Author Topic: Men's Elite Road Race - WoooHooo  (Read 2921 times)

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
Men's Elite Road Race - WoooHooo
« on: 27 September, 2009, 04:56:19 pm »
May Contain spoilers.

Yahhooooo

I just may have to buy me some hoops.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Re: Men's Elite Road Race - WoooHooo
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2009, 05:18:31 pm »
Never been a big fan of Evans but got to admit that was pretty damn impressive. I was horrified when Vino attacked and it looked for a wee while like he might get away - can you imagine the press reaction if the World Champ was a guy who'd just returned from a drugs ban?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2009, 06:41:26 pm »
Never been a big fan of Evans but got to admit that was pretty damn impressive. I was horrified when Vino attacked and it looked for a wee while like he might get away - can you imagine the press reaction if the World Champ was a guy who'd just returned from a drugs ban?
I'll second that. Great ride by Evans, rode a perfect race and had the legs at the end to do the talking.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:13:03 pm »
Evans  now has an excuse for a crap season at last. The curse of the rainbow jersey.

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »
" I was horrified when Vino attacked and it looked for a wee while like he might get away - can you imagine the press reaction if the World Champ was a guy who'd just returned from a drugs ban?"

I must have missed something - I thought he'd SERVED his ban? And at least he was the most likely of all the competitors to be clean.

I assume you think everyone who's ever done time should never work again.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

rdaviesb

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2009, 10:54:23 pm »
My positioning on Vino has been made clear on this forum before. I do not welcome his, or Kashekins return, until they proactively take an anti doping stance. Evans final attack was fantastic.  Eurosport's failure to show the medal ceremony was, as Harmon said, bollocks.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2009, 11:00:06 pm »
They did show most of the podium later. I think it was because they waited for the main bunch to finish before starting the ceremony. But Harmon's outburst was very funny!

rdaviesb

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2009, 11:03:19 pm »
 ::-) ..by that time I had hit the red button and started listening to Mr Porter. Rob Hayles ain't the greatest commentary partner, and I see that Sean is learning more of the ropes. At one point he even let us know that a commercial break was coming up. Tee'd it up with a very Duffers like aplomb!

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2009, 11:06:16 pm »
They did show most of the podium later. I think it was because they waited for the main bunch to finish before starting the ceremony. But Harmon's outburst was very funny!

It wasn't just the main bunch they were waiting for, but the broom wagon. The last riders in, just ahead, got a resounding cheer.

And of course, the MC has to build up to the medal ceremony in several languages...

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2009, 11:07:57 pm »
Rob Hayles ain't the greatest commentary partner

Indeed.

When I see things like this I am reminded that Liggett & Sherwin aren't so bad after all.

« Reply #10 on: 27 September, 2009, 11:13:22 pm »
Methinks Rob Hayles needs to be dope tested.

For Mogadon. ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2009, 09:41:35 am »
Evans  now has an excuse for a crap season at last. The curse of the rainbow jersey.

I couldn't believe that

1) Evans had launched an attack
2) Said attack was at exactly the right moment

And neither could the other competitors.  They weren't expecting that.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2009, 12:11:26 pm »
Cancellara could probably have done it, but he left it far too late.

I switched on during that commercial break, and assumed that Harmon was off sick or something. The thought of a Kelly-only commentary filled me with horror I'm afraid! Marks off for Harmon as well for not using the correct Duffieldism "Sorry dear viewer, I had to go and see a man about a dog"

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2009, 10:27:32 am »
Like others, I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. Cadel Evans attacking. Surely I must be mistaken? But no, that was Evans and he was attacking. And winning. Respect. Cadel Evans, the snapping Jack Russell who finally proved his pedigree.

It's a major shame for Cancellara that the fairytale didn't come true, but it was clear no one was willing to work with him when he was attacking on the final lap.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #14 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:19:51 am »
Really good race, lots of action on a "sporting" course with 10+ riders in contention at the bell, excellent.

And great to see Evans win, loved seeing him all emotional over his wife's shoulder, shows just how much it meant to a guy who is reputedly very shy and doesn't relish the press attention.

Do think the criticism of him as a non-attacker is a bit unfair - he persistently has by far the weakest team of any tour contender and rides brilliantly within those limitations (and his own  strengths/weaknesses)
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #15 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:24:32 am »
It wasn't just the main bunch they were waiting for, but the broom wagon. The last riders in, just ahead, got a resounding cheer.

I loved that little touch with two brooms stuck up in the air on the back of the broom wagon!  ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #16 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:36:59 am »
Do think the criticism of him as a non-attacker is a bit unfair - he persistently has by far the weakest team of any tour contender and rides brilliantly within those limitations (and his own  strengths/weaknesses)

Hmm well Dennis Menchov has a similar problem but has managed to win 2 grand tours.
His campaign to win the Tour of Spain a few years ago vs Heras was legendary imho.

He isn't a big attacker either and has a major weakness in his descending ability.  I get the impression that Cadel can't inspire his team, he can't work with what he has got.

« Reply #17 on: 29 September, 2009, 02:36:40 pm »
Agreed - if you are saying what I think you are saying! That Menchov is just as "passive" as Evans but Evans gets labelled as non-aggressive where Menchov doesn't so much.

And I think you may be correct in saying that Evans doens't inspire his team, goes with his (alleged) shyness, suspect he really needs a road captain alongside him to marshall the troops.
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'