Author Topic: 2 days in Quatar - 2 British winners  (Read 3611 times)

gonzo

2 days in Quatar - 2 British winners
« on: 02 February, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »
Brad Wiggins wins stage one and ends up in the leaders jersey and then Roger Hammond takes the second stage and takes the overall.

Now we just need to see Cav take the remaining stages and I'll be a happy bunny!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: 2 days in Quatar - 2 British winners
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2009, 06:59:14 pm »
Brad Wiggins wins stage one and ends up in the leaders jersey and then Roger Hammond takes the second stage and takes the overall.

Now we just need to see Cav take the remaining stages and I'll be a happy bunny!

Cav 1 Boonen 0 so far in the direct head to heads.
Shame about yesterdays puncture.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2009, 07:38:50 pm »
Nice to see our Rog winning a stage  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2009, 07:39:43 pm »
Cav's win made BBC1 news tonight ( News Channel ) - I was gobsmacked.  Pleased but very surprised.  Not video footage, just a still of one of his TdF wins in the old Columbia blue kit.  Still impressive to make mainstream news though.  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2009, 11:34:03 am »
Bad news from the race.  Frederiek Nolf, a young rider I've not heard off before, has died in his sleep  :'(  Unsurprisingly, his team have pulled out of the race and I cannot begin to imgaine how they're all feeling.  A post mortem will take place in Belgian. 
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

David Martin

« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »
The same happened to a friend of mine at not very much older (mid 20's). Just died in his sleep without any warning. Left a wife and two young kids.

It is very sad, but unfortunately it sometimes just happens.

..d

« Reply #6 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:14:16 pm »

Just happens, but to this casual observer a little too often to fit young men who race bikes for a living.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #7 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:33:17 pm »
In the book about Pantani they talk about wearing HRM to bed so that when their HRs go down to a dangerous level they can get up and get on their bikes on rollers etc. to work out - AT NIGHT !!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8 on: 06 February, 2009, 08:05:07 am »
In the book about Pantani <snip> get on their bikes on rollers etc. to work out - AT NIGHT !!
Wasn't that more to do with EPO induced sludging up of the blood vessels?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #9 on: 06 February, 2009, 08:07:39 am »
In the book about Pantani <snip> get on their bikes on rollers etc. to work out - AT NIGHT !!
Wasn't that more to do with EPO induced sludging up of the blood vessels?
::-)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

David Martin

« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2009, 10:08:23 am »

Just happens, but to this casual observer a little too often to fit young men who race bikes for a living.

Perception. Do you have any stats to support your assertion/inference or is it just reading into it what you want to?

..d

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2009, 10:43:02 am »
Denis Zanette (Italy)

Died January 11 2003, aged 32

Zanette, right, collapsed after visiting the dentist. Instantly linked to the use of the blood-booster EPO, which led to an outcry in Italy and demands for stricter drug controls.

Marco Ceriani (Italy)

Died May 5 2003, aged 16

An elite amateur, Ceriani experienced a heart attack during a race, was admitted to hospital in a coma, and failed to recover consciousness.

Fabrice Salanson (France)

Died June 3 2003, aged 23

Died of a heart attack in his sleep. Was found by his room mate in their team hotel. Had been about to compete in the Tour of Germany.

Marco Rusconi (Italy)

Died November 14 2003, aged 24

Rusconi was leaving the party of a friend when he collapsed and died in a shopping centre car park.

Jose Maria Jimenez (Spain)

Died December 6 2003, aged 32

Died from a heart attack in a psychiatric hospital in Madrid. Had retired two years previously but consistently claimed a comeback was imminent.

Michel Zanoli (Netherlands)

Died December 29 2003, aged 35

Zanoli, who retired in 1997, was 35 when he suffered a fatal heart attack.

Johan Sermon (Belgium)

Died February 15 2004, aged 21

Suffered an apparent heart failure in his sleep. Had reportedly gone to bed early to prepare for an eight-hour training ride.

This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

gonzo

« Reply #12 on: 06 February, 2009, 12:36:28 pm »
Cardiologists sees doping unlikely

Meersman added that the death came without apparent warning. "He never complained about heart problems or anything like that. He always said that he had a V6-engine under his cap."

Nolf even had two cardio tests recently. "I know some people will use this opportunity to draw conclusions that can't be drawn. This was a natural death," Meersman said.

Pedro Brugada, cardiologist at the university clinic in Jette, agreed with the assessment. "It is unlikely it was a doping related death. The teams don't take these kinds of risks anymore," Brugada said to Het Nieuwsblad. It was likely a hereditary problem. "A gene that regulates the heart beat was probably defect and that resulted in the heart suddenly stopping to beat."

From cyclingnews

David Martin

« Reply #13 on: 06 February, 2009, 01:56:17 pm »
And Cav takes the final stage. Cav is flying again this season.

..d

« Reply #14 on: 06 February, 2009, 07:14:46 pm »

Perception. Do you have any stats to support your assertion/inference or is it just reading into it what you want to?

..d

No stats or any other evidence whatsoever. I stated quite clearly "To this casual observer" and it is certainly not something that I wish to read into anything.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #15 on: 06 February, 2009, 08:10:53 pm »
Cardiologists sees doping unlikely

Meersman added that the death came without apparent warning. "He never complained about heart problems or anything like that. He always said that he had a V6-engine under his cap."

Nolf even had two cardio tests recently. "I know some people will use this opportunity to draw conclusions that can't be drawn. This was a natural death," Meersman said.

Pedro Brugada, cardiologist at the university clinic in Jette, agreed with the assessment. "It is unlikely it was a doping related death. The teams don't take these kinds of risks anymore," Brugada said to Het Nieuwsblad. It was likely a hereditary problem. "A gene that regulates the heart beat was probably defect and that resulted in the heart suddenly stopping to beat."

From cyclingnews

Good news I reckon.  I would like a clear toxicology report from the PM and then I would honestly feel sorry for doubting him.