Author Topic: Bears!  (Read 5905 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Bears!
« on: 14 October, 2012, 09:41:26 pm »
or, more likely, squirrels

We got raided this weekend.  First time I've ever had animals raid food, though, so I expect I've been lucky.  The bread was fastened inside a Carradice pannier, which was inside the porch of our tent.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bears!
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:44:40 pm »
First time I've ever had animals raid food, though, so I expect I've been lucky.

What, not even ants?

Or earwigs?

I wonder if an Ortlieb would have been squirrel proof?  I imagine if sealed properly it would smell less...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:54:09 pm »
Not even been troubled by ants, funnily enough.

We've had a few earwigs (not as many as you or our friend Bill, who has been collecting earwigs for most of his camping life - he's nearly 90), but do they eat our food?  I've not noticed it.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:56:40 pm »
Actually, that's a bloody good question:  What *do* earwigs eat?  Apart from earwax of course.  They crawl into everything, but I've never actually seen one eat anything...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2012, 10:04:13 pm »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Food typically consist of a wide array of living and dead plant and animal matter.

Doesn't rule out nibbling me granary loaf from time to time, but I've not experienced it.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2012, 10:05:17 pm »
Sounds like they've never seen an earwig eat either...

« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2012, 10:12:13 pm »
I was once raided by hedgehogs at Wing (nr Rutland). Since then, when staying there, I keep my food in the inner tent.

« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2012, 11:55:20 pm »
I was once raided by hedgehogs at Wing (nr Rutland). Since then, when staying there, I keep my food in the inner tent.

Which will lead to the hedgehogs (or whatever) chewing their way into the inner tent and eating the food kept there.

mark

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2012, 12:05:12 am »
I remember a tent being raided by sheep in Glencoe who ate the butteries

« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:13:07 am »
I’ve heard of this happening; what really worried me was that apparently someone had their inner tent nibbled through by a rabbit keen to get at something, and another person had foxes trying to get into their tent at night!

I put everything that doesn’t need to be kept cool inside a sealed freezer bag inside a waterproof stuff-sack (nowhere near as tough as an Ortlieb) inside the inner and so far it’s been untroubled, though I’ve probably just been lucky. The fact that our tent probably smells of dog might help.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:16:54 am »
I remember a tent being raided by sheep in Glencoe who ate the butteries

Indeed.
They had learnt how to open tents with their noses, it seems.
Un-zipped the outer flysheet, and then opened the inner and got in and trampled the sleeping bags etc.

Fortunately, it didn't leave any 'presents'.

The same tent ( a big orange Vango Force 10 mk5 ) suffered a trampling-to-near-destruction on another occasion (also in Glencoe, I think).

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 15 October, 2012, 11:48:45 am »
or, more likely, squirrels

We got raided this weekend.  First time I've ever had animals raid food, though, so I expect I've been lucky.  The bread was fastened inside a Carradice pannier, which was inside the porch of our tent.

Hungry teenager?   ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 15 October, 2012, 11:54:32 am »
Butterfly was the youngest on site, and I don't think she'd be embarrassed if I reveal that she has left her teenage years behind.
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2012, 02:12:46 pm »
I have had my cycling snack (known to a few Lewisham cyclists) suspiciously nibbled in the porch of a night. I'd be interested in more tips to help prevent this - I'm loathe to use a plastic box - too bulky/square/awkward to pack.

I also had a hedgehog in the porch recently - I was blithely sat just outside the tent enjoying some rice/cous cous gloop and a beer at the time. Not sure why he/she ventured inside. Very cute of course.

« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2012, 02:14:14 pm »
Surely this a market for a kevlar stab/rat-proof bag?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 16 October, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »
Almost certainly squirrels.  Or rabbits.

It's why you should always include one of these in your camping kit  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 16 October, 2012, 02:25:28 pm »
I can see that parts of that might burn well if put on a fire, but it has no other uses. ;)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 16 October, 2012, 02:27:52 pm »
I would be quite prepared to have rabbit stew while camping, but I have to say it's not my favourite meat. I've never tasted squirrel, rat or badger - but I doubt that that rifle would bring down a badger in full cry.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 16 October, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »
I can see that parts of that might burn well if put on a fire, but it has no other uses. ;)

I'm fairly sure MacGyver used something similar as an improvised spanner to avert a nukular catastrophe once...

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #19 on: 16 October, 2012, 10:00:34 pm »
Had sheep eat the rubber guy line tensioners off a tent.

Been woken by an alarming scratching all around a tent and found a hedgehog walking between the fly and inner and being unable to reverse, making its way around three sides of the tent.

Been menaced when camping in East Africa by rock hyraxes seeking food - they may be small but they had long sharp teeth and remarkably beady eyes and were very, very forward.

Also in East Africa had food stolen by monkeys. They dropped most when pursued and the only bag they got away with contained shortening. The lucky monkey was pursued by its fellows, anxious to share, so the winner stuffed the lot down as fast as it could ... and was noisily sick a few minutes later  ;D

When caming in the Alps, friends I the next tent had a billy goat try and force its way in; a hefty kick to its gonads saw it off and it did not return.

Cow slobber is pretty sticky and nasty on your tent. Although the spectre of being trampled by accident is more off-putting.

Returning to the bears in the thread title, Mrs Lower Gear's family owned a cabin shack in the north woods of Minnesota where bears were an issue from time to time. Returning to the shack after a day fishing my father-in-law and his friiend could hear movement within. "Someone's stealing our stuff!" "You take the door and I'll flush him out. We'll teach him a lesson!". Before they could act, a bear climbed out through the window, taking the frame, glass and flyscreens with it...  :o   

« Reply #20 on: 22 October, 2012, 09:07:17 pm »
Actually, that's a bloody good question:  What *do* earwigs eat? 

Oh really, don't you know?

Parma Ham, Weetabix and lampshades.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 22 October, 2012, 09:12:00 pm »
That might explain why I don't have a problem with earwigs when camping.  I never have Parma ham in the tent.
Getting there...

« Reply #22 on: 22 October, 2012, 09:20:31 pm »
And you've been lucky with the lampshades, presumably.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #23 on: 22 October, 2012, 09:37:24 pm »
I was once camping adjacent to a field owned by Birds Eye, and spent about an hour shelling peas I picked there ready to boil for my supper. While I went to get water they were scoffed from the porch of my tent in about 20 seconds by a naughty horse  :facepalm:

I've since learned never to share a field with 200 sheep and a horse. The sheep never ate my peas, but every morning there were a series of lumps between the inner and outer tent which were sheep. If I hadn't been getting up at 4am anyway to do the milking, they would have woken me up 'baaaaaaaing' in my tent!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 22 October, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »
And you've been lucky with the lampshades, presumably.

I hide them where the earwigs can't find them.
Getting there...