Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195861 times)

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #875 on: 11 July, 2017, 12:20:49 pm »
After my right knee started stabbing me and collapsing when I stood up, I DNF'd after day 1 (first DNF ever, big thanks to Mike F for staying with me and helping me back, sorry I slowed you down a bit, hope I can repay your kindness in the future) anyway I was a bit down, that notwithstanding I decided to stay at the control and help out, and you know what, I had an excellent weekend, it was great to meet so many top class people, Andy the headmaster and his wife Anne (how cool were they!), John the teacher (had some great late night conversations John)

Martin my fellow helper, Disco Stu (met him later on Monday for dinner at the pub), "James the fast" had a bit of a South African twang, but claims he comes from Kent, rolled in hours ahead of the next riders with broccoli and beer! he was cool, Paramedic Tim, he was gutted not to have made it, but still in good spirits, had some good laughs with Andy Corless (it's true)

There were a couple of lads that blasted back to Sedbergh on day 3, not to make the control time, oh no, that wasn't important, but to catch the pub open, so they could have a few, top lads!
To name but a few of the great people that made it an excellent experience, sorry if I've forgot to mention you, you know you're great!, no one put me down for dropping out, the atmosphere was very friendly, thank you all.

I also had a good ramble around town with Dean and got to know the area and school a bit better, We also accidentally bumped into fellow clubmate Aidan Hedley at the Italian cafe/restaurant (Al Forno pizza) stuffing a pizza down his neck, on his Border Raid route check ride.

I'll remember this one more than the first MP1K

Steve
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #876 on: 11 July, 2017, 12:21:42 pm »
Hi all,

Home and happy. Third attempt at a Corless special and the first completion. I just want to repeat all the feelings above about the helpers and the friendship shown on this ride.

For me I know I would not get up the 30% hills and walked these. I managed every other hill.

During the ride I was struck by the way Andy Corless describes section. So here is my guild "Learn to speak Corless"

- Flat - Normal road with less than 2,000m per 100km climbing and no slopes over 15%
- Not too bad - Multiple hills up to 20%. Any single 20% climb would be the key section of any club ride.
- Quite hilly - This is how Andy commented on the section from RHB to Rosedale Chimney. Anyone who can ride all this is in an elite group. From memory 4 x 30% slopes.

Great time. Main objective achieved. Time to rest.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #877 on: 11 July, 2017, 02:35:46 pm »
2nd time lucky  :)

I think Andy repeated the event this year for those of us too soft to finish last year's event in near apocalyptic/biblical conditions, so thanks for that Andy  :thumbsup:

Superb venue for the central control, so many thanks to the Head...and hearty thanks also to the kitchen crew.

Deano, wish I'd met you to thank you in person for the fantastic route and eating tips listed above. That prison cafe was so good (great VFM, fast and friendly service,  lovely setting...yes really!) that I told Andy it should IMH be the official control for Yarm, with garage for back-up control when cafe is closed.

Cheers all
LBR

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #878 on: 11 July, 2017, 02:50:47 pm »
"too soft to finish last year's event in near apocalyptic/biblical conditions"

The question of the contribution of the weather to last years abandons was raised a number of times. It did rain with short down pours on the first day and for a few hours between Hexham and Kielder on the second. The wind was strong on some sections, but overall not a problem. I do not remember the biblical weather that people mention .....

I did abandon at a similar time to Rich. It was the route and not the weather that caused me to abandon.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #879 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:01:14 pm »
"James the fast" had a bit of a South African twang, but claims he comes from Kent, rolled in hours ahead of the next riders with broccoli and beer!

I'm most defiantly from Kent :) It was great to meet you too Steve. Thanks for helping to make this a most memorable weekend  :thumbsup:
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #880 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:07:50 pm »
The question of the contribution of the weather to last years abandons was raised a number of times. It did rain with short down pours on the first day and for a few hours between Hexham and Kielder on the second. The wind was strong on some sections, but overall not a problem. I do not remember the biblical weather that people mention .....

Ultimately it was the headwind that killed my chances last year. 10 hours to do 150k to Kielder by 4pm. And projecting another 14 hours for the remaining 200 that day, taking me through the night to 6am...envisaging no sleep, straight out onto day 3...the appeal of a pub dinner and cosy B&B in Kielder got the better of me and I had a fine w/e, no regrets, and a determination to get the job finished if AC ever obliged us with a repeat event. So thanks again Andy  :thumbsup:

« Reply #881 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:18:44 pm »
I entered this with my longest ever ride having been the Peregrine 300 the weekend prior, so its fair to say I started with a degree of expectation management.

Day one passed in a blur. Progress to Ambleside was pretty rapid I seem to recall, then the weather was a bit bleak all the way to Seascale. Hardknott was misted over on the top, but thankfully the surface was dry so no major traction issues. I did get off at one point, but only because an oncoming car broke my rhythm.
Went slightly wrong after diverting into Ambleside for water and food, with the Garmin (Edge Touring - CRAP!) whingeing at me to re-calculate. Thereafter though, the ride to Kendal was quick, but the hill prior to Sedbergh was murder and I rolled into central control at 2120 pretty much out of gas. Luckily, Andy and his helpers were on hand to dish out prodigious quantities of pasta and rice pud, before a hot shower and bed by 2230.

I'd set my alarm for 0400 for day 2, but struggled to sleep for various reasons and was wide away at 0230. Had a leisurely and plentiful brekkie and was out on the road at 0320, with warm long sleeved jersey, legwarmers and overshoes to keep out the chill. Teamed up with Jason from Bristol after a few miles, who I rode with the whole day. Whilst the climbing was plentiful, none of it was unexpected and the views and sense of increasing remoteness as we headed north was fantastic.
The section from Hexham to Kielder seemed to take forever and was probably the first time in the ride I let the negative thoughts in. We controlled at the world's crappest shop in Kielder and began the turn South, into a pretty tasty headwind. Despite this, I seemed to rally a bit and after crossing the amazing Langholme Moor and reaching the A7, then A6, we were tanking along nicely.
We were at Penrith at 2030 and I was feeling pretty bushed after the quick miles. I was also massively bloated after all the rubbish stodge I'd been shovelling down the last 48 hours, but, TMI ALERT, could not lighten the load! I really struggled after Penrith, although I did enjoy the views over the Howgills as the sun set. The final few miles to Sedbergh were horrendous and probably when I decided to pack. We followed the Garmin, where we should've followed the route sheet which would have taken us via main roads and not minuscule, gravel strewn steep lanes. What should've taken 30 minutes took well over an hour and I was ruined on rolling into control at 2320. Jason persuaded me not to quit there and then, so after pasta and a shower I set an alarm for 0500 and passed out immediately.

On waking up on day three, I was surprised to be able to walk! Unfortunately though, I couldn't stop coughing or shaking and couldn't face any breakfast. I tried to pep talk myself into a departure, but knew that my chances of finishing the day were 50/50 at very best and that if I did get round, I'd probably be into illness/injury territory. With the knowledge of having to drive 250 miles back to Wiltshire and work on Tuesday, not to mention a demanding toddler and missus who I've already pushed to the limits of understanding, the decision to save it for next year was pretty easy.

Looking at what I did wrong. I've come up with:

1. Too much too soon. A ride like this needs a properly considered approach and previous experience of riding through fatigue.
2. Probably don't ride a 300km, 6000m of climbing audax 6 days before.
3. Did a random night shift on the wednesday into thursday before the start. A good week of excellent, stable sleep required.
4. Nutrition! Should have researched the route better and planned where to control to get decent food as opposed to petrol station shite. Also an over reliance on caffeine (for energy boost, rather than purely staying awake) on day 2 caused a peak and trough cycle that was hard to break.

Overall, I'm really happy with my ride and am eager to make amends next year. Andy told me that he will be running a 2018 edition, but not a 2019. I can't wait to sign up.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #882 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:26:24 pm »
Ride debrief...complete with typos

It's fair to say that since the arrival of my kids in 2012 I've struggled to ride anything over 400km with any determination. Indeed I failed at the first sign of hardship to finish Mark Rigby's Scottish 1200 last summer. So it was with some trepidation that I entered this ride. That was back in October last year and it gave me the kick to start training by first losing 10kg to help with my climbing speed.

Forward the clock to last week and there was nothing more I could do to help me get around. All I needed was a GPX track and a train ticket to Blackpool from Brum. The later only cost £15 (I know, bargain) and @Deano came though on the first, complete with gravel sections and eating instructions. Once I had sight of the route I put together a plan. It was simple. Use the same approach I used on the 2010 Mille Cymru. 1) Be on the bike to enjoy sunrise. 2) Ride as much of the ride in daylight as most of the roads were new to me and 3) Rest as much as possible, ideally 6 hrs off the bike each night. On articulating this plan at the start, I was greated from more than a few people with teeth sucking doubts about my timings. So of we go.

Thankfully there was a group of fast powerful riders on areo enhanced bikes forgetting it was the start of a hilly 1000km ride and off we went like a club run train. Lancaster. The traffic came and went and due to knowing the road layout I was quickly on my own out front. And it stayed that way until Seascale where I joined up with Mel from Sheffield, who was planning on having 'an easy ride'. Before long that wall of a road appeared ahead. It was my first time up Hardknott. It really does deserve its reputation. I'll not be going out of my way to ride up it again anytime soon! Coming down was fun. I'd like to try that in the dry on my mountain bike with 2.3" road tires....

The afternoonticked on, showers came and went and the lakes fell behind us as the Dales could be seen approaching. Mel and I rolled in to Sedburgh at 8.30pm That would mean a good rest. So far so good. After some food, and a not unreasonable amount of faff, I was first to put my head down at about 9.30pm. I then spent the next few hours listening to everyone else putting their heads down. If I ever discover who was shacking out that foil Bivi bag..... >:(

Alarm set, breakfast eaten and I was on the road to Kielder by 3am. Sunrise was so nice. Rabbits were a bit suicidal, but that aside Id rather not have been anywhere else. First time up buttercups for me. Great climb that, then over to Tan Hill and the first of my two gravel sections to break up the tarmac. I do recommend mixing up the surfaces from time to time and I think there will be more rides doing that over the next few years.

So onwards towards Stanhope, which due to the not overly strong but defiantly persistent headwind took forever. Pizza, coffee and on towards Kielder. This section will go down as the deepest I've ever had to dig on a bike. I had a schedule to keep and come hell or high water I was going to stick to it! I arrived at the castle smashed! I pushed my food around the plate for 45 mins as I was struggling to eat or drink anything. This was my longest control stop of the weekend. Back on the bike I was looking forward to a flat, tailwind powered fast blast down the A7 and on to Sedburgh. But as we all know, that northerly was also a North Westerly, a Westerly and a South Westerly. How does the wind do that? And I'd completely failed to nice the hill over to Langholm. But, it was the new surface between Carlisle and Penrith and that wind that proved to be more problematic. Still having not eaten or drunk anything of note since Kielder I forced down half a salmon sandwich in Penrith and realised that the end of today was within reach. I managed to grit my teeth and push on. On the way past Tebay my appatite was returning and I knew what I needed. A good hoppy IPA and broccoli to go with Andy's packet pasta. So at 7.30pm I rolled in to the school and feasted! Yes, I was first back but don't think for one second I had an easy day out there. I was digging deep, really deep and somehow nothing broke, either my resolve, legs or energy. I've never had a day like it on the bike. On reflection, possibly my best ever performance. I was in bed fast asleep by 9.30pm.

I was not looking forward to day three. Andy had failed to mention that the previous days had any hills, but did say there were some on this loop. I took this as a little concerning. I woke at 2.15am and could feel day two in my lower back, remember the road surface I mentioned. Very happy with my ride of stage two, I'd happily have thrown in the towel and gone home content. But Dean, Steve and Andy incouraged me out the door. Andy told me it would take 20 hrs, because of some hills. Well, that was like a red rag to a bull. I'll be dammed if it was going to take me 20 hrs to ride a little over 300km. Not after yesterday's ride. So of I went to play with the suicidal rabbits again.

So eger was I to lay down a good time on the flat sections at the start that I went into to autopilot just watching the landscape slip past, occasionally glancing at my GPS track. It was only when I passed Masham that I suspected I was following the wrong track. Closer investigation confirmed that I was riding the return leg. In my haste to leave I'd loaded the wrong track. No way was I going to add another 50-60km and a couple of hours to today's ride to back track so I decided to ride stage three backwards. Hell, it would be nice to see the riders coming the other way at some point. The North Yorkshire Moors felt like a long time coming, but after a stop to spray on sun block the climbing stared and onwards towards the chimney I peddled. Bit step that downhill! Glad it wasn't wet. I'd love to sit halfway up that hill on a weekend with a beer and watch cyclists winch their way up it.

Somtime later I became aware of the coast and had a vague idea of where Robins Hood Bay was. I was going well, and given my distance thought I'd be there by 11am. Then I hit 'those hills' Andy had mentioned. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful part of the county, I intend to head back there with the my famaily to go exploring, but the bike will stay firmly at home. But why can't the road follow the river just like in most other parts of the country? I mean, really? I finally got to the Robins Hood Bay, but with a slightly injured left knee.

On my out of the bay Ray, followed by a few others past me the other way. They probably never knew they were so close to one another the whole section. Once off the main road out of Whitby I headed out on Deano's second 'gravel alternative'. This one proved to be a little longer and of a somwhat more 'chuncky' nature. I was a little apprehensive. I was the best part of 500 miles in to a ride, with and dodgy left knee on the wrong side of the country, and I didn't want to damage my tires. On the upside, it was a welcome alternative to the tarmac roller coaster and the view was awesome!

After a quick comfort break in the cutest public toilet (commondale) I was soon taking on a head wind with 100km to beer. Would I make it before sunset? Normally yes. But the wind didn't ease, my knee got worse and I was getting quickly bored with another terrible surface flat A road. Suddenly I found myself in Richmond and soon climbing a hill I'd not expected to be there to get back into Wensleydale. Getting back before sunset was looking out of the question. Then, as I headed through Askrigg I bumped into two friends at the end of their own ride. (Tauny and Debbie) who were down to ride this event but had not started. They were making the tea and toast at the start. After a quick chat, I was off with renewed sprit and the race against myself was on. Hawes quickly came and went, as did Garsdale Head. I've no idea how I managed to push so hard down Garsdale but it was fun, and I made it to the Spar to get olives, cheeses, bread and most importantly cold IPA.

Dinner was a good one that night shared in great company with much beer drunk. I went to bed having achieved all my goals for the ride. All that remained after a good long sleep was a spin down the Lune the next morning.

I'm still on cloud nine. It was a hard ride that I rode hard. I suffered a lot at times but in start contrast the control atmosphere was just awesome and the two balanced wonderfully. The whole weekend was perfect so thanks to everyone that played a part in making it happen. Special thanks thanks to Andy for organising, to Dean for the GPX track and gravel alternatives and Steve for being a great bloke. But could someone have words with those Rabbits.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #883 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:11:44 pm »
Dean Clementson (Deano), some readers will have guessed from the location of said footwear repairs that I followed your advice for the route.  I also made use of some of your food suggestions, so thanks.  Sadly I couldn’t try the Copshaw Kitchen in Newcastleton as I arrived around 20:30, after closing.  Also for your gift of time and effort to man the pumps and kettles, etc. at Sedbergh, along with the other volunteers.  I spoke to Steve, Martin and John (I hope your knee recovers), no doubt I have missed many of you: I’m grateful for your assistance.

You're welcome! And I'd second (or third, fourth, etc) your thanks to Andrew Fleck and everyone else at Sedbergh School who made us so welcome. It made for a great control and a great atmosphere, I reckon, including behind the scenes....

An empty hall is a happy hall:

Stand back! Engineer at work:

Vistaed arrives, then relaxes:

Checking in:

Swisshat demands more beans (possibly):

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #884 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:17:46 pm »
The final few miles to Sedbergh were horrendous and probably when I decided to pack. We followed the Garmin, where we should've followed the route sheet which would have taken us via main roads and not minuscule, gravel strewn steep lanes. What should've taken 30 minutes took well over an hour and I was ruined on rolling into control at 2320.

If it's any consolation, a couple of lads whinged at me about the climb out of the Lune Gorge on the A- and b-roads, so no-one was completely happy with the options into Sedbergh.

« Reply #885 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:19:35 pm »
Deano, wish I'd met you to thank you in person for the fantastic route and eating tips listed above. That prison cafe was so good (great VFM, fast and friendly service,  lovely setting...yes really!) that I told Andy it should IMH be the official control for Yarm, with garage for back-up control when cafe is closed.

Glad you found the tips useful - I did mention the prison to Andy last year, but he'd had about three hours' kip in two nights.

Well done on completing, and if you like, you can buy me a pint before LEL :thumbsup:

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #886 on: 11 July, 2017, 11:44:19 pm »
I was the last-but-one to finish with 30mins to go. The Mille Pennines certainly tested my audacity to the limit.

A big thank you to Joseph North who kept me positive during Sunday night, but who then suffered a cruel mechanical which ended his ride with less than 100km to go.

Thanks also to all the other rides whose company I enjoyed, and to Andy and all the other helpers.

Arthur

What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

Hing

• fabulous follies
« Reply #887 on: 12 July, 2017, 12:49:24 am »
So I am one of those DNF'ed but a very merry one. I had no idea of what I signed up for, thinking it could be training for LEL. Overlooked the gradients, started tired, underprepared, over-geared, too much faffing and struggled to eat.

Started late due to full bike reservations on Virgin Train from London, I was on my own for practically the whole ride. The first day went without much event despite already falling behind the time limit. Different glastronomical tactic this time round had a very nice burger meal in Keswick. Tackling the hardknott in the dark made it harder and the descends were a bit scary. By Sedberg people were already leaving for the 2nd loop.

Started day 2 slowly and the 4 big hills started to feel routine. While the occasional solitude in the wilderness and the kip under the sun were a pleasure, throughout the ride I never had the focus required to complete within the time limit. And to be honest in this nice weather passing by beautiful towns I am not sure I wanted to rush.

After a second lunch on the second day at Stanhope, by Blanchland people was getting ready for dinner and it was clear I will be digging very deep if I continue on. The remoteness scared me, I admit, especially I have been struggling to eat and starving at the same time. Without fuel I am nothing. In the dark there wouldn't be much to enjoy either. So at Hexham, amongst party goers I decided to pack. Accommodations in town were all full so booked a hotel near Brampton and on the way there I kept shivering despite the 12" deep pan pizza I just ate. The Gilsland Hall Hotel looks just like The Shining especially at 2am, with all the lights on and nobody in sight. Things you come across when you go off plan I guess.

While disappointed I also felt liberated. What a quick change of scenario. Made me rethink what audax means to me. Slept till the afternoon the next day then slow ride back to base. Then straight run on the flat against headwind to the finish.

The mental course covers the wildest and most exhilarating sceneries England has to offer, above the "cattle grid" line, steep hills is a fair price to pay.

The 3-loop course reminds me of the loops of the Berkley Marathon, with the fantastic Sedberg School control adding a much-welcomed homely feel that contrasts beautifully with the wilderness out there.

Thanks Andy et al for envisioning and realising this.
weird and wonderful, fabulous folly

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #888 on: 12 July, 2017, 09:32:59 am »
Reading these reports leaves me torn between being relieved I didn't enter and feeling like I missed out on something truly epic.

Definitely a ride I'd like to do one day.

Chapeau to those who finished  an incredible performance. And also to those that didn't, definitely more audacious than most rides to take a monster like this on not knowing if it is achievable.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #889 on: 12 July, 2017, 05:55:28 pm »
My first 1000k, it was hard for sure and at times I did question why am I doing this. But once back to the control being met with such kind enthusiastic people that had coffee and food ready at such unsocial times of the day made it easier to carry on.

I was pleased I did it even more pleased I finished and a big thanks to Andy and the team of helpers that made this a very memorable event.

Special thanks to Dean for the route  I love 33% hills ;-)  and That Pie that Steve G got me on Sunday night was the best I have ever tasted.

Once again thanks to all involved ;-)

Picture of me looking at Chimney bank, That last proper hard climb, I thought get up this and its not too bad to the finish ;-)

« Reply #890 on: 12 July, 2017, 09:48:23 pm »
It was my first experience of volunteering at a multi-day event and I took a lot of satisfaction from helping to keep the show on the road. It gives an even greater appreciation of the hard work Organisers put in for these events. I think it's fair to say that the additional help of Andreas and his wife doing sterling work in the kitchen on Friday night, plus Steve and John throughout the weekend, made a real difference for Andy and the rest of the team. Thanks all!

Although not riding over the w/e I DIYed to/from the event with lightweight camping gear so still got out on my bike  ;D 

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #891 on: 12 July, 2017, 11:48:56 pm »
It was my first experience of volunteering at a multi-day event and I took a lot of satisfaction from helping to keep the show on the road. It gives an even greater appreciation of the hard work Organisers put in for these events. I think it's fair to say that the additional help of Andreas and his wife doing sterling work in the kitchen on Friday night, plus Steve and John throughout the weekend, made a real difference for Andy and the rest of the team. Thanks all!

Although not riding over the w/e I DIYed to/from the event with lightweight camping gear so still got out on my bike  ;D
Thanks Swiss Hat and the whole team. So many miles and events between you, you will know our gratitude. The feeling of care when you are handed the very thing you didn't know you wanted yet, when you can hardly string coherent worms together. Great.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #892 on: 12 July, 2017, 11:52:02 pm »

There speaks a true master of understatement... SH rode 3x200 each way, so further than we did!

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #893 on: 13 July, 2017, 01:33:04 am »
Hi All. I haven't caught up with everyone's updates and ride reports above yet. Its been an extremely busy week since. But here' a link to my report below. I hope it provides an insight to ElliptiGO and Audaxing. Ultimately we all face exactly the same challenges on a ride this extreme. huge congratulations to everyone that completed the Mille Pennines. Chapeau!!!

http://ultradiscostu.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/mille-pennines-1000km-audax-elliptigo.html
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

« Reply #894 on: 13 July, 2017, 08:51:19 am »
... when you can hardly string coherent worms together.

And clearly still feeling the effects a couple of days later!... or are 'coherent worms' some Audax lingo I've not learn't yet  ;D

Congrats to all those that rode the event.  I've enjoyed reading your experiences.

Matt

« Reply #895 on: 13 July, 2017, 09:48:35 am »
are 'coherent worms' some Audax lingo I've not learn't yet 

They are now!

« Reply #896 on: 13 July, 2017, 10:07:57 am »
More than worms can say!

« Reply #897 on: 13 July, 2017, 12:44:37 pm »
Hi all, took me a little while to get a YACF account set up.  I rode most of this on my own but the highlights were chatting with others at the controls and along the way.  I definitely need to get back to Yorkshire more often, the scenery was stunning.

If anyone is interested, I've written up my ride report here: http://www.christillapaugh.com/2017/07/millie-pennines-1000km-audax.html

Thanks to Andy for putting on the event and a massive thanks to the guys helping out in the kitchen. Those cups of tea after a long day out were a massive morale booster and the beans on toast in the morning set me up for the days ahead.

« Reply #898 on: 13 July, 2017, 06:37:12 pm »
Hi all, took me a little while to get a YACF account set up.  I rode most of this on my own but the highlights were chatting with others at the controls and along the way.  I definitely need to get back to Yorkshire more often, the scenery was stunning.

If anyone is interested, I've written up my ride report here: http://www.christillapaugh.com/2017/07/millie-pennines-1000km-audax.html

Thanks to Andy for putting on the event and a massive thanks to the guys helping out in the kitchen. Those cups of tea after a long day out were a massive morale booster and the beans on toast in the morning set me up for the days ahead.

Love the write up! Sorry to hear about the garmin woes! Just have to do it again next year! Sometimes for long rides, have two garmin. One to record and the other for navigation.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #899 on: 13 July, 2017, 06:47:29 pm »
Ooh - forgot to report. For the 2nd time in 3 1000k+ events;

I have acquired an abandoned helmet. Please get in touch if you are missing it.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles