Author Topic: cat training  (Read 1405 times)

cat training
« on: 05 July, 2011, 07:26:27 am »
our 19 year old moggie [Min] who is quite perky, given she's deaf as a post with dodgy kidneys, has started howling really loud.  At first it was just a couple of times a week but now it's all the bloody time, right through the night.  I got about 3 hours sleep the last 2 nights because she wont stop and even shutting her in the kitchen doesnt help cos she's loud enough to hear upstairs.

Is there any way to train a cat?  She's not hungry / thirsty / in need of outside, she's just bloody noisy!

border-rider

Re: cat training
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2011, 08:05:32 am »
Vet. Could well be a thyroid problem - massively increased vocalisation can be a symptom. 

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:17:35 am »
Good call, we've pretty much got loyalty cards there as it is...

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:02:27 am »
Is there any way to train a cat?

ROFLMAO  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:09:23 pm »
Poor old sausage.
Pretty common in older cats, night wailing. But +1 to what MV says.
Mojo's been really loud of late, but not at night fortunately (yet), and I'm pretty sure he's not hyperthyroid because he's still a fat cat. I think he's just got bats in the belfry.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:48:53 pm »
Be careful...

our old Amy was always plump, and slimmed a bit but remained round. They diagnosed a mild thyroid problem at her annual service, but she died suddenly from thyroid-related heart/lung damage before we could start the treatment.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:25:17 pm »
Rats, now I have the fear.

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »
She'd lost a fair bit of weight - which is what triggered the tests - but she was still podgy. 

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:45:37 pm »
We have been weighing him periodically, doesn't seem to have been any change, but then he eats next door's cat slop, as well as his own super expensive vet biscuits.  ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:53:17 pm »
Alfie always fairly yowly, but he is more so and louder since he went deaf. He has had failing kidneys for a year and a half and is on special renal blandness for a diet. He yowls a bit at night, then finds a child to cuddle up with.

He is so deaf that you can spook him by tapping him on his back from behind (but not deaf enough that he cannot hear the clacking of food plates)
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:55:58 pm »
He is so deaf that you can spook him by tapping him on his back from behind (but not deaf enough that he cannot hear the clacking of food plates)
I have seen that "disease" in dogs and humans too.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit