Author Topic: 2012 Mersey Roads 24TT  (Read 39539 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: 2012 Mersey Roads 24TT
« Reply #50 on: 12 July, 2012, 09:51:46 am »
Clapping, cheering and a bit of light-hearted abuse is good too ;D
Something that I noticed last year (your head does odd things on a long ride) was sullen helpers standing on the kerbside in the middle of nowhere. Usually holding a bottle, just staring over my head down miles of empty road.

Seeing the same miserable sods lap-after-lap got a bit depressing. I hope they enjoyed their weekend.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #51 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:32:19 am »
Clapping, cheering and a bit of light-hearted abuse is good too ;D
Something that I noticed last year (your head does odd things on a long ride) was sullen helpers standing on the kerbside in the middle of nowhere. Usually holding a bottle, just staring over my head down miles of empty road.

Seeing the same miserable sods lap-after-lap got a bit depressing. I hope they enjoyed their weekend.

The same thought probably occurred to them . . .

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #52 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:24:15 am »
Anyone else staying at Wrexham Travelimbo on the friday?

Yep. Gurl Trikie (No 7)  reporting for duty

I'll be about from early evening after Chris has dropped me off, then looking for food - probably curry based to tempt fate.

----------------------------

Jes

« Reply #53 on: 12 July, 2012, 07:16:28 pm »

I'll be about from early evening after Chris has dropped me off, then looking for food - probably curry based to tempt fate.

Yes, let's meet up and go foraging although I might give the curry a miss as the last time I had curry and then tried to ride fast (relative term) I was very nearly  :sick: in the trike pilot's jersey pockets....

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:25:45 pm »
I've just booked into "Kingsmarsh" on the A-road just E of Farndon. (Apparently a "scottish cyclist" is also booked in, and is a regular ... )

So I'd be up for grub+beer preferably East of Wrexham, but will travel for something special (!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #55 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:32:43 pm »
I suspect that said "Scottish cyclist" is known to us. I think he is planning to hook up with Mrs eck, McNasty, bodach and me on Friday evening at the Chester South Hoddleday Inn.
How special it will be, I've no idea.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #56 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:06:32 pm »
We're at the racecourse one.

Bairn Again

« Reply #57 on: 15 July, 2012, 10:18:26 am »
I suspect that said "Scottish cyclist" is known to us. I think he is planning to hook up with Mrs eck, McNasty, bodach and me on Friday evening at the Chester South Hoddleday Inn.
How special it will be, I've no idea.

aye thats me.  used it twice before (= a regular) and its very handy especially at the finish. 

Depending on when I actually get away from edinburgh on friday i might head to the travelodge for a catch up friday pm. 

« Reply #58 on: 15 July, 2012, 11:27:49 pm »
Just thinking about kit to take - what is the done thing with numbers if weather conditions mean you have to wear waterproofs?

Obviously safety pinning numbers onto the sleeves and back of a Goretex jacket isn't ideal, which means that if they still have to be on show then an older sacrificial jacket or a pertex showerproof one may be in order rather than a Welsh Audax quality one.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 16 July, 2012, 08:27:09 am »
Gilet*!  I wore mine in the cooler periods, then over a thin rain-jacket when I got ill+cold, marshalls didn't moan at me and I didn't miss any laps - I think I put the back number on only.

Remember to shout your number at every marshall (even if they don't appear to be noting it - it's just a good habit  O:-) )

As the weather is almost bound to be showery this year I'm open to further suggestions - you could waste a lot of time climbing in and out of various layers.

(I wouldn't stick pins in Pertex, surely it's no more pinproof than Goretex?)

*I use mine on (part of) every Audax, it's just habit now.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 16 July, 2012, 08:35:33 am »
+1 = PBP gilet, over whatever is right for the temparature and degree of wetness. The most I've ever worn on a wet summer tt is relective gilet over waterproof gilet over jersey, arm-warmers etc, but its reassuring to have the option of full waterproofs, maybe even rainlegs - if cold AND wet etc....

I might even wear sandals :facepalm:

« Reply #61 on: 16 July, 2012, 09:17:46 am »
(I wouldn't stick pins in Pertex, surely it's no more pinproof than Goretex?)

The thinking there is that I have an Altura pertex-style jacket that I don't tend to wear at all - except very rarely when MTBing when I don't want to risk my proper waterproofs. As it really only acts as additional windproofing when properly wet then I'd not be worried about a couple of pin holes.

But if marshalls are happy with a single number visible on your back in poor weather (given that you get into the habit of yelling numbers anyway) then a proper waterproof and PBP hiviz may be the way.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 16 July, 2012, 01:17:00 pm »
Anyone that knows me will unsurprised by this topic:
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70653&view=getnewpost

For anyone that isn't bored by the issue:

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jes

« Reply #63 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:05:17 pm »
Does anyone have a route sheet, start sheet or event HQ info yet?

Was expecting something on the email or by post but nothing as yet and it's getting a little bit close...

The RTTC site doesn't have course details or HQ details and that's what I need.

Please post or PM if you can help

Thank you

Trikie in a Tizz

Bairn Again

« Reply #64 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:13:33 pm »
Does anybody know the times at which riders will be switched between the circuits?

From memory riders switch from Quina to Shawbirch at about 21.30, back again about 7.30am then off to the finish circuit about 10.30am.   

Im off at 14.32 (#92) significantly later start than opn previous occasions = more time on the lumpier finish circuit.

ps - Matt - I understand from Exit Stage left that riders use a particular confuguration of flashing / non flashing  front lights so that support crews know that its "their rider" approaching as they peer down the road in the dark.   

pps - start sheet here       http://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Default.aspx?&ge390__geka=8sW2Q7VKZmF8CUWP7ygm7riwpLFKNCEAIlX03Hp4_FhPDrktfqfkoQzxx15QQk__LJO6vHkx-_V4xg5asR2FWg&ge390__gevi=bkosVTEcmXX5ekdECVvBmA&gv391__gvac=2&gv391__gvff0=4071&gv391__gvfl0=0&language=en-GB&tabid=62

route sheet here - http://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=4jdSR0pDqjQ%3d&tabid=202

theres no info controls  ;)

Jes

« Reply #65 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:21:07 pm »
[route sheet here - http://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=4jdSR0pDqjQ%3d&tabid=202

theres no info controls  ;)
[/quote]

;D ;D

You can tell I'm new at this TT stuff.
No CAIK stops either .....what's that all about?

Thank you for links.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #66 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:24:04 pm »
also handy is Oranj's Flickr Map http://www.flickr.com/photos/oranjh/3752418410/

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #67 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:25:12 pm »

Yes, let's meet up and go foraging although I might give the curry a miss as the last time I had curry and then tried to ride fast (relative term) I was very nearly  :sick: in the trike pilot's jersey pockets....

Chinese it is then  :thumbsup:

Jes

« Reply #68 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:30:57 pm »

Chinese it is then  :thumbsup:

;D Perfect!!

« Reply #69 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:31:43 pm »

No CAIK stops either ..

Er...remind me who's supporting you.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #70 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:34:20 pm »
ps - Matt - I understand from Exit Stage left that riders use a particular confuguration of flashing / non flashing  front lights so that support crews know that its "their rider" approaching as they peer down the road in the dark.   

Good point, but I saw at least one with just a flashing front. I don't know how he rode with it. It was aimed about 3' infront of him so was no bother to other road-users - except perhaps those affected by strobes!

But anyway, it's the over-bright stuff that is the real problem. As i said, flashers are more of a problem in the bunches on PBP etc.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #71 on: 16 July, 2012, 03:14:04 pm »

It tends to work better the other way round, with the support vehicle displaying a distinctive pattern of lights, so the rider can recognise it. The serious contenders are passed by their support vehicles every 10 miles, which the rules allow, so the rider doesn't always know where they will be. The Mersey Roads course has become more compact, so many support crews stay at set points, at Prees Heath for the Quina Brook circuit and Espley for the night circuit.
The night circuit tends to close between 7 and 8am, and riders might be turned round at Tern Hill or Espley, and not head down to Shawbirch, that's especially true of slower riders. It's easy to lose track of riders at that point, and when they're sent down to the finishing circuit, especially when you have more than one rider to look after. Regarding cake, the favoured item is Egg Custards, which are dispensed at the Espley feed, along with bacon rolls.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 16 July, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »
Totally OT:
A petrol-head friend did a 24hr kart race. Lighting was not great on much of the circuit, the karts were identical, as were many of the protective overalls and helmets. They ended up attaching bike lights (flashing red LEDS mainly) to their kart to solve the problem of spotting their rider driver approaching the pits.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #73 on: 17 July, 2012, 01:07:50 pm »
Anyone that knows me will unsurprised by this topic:
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70653&view=getnewpost

It really has kicked off big time over there. Never before have I been insulted by such a high-profile rider - great stuff! If you like a good online spat, please have a look. Li****ng-related rants should perhaps be ring-fenced over there too.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #74 on: 17 July, 2012, 01:25:15 pm »
Hoppo has always been a loudmouth without any thought behind it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...