Author Topic: PBP 2023 official video  (Read 868 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
PBP 2023 official video
« on: 03 March, 2024, 12:49:33 am »
https://youtu.be/ulqHNxYEDNc is up.

Young Steve and I make a brief appearance about 21 minutes in. Several other familiar faces pop up. The Youth PBP arrivee is shown about three minutes from the end.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: PBP 2023 official video
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2024, 07:31:58 pm »
Well....I was really smashing it at 10.20mins.......but it didn't last for the duration! lol

Parlez-vous Francais? Sadly not, but I always enjoy watching videos like these.

But it takes me so long to get through it, mainly because I keep pausing the stream when I get curious about a rider for some reason or other, grab their frame number and then go searching on the results page to see how they faired.

But here's a tale that made my day [and apologies if this is old news].

I spotted what looked like an older steel bike, at 13.24mins, managed [after multiple rewinds] to get his frame number [A067] and checked his time. The rider's name is Ben Schauland from Seattle Randonneurs....and WOW!!! what a great time.

So what is that bike? It looks like an older style conventional steel bike. After much rabbit-holing, it turns out that the bike Ben rode on PBP was a modified Trek road bike from some years back, stripped down and rebuilt by a chap called Steve Frey.

And here is a delightful short You-Tube video of Steve discussing his very basic empirical, rudimentary style of breathing new life into old frames. Mapp gas, blow torch, take me back. Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJw0uifm8g

If you don't like this video, then sorry......you don't like bikes :-)

And how did Ben fair on PBP with this 'basic' bike?
Well.........he came home after 48hrs 42mins!
Respect to you Sir.

I thought it was a great little gem of a story.
Garry Broad

« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2024, 06:30:18 pm »
Top rabbit-holing. Lovely story  :thumbsup:
#makewattsnotwar

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2024, 01:21:28 pm »
Thanks, LWAB. Brought tears to my eyes.

ETA I had a chuckle at the volunteer mechanic commenting "electronic gears, disc brakes - so many little things to go wrong. It wasn't like this four years ago".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight