaghetti on toast OTH :P

Agreed on the cheese and onion crisps. They remind me of that kebab van smell of an late evening...  :sick:
It is simpler than it looks.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #43 on: 30 July, 2019, 06:15:42 pm »
The small bread items above ^ are obviously 'splits'
(and the basis of a real cream tea)

Crisp sarnies are OK, but the king of the crunchy sandwich has to be Cheddars, made with soft white sliced and a smear of ketchup.   
The only acceptable condiment for Cheddars is Heinz sandwich spread  ;D

« Reply #44 on: 30 July, 2019, 06:23:38 pm »
All the types of bread rolls people have been are different.
A cob is almost hemispherical and has a brittle crust (one of my favourites, but then I was born in Leicestershire).
A barm cake is flatter and has a soft crust.
Splits are made with a slightly enriched dough.
Stotties are that weird quarter circle shape, as are the huffers I've had in Essex.
Bridge rolls are the sort of thing you put hot dogs in.

All different. All add to the variety of life.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #45 on: 30 July, 2019, 06:52:23 pm »
In parts of Yorkshire what is called a barm cake in Lancashire is known as a plian teacake. Therefore, we had to refer to what every bugger else calls a teacake as a currant teacake.

I may be channelling alun Cochrane.

« Reply #46 on: 30 July, 2019, 07:25:14 pm »
What you really want is a sausage roll sandwich. Ingredients, one sausage roll (has to have very flaky pastry) preferably warm, one bread cake soft and floured. That's it.
TM Archbishop Holgates Grammer School York circa 1976.
There was a bakery just outside the school gates and that's how we spent our dinner money. Possibly a Russian slice as well.
I wonder if they still do that, the bakery is still there I think.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #47 on: 30 July, 2019, 07:28:04 pm »
Stotties are that weird quarter circle shape, as are the huffers I've had in Essex.

When I live din Newcastle in the 80s stotties were usually semi circular. An actual stottie is a circle but when sold as a sandwich you got half of it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #48 on: 30 July, 2019, 07:52:41 pm »
What, no baps? 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #49 on: 30 July, 2019, 08:18:58 pm »
My lunch for a lot of secondary school was a burger which within the bun I added a slice of pepperoni pizza and a sausage roll torn in half.

How the hell I left there only 8 & 1/2 stone I don't know.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1