Poll

Which statement sums up your view on the domestic feline...

Adore them and have 2+
19 (39.6%)
Love them and have a cat
12 (25%)
Would definitely have a cat, but none yet.
4 (8.3%)
Prefer other pets, but have nothing really against them.
3 (6.3%)
Dislike cats simply because I think they're 'aloof'.
0 (0%)
Dislike cats because they defecate in the garden, and kill wildlife.  (have nothing against their human owners though.)
5 (10.4%)
Any pet that looks me in the eye and says 'keep me' - I do... Cats are OK.
3 (6.3%)
Allergic
1 (2.1%)
Just not into pets at all.
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Cats as Pets...  (Read 2945 times)

Cats as Pets...
« on: 04 October, 2009, 05:23:35 pm »
What do you reckon?  

I grew up with three cats and two dogs.  One cat was huge, wanted to be left alone, and had lethal claws, the other two were very sweet natured, the youngest of which used to curl up with the dog (saluki) and allow its whiskers to be nibbled...

But now as someone in a suburban area that has cats all around, and wishes that our frog population wasn't being decimated by them, and that I didn't keep uncovering their offerings...  have to say wouldn't have one now.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Cats as Pets...
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »
Admin note: be careful how you respond to this thread, and read the "animal cruelty" sticky.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2009, 05:37:58 pm »
I'm typing this with a very large, purring lump of black and white fur on my lap

Need I say more.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2009, 05:41:56 pm »
Hmm. "Have two and adore them" isn't exactly right. Where's the "currently have two in the menagerie because I am a Softie who takes in any psychotic/neurotic animal that no-one else will if asked" option? At the very least a "tolerate them and seem to have a couple" option is needed.  :)

Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2009, 05:45:11 pm »
Yes some cats do  Bad Stuff to voles.  But on the scale of environmental destructors, they must rate pretty inconsequential in the UK.  

A different story in some parts of the world, of course.

Kathy also makes a good point - I'd never have a specially-bred cat or buy one from a breeder.  Ours have been rescue cats from the CPL, or random poorly strays.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2009, 06:04:10 pm »
Prefer other pets, but have nothing really against them.

We have enough other pets without a cat too  :D

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2009, 06:08:52 pm »
We currently have two (was three but Frankie "ran away"  :'(). They are our babies and we make no apologies for that - neither of us can stand children.  :sick: ;D

I can't think of a better pet than a cat. OK, some dogs are alright but they're way more bother. The only time I dislike our two is when they bring live animals/birds into the house such as rabbits, rats, and pigeons but that soon passes.

And like, MV, we've always had cats from the CPL.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2009, 06:14:13 pm »
Kathy also makes a good point - I'd never have a specially-bred cat or buy one from a breeder.  Ours have been rescue cats from the CPL, or random poorly strays.

I didn't even get as far as going to the rescue centre - four out of five in the current menagerie were all acquired by the being-asked-by-an-acquaintance-if-I-will-accomodate-an-animal-which-no-one-else-will method. Consequentally, I never seem to get the most stable and well-adjusted pets.  ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

rogerzilla

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2009, 06:33:25 pm »
I know some people who are genuinely freaked out by the way cats sit and stare.  Look, they're not trying to psyche you out, it's just that their meagre cognitive abilities have momentarily failed them and they can't actually move until the system reboots itself.  Kill, eat, shag, sleep, that's about the size of it.  Spiritual my arse  :)

The way to make friends with a cat, incidentally, is *not* to look at it.  They see eye contact from you as a challenge and will pick someone else.  That's why the person at a party who doesn't like cats always ends up with one on their lap.

rdaviesb

« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2009, 09:52:16 pm »
People do not have cats as pets. They decide to have their human as a pet..............

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2009, 09:58:15 pm »
Voted accurately at a family level. We have cats. Some adore them.

For me - they are vermin control officers - and they're currently doing a totally shite job  >:(.

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 04 October, 2009, 09:59:36 pm »
You need one bred from generations of Great Western Railway ratters.  At least, mine came from the street next to the old Swindon works, so that's my theory.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 04 October, 2009, 10:11:42 pm »
You need one bred from generations of Great Western Railway ratters.  At least, mine came from the street next to the old Swindon works, so that's my theory.

They keep on asking you for your ticket?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #13 on: 04 October, 2009, 10:14:30 pm »
I voted wrong, got three, don't adore them but do love them.

Ok, I probably do adore them and they definitely adore me - which is nice.

Very easy to bugger off for the weekend or a long day on the bike and leave enough food down for them, they just seem to sleep more than usual and wake up to eat when I get back.

If circumstances changed I'd have the dog back tomorrow and do less cycling but that's not the question here. Two of the cats adore the dog.

« Reply #14 on: 04 October, 2009, 10:16:11 pm »
BTW can owners train/discipline cats not to catch amphibians etc.  Apparently the new neighbour's two cats have been bringing back 'a frog a night'.  I'm guessing cats don't actually eat frogs.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #15 on: 04 October, 2009, 11:07:06 pm »
I like cats, and I like dogs.  I can't keep a dog since I'm away so much of the day it would be cruel.  A cat effectively sees to it's own walkies, and so long as I feed it a few times a day, is mostly happy.  That's a little bit unfair to Talisker, who does appear to like human company.

I suspect in an environment like the British Isles, where cats have been around an awful long time, the prey-predator things have sorted themselves out.  Any species which was going to suffer from the existence of cats will have long since have been wiped out.  More cats in an area will likely temporarily reduce the number of prey animals (mice, rats, garden birds, squirrels, possibly frogs) which will consequently mean more food for the remainder, so they'll breed faster, and produce more young.

Cats have decimated entire populations of species, especially in areas where there are no similar local predators.  On occasions, a cat (singular) has caused the extinction of a species. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #16 on: 04 October, 2009, 11:11:11 pm »
Love them and used to have one.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #17 on: 04 October, 2009, 11:29:41 pm »
I suspect in an environment like the British Isles, where cats have been around an awful long time, the prey-predator things have sorted themselves out. 

Except in the last ten or so years it has become fashionable to concrete over one's front garden to make a parking space, and install decking in the place of the shrubbery, thus removing a lot of sanctuary for small squeaky and chirpy things. :-\

Fifteen years ago, I thought bells on cats were silly. Now, I think they should be compulsory in suburbia. Humans have rapidly removed a lot more hidey-holes, the cats are loving it, and the prey hasn't had a chance to adapt.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #18 on: 05 October, 2009, 07:32:14 am »
I suspect in an environment like the British Isles, where cats have been around an awful long time, the prey-predator things have sorted themselves out. 

Except in the last ten or so years it has become fashionable to concrete over one's front garden to make a parking space, and install decking in the place of the shrubbery, thus removing a lot of sanctuary for small squeaky and chirpy things. :-\

Fifteen years ago, I thought bells on cats were silly. Now, I think they should be compulsory in suburbia. Humans have rapidly removed a lot more hidey-holes, the cats are loving it, and the prey hasn't had a chance to adapt.

Alfie and Geordie have very noise bells but it doesn't stop them killing at will. By the time the prey hears the bell - it's too late.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #19 on: 05 October, 2009, 07:49:01 am »
I ticked the 2+ box because there isnt an option for 'Mrs Mike had 2 when I met her and refused to get rid of them, they wont bloody die so we've still got them, I suppose I've learnt to grudgingly respect them, even though I am allergic and am on permanent anti-histamines'. 

« Reply #20 on: 05 October, 2009, 02:35:18 pm »
Alfie and Geordie have very noise bells but it doesn't stop them killing at will. By the time the prey hears the bell - it's too late.

Emmie's bell hasn't stopped her catching a frog (released moderately unharmed) and a young rat, but I think it has reduced the amount she would otherwise catch. Her favourite prey at the moment though is the red-and-blue jingly ball - much better than the green, pink or yellow jingly balls, and it can be hunted from the warmth of the sofa.

« Reply #21 on: 05 October, 2009, 03:22:33 pm »
We have three cats.  The only one that catches things is Ozzy, the youngest.  He lurks under our trailer and occasionally pounces on baby birds that come down to the floor rather than sit on the seed feeders, and is a very good mouser.  He was very useful when we had a mouse infestation in our shed last year.  I wish he wouldn't catch birds but there isn't a lot we can do about it.  He is equipped with a jingly collar but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  The beeping collars are good, but you can't put a magnet for the cat flap on one (they don't fit over the fastening).

The remaining two are too old and idle to catch anything.

I'd hate to be without my cats - they are my family, my children.  The most I've had is four (Cindy was Ozzy's twin sister and she was killed by a car earlier this year).  I'd definitely have another one if I were allowed but I've just been allowed to have chickens so this is pushing it a bit!
Spinning, but not cycling...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #22 on: 05 October, 2009, 04:02:37 pm »
Can't be doing with pets. Fail to see any advantage in having one of any variety. Have tolerated gf's cat (somewhat before Mrs n) but I would have struggled, even then, with putting up with a dog.
There's no vibrations, but wait.