Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 97130 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #100 on: 17 July, 2014, 09:35:14 am »
Poor Jess. Commiserations dibdib.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #101 on: 17 July, 2014, 06:42:56 pm »
Sorry to hear that dibdib :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #102 on: 17 July, 2014, 08:53:20 pm »
So very sorry.  :'(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #103 on: 17 July, 2014, 10:44:27 pm »
Oh dibdib I am sorry to hear this. That's horrid.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #104 on: 17 July, 2014, 10:52:04 pm »
:( Best wishes Dibdib
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #105 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:21:29 pm »
Can I join the club,Dibdib?
I am away from home and was told tonight that Tiger Sam , the cat that has been in our house for nearly 16 years died this evening. In fact he's been in 3 different houses all told but our current house is his longest .
He passed away in his favourite spot, a nest he had made under the huge clematis that grows up our boundary fence. It's  dry and he could  get into the house by the back door,which we left open for him.
He was also a rescue cat, the last of a litter of farm cats that would have been shot/drowned/run over had he not been rescued.
 For the last year he was on thyroid tablets and was getting a bit troublesome in the wee department but we all still loved him. Last night and this morning before I left it was obvious he was not right. He couldn't settle and was sleeping in a very odd but  secluded spot in my office. Mrs M was undecided about calling the vet as he seemed O.K otherwise.
I think the heat and humidity were  causing him problems as well.
 This evening he even refused butter, which was most unusual so he probably would have seen a vet tomorrow.
Anyway when the end came there was only my son to see him go, which is odd because Rich was the only one who missed what was happening to our last cat which was unfortunately put to sleep by the vet before he  had chance to say goodbye.

Rich was in floods of tears then as a 4 year old but this time round he's a bit more relaxed.
 We shall bury Tiger somewhere in the garden. We will miss him.

« Reply #106 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »
Sorry to hear the bad news, Dibdib and Madcow. :(

Pippin has spent the day at the vets getting fluids, her blood glucose went from 15 to 8 at either end of the day (with more food and no insulin, which is a bit arse about face if you ask me) and steadfastly refusing to provide a urine sample. She's staying in overnight to get more fluids and hopefully home tomorrow some time.

Insulinoma? Over-active tumour on the pancreas that produces excessive amounts of insulin at the slightest provocation. They're common in ferrets, and when we were trying to stabilise Wellesley we would feed him a syringe full of glucose before the normal food to mop up the excess insulin. A combination of steroids and sub-cutaneous testosterone kept him going happily for another many months.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #107 on: 23 July, 2014, 05:48:35 pm »
Sympathies, Madcow.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #108 on: 23 July, 2014, 05:56:54 pm »
Sorry to hear the bad news, Dibdib and Madcow. :(

Pippin has spent the day at the vets getting fluids, her blood glucose went from 15 to 8 at either end of the day (with more food and no insulin, which is a bit arse about face if you ask me) and steadfastly refusing to provide a urine sample. She's staying in overnight to get more fluids and hopefully home tomorrow some time.

Insulinoma? Over-active tumour on the pancreas that produces excessive amounts of insulin at the slightest provocation. They're common in ferrets, and when we were trying to stabilise Wellesley we would feed him a syringe full of glucose before the normal food to mop up the excess insulin. A combination of steroids and sub-cutaneous testosterone kept him going happily for another many months.

The vet did posit the idea of a pancreatic tumour, but how do you tell in a diabetic cat? Especially one that has the shits constantly and therefore obviously isn't absorbing properly.
Anyway, since I last posted the runny poos haven't cleared up and the vet said last Thursday that he suspected gastrointestinal lymphoma. She's had no insulin for 2 weeks now and had stopped eating when we last went. Last chance saloon was to try steroids, normally contraindicated in diabetic cats but as her BG was normal he gave her a short acting one for a whirl, borrowed time really before she starves.
Appetite came back with a vengeance (can't remember when I last saw her eat so much food), though it has tapered off now, and she seemed to go blind for a couple of days which I'm guessing may have been blood pressure related.
She goes back on Friday for a BG check and we'll see what the vet says then.
We're going on holidays in 3 weeks and I'll never forgive myself if she were to need to be put to sleep with strangers

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #109 on: 23 July, 2014, 05:57:29 pm »
Sorry to hear about Tiger, mad cow.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #110 on: 23 July, 2014, 07:13:45 pm »
Hope Jess is sorted soon Dibdib.

It's a long time since I treated diabetes in humans but ISTR the blood sugar would come down without insulin when patients were rehydrated. We gave them insulin as well, of course but rehydration was the major plank of much diabetic crisis management.

Ruth

« Reply #111 on: 23 July, 2014, 09:05:04 pm »
We now combine insulin with rehydration.  Dehydration being an effect of the massive diuresis associated with diabetic ketoacidosis.  I'm thinking of the management of critical DKA, mind, is that the same thing you have in mind DrHelly?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #112 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:33:08 pm »
DKA & HONK (Hyperosmolar, non-ketotic) states.
Both were given insulin but rehydration itself has remarkable effects.

Lots of saline,s watch the potassium, a little insulin WATCH THE POTASSIUM lots of saline watch the potassium check urine output... sort of thing. Rinse, repeat, keep an eye on the sugar and other electrloytes, check the blood gases but WATCH THE POTASSIUM!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #113 on: 24 July, 2014, 05:12:06 pm »
Stat.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #114 on: 24 July, 2014, 05:20:07 pm »
You had my stream of semi-consciousness there; the sleep-deprived witterings of a junior doc on auto-pilot...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #115 on: 25 July, 2014, 03:47:05 pm »
Nearly 2 weeks with no insulin and her BG was 18 which he didn't seem to think was that high because he only said to give her insulin if she started hoovering food. She's not getting any more steroids unless she stops eating again and she is pretty much blind. Plod on for now.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #116 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:34:49 pm »
I've just made the appointment for Pippin's last trip to the vet  :(

« Reply #117 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:48:03 pm »
I'm so sorry, Pingus. I can tell how much you both love that little cat. Thinking of you.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #118 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »
Sorry to hear this.  Difficult, isn't it?  But you know that it's the best for poor Pippin.
Be brave.  But don't think that you are not allowed to cry in the vet's.  We went in with poor old Pearl and the vet was very caring and understanding.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #119 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:04:49 pm »
Sorry to hear this, Pingu :-[ Have enjoyed the chronicles of Pippin and Mojo since C+ days, and know how loved she is.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #120 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:31:21 pm »
I'm sorry to hear this Pingus, I hope Pippins final trip is as swift and painless as is possible.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #121 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:23:19 pm »
Sorry to hear about Pippin's vet trip Pingus, thinking of you all.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #122 on: 12 August, 2014, 04:48:35 am »
A good innings is scant recompense for such a loss.  :'(
It is simpler than it looks.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #123 on: 12 August, 2014, 07:44:26 am »
I am so sorry to hear this and I will be thinking of you.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #124 on: 12 August, 2014, 08:28:28 am »
 :(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/