Author Topic: Cat Losing (a little) Fur  (Read 2676 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Cat Losing (a little) Fur
« on: 24 March, 2013, 05:06:51 pm »
We've noticed that our Mia The Cat (age 14, short-haired gray, totally indoor cat) is losing very small tufts of fur from the top of her head. It's just a couple of small sticky-up "tufty bits", and what comes out isn't leaving any bald bits. She seems well enough, is eating and everything normally, isn't over-grooming, and she's not overly sensitive in that area.
Obviously we'll take her to the vet if it continues or gets worse. Meanwhile, has anyone else's cat had this?  :-\
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Re: Cat Losing (a little) Fur
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2013, 03:32:04 pm »
In February our 15 year old short-haired cat was losing tail hair through over-grooming.  The vet reckoned it was stress which we found hard to believe as he seems very unstressed.  Still he was given a course of 5 injections and it fixed the problem.  Cost £50 or £10 a time.
Move Faster and Bake Things

fuzzy

« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »
Are the 'tufts' connected to anything? I ask as sometimes one of our cats will get a scratch or nick from something and, after a few days, a small tuft of fur will fall out attached to a little scab.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2013, 07:43:01 am »
Thanks asterix and fuzzy. Things seen to have settled down. She's not over-grooming at all, and it was only very small tufts. I know what you mean, fuzzy: I did have a cat once who regularly had fights, and little scabby tufts would come out.

Now, what else can I think of to worry about, apart from our leaking washing machine, the Eurozone, UKIP, the York Arrow weather.....   :-\

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:50:32 am »
Aha! That makes sense. Perhaps she is getting ready for summer, more in hope than expectation, it was snowing again here this morning.  ::-)
But what you say "feels right". Thank you, Oranj.  :)

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2013, 05:37:37 pm »

Does it need a combover?