Author Topic: Survivors remake  (Read 30167 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Survivors remake
« Reply #125 on: 25 November, 2008, 11:08:47 pm »
I was on the edge of my seat with that one! Fantastic! Next week's episode looks even better.

The bit with the secret bunker reminded me of Lost before it went silly.

gonzo

« Reply #126 on: 26 November, 2008, 11:10:38 am »
Wind turbines next week will presumably offer something different to what would have been seen years ago?

border-rider

« Reply #127 on: 26 November, 2008, 11:47:17 am »
I hope they know how to use 11 kV  :)

« Reply #128 on: 26 November, 2008, 11:52:25 am »
I'm finding myself wondering what sort of time scale the series is progressing along. After two episodes, how long has it been since the outbreak? Days or weeks?

« Reply #129 on: 26 November, 2008, 11:56:56 am »
A few weeks I think.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #130 on: 26 November, 2008, 12:47:09 pm »
Slightly OT....

I was sent home yesterday with a bad cold (Man Flu) my nearest and dearest spent the whole evening asking about lumps under the arms, whether I was goingto survive long enough to watchthe programme and how she was going to spend the insurance!

Nice to know she cares!

Then I fell asleep and missed it!

simonp

« Reply #131 on: 26 November, 2008, 11:28:08 pm »
I have a lump under my RIGHT arm.

Should I be worried?  ::-)

alan

« Reply #132 on: 27 November, 2008, 08:58:45 am »
See your doctor unless the lump is your wallet

annie

« Reply #133 on: 27 November, 2008, 09:06:01 am »
I have a lump under my RIGHT arm.

Should I be worried?  ::-)

Go to the docs. :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #134 on: 27 November, 2008, 10:48:11 pm »
I don't like the new Survivors.

It took me a while to realise what it was. Then it dawned on me. In the original series, it was so raw, badly acted and basic, it felt "real" - almost like a documentary, like something that someone had shot with their own camera. It made it real and I was able to empathise, and was genuinely spooked by it.

The new one - it's Just another End of World film much like I am Legend. It's polished, glitzy and too, well unbelievable.

There were a couple of episodes in the original first series, that were shown to us at school; as part of our Sociology studies (what would now be PSE). One was the episode "Law and Order" where they executed someone.

Frankly, I can't see the current series being so ground breaking, and I probably won't bother with the rest - I've seen it all before... :(

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #135 on: 28 November, 2008, 09:00:36 am »
I think it's a bit early to tell whether it will take any risks yet. I hope given its post-9pm slot that it will. If is doesn't I will be disappointed. Anyway, for every 'Law and Order' there were at least two episodes of the original Survivors that were about planting vegetables!

Really Ancien

« Reply #136 on: 28 November, 2008, 09:07:42 am »
I think it's a bit early to tell whether it will take any risks yet. I hope given its post-9pm slot that it will. If is doesn't I will be disappointed. Anyway, for every 'Law and Order' there were at least two episodes of the original Survivors that were about planting vegetables!

Actually in a 'Survivors' society we would all squabble about who had memorised all the Trivial Pursuit questions and play a hell of a lot of Pictionary.

Damon.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #137 on: 28 November, 2008, 09:24:09 am »

I thought that yon vapid girly and Broke-Leg Bob had plenty of risk about it - I quite liked how we were initially lead to think that she was a strumpet and Bob an oaf, then that she was a victim and Bob a predator, and we're still not sure either way.  That sort of sexual trade is a quite real and squicky prospect in a PAW. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #138 on: 28 November, 2008, 10:14:31 am »
I think the whole sexual tension angle is very well done. There's always an undercurrent - the doctor-crim-playboy triangle, the undeniable allure of a leader (Abby). In a PAW, people will still want to shag each other, possibly even more than usual.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #139 on: 28 November, 2008, 12:02:58 pm »

I thought that yon vapid girly and Broke-Leg Bob had plenty of risk about it - I quite liked how we were initially lead to think that she was a strumpet and Bob an oaf, then that she was a victim and Bob a predator, and we're still not sure either way.  That sort of sexual trade is a quite real and squicky prospect in a PAW. 

That's true - and I think it's worth bearing in mind that it would take a bit of time for all the enforced kinds of inhibitions to break down amongst adults or mutate into new forms... it's the kids I would be scared of. City of God anyone?

Martin

« Reply #140 on: 02 December, 2008, 10:55:55 pm »
It was much better this week

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #141 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:00:35 pm »
I don't like the new Survivors.

It took me a while to realise what it was. Then it dawned on me. In the original series, it was so raw, badly acted and basic, it felt "real" - almost like a documentary, like something that someone had shot with their own camera. It made it real and I was able to empathise, and was genuinely spooked by it.

The new one - it's Just another End of World film much like I am Legend. It's polished, glitzy and too, well unbelievable.

There were a couple of episodes in the original first series, that were shown to us at school; as part of our Sociology studies (what would now be PSE). One was the episode "Law and Order" where they executed someone.

Frankly, I can't see the current series being so ground breaking, and I probably won't bother with the rest - I've seen it all before... :(

I think we've just had the "Law and Order" episode, so the current series probably is as groundbreaking.  :)

I didn't see the original, but I'm being quite adequately spooked by the current one. 

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #142 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:03:56 pm »
I'm enjoying it but I'm missing the 'survival' bit. As has been said, nobody amongst the central group seems to be thinking about defence, food, water, power etc. I wouldn't want that side of it to be neglected completely at the expense of the human relations side. I'm sure it will come in future episode.

I enjoyed the trial, I wonder how long it would be before courts, crime, sentences etc. would emerge.

bikenerd

« Reply #143 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:10:32 pm »
Does anyone know where the main location was this week, with Abby and the ex-minister?  Some sort of alternative energy centre?
And does anyone know what the aerial shot of the "secret facility" is actually of?  The place where they're cooking up the vaccine.

We're enjoying it muchly.  Some good TV on at the moment such as the Devil's Whore over on Channel 4.

Martin

« Reply #144 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:12:26 pm »
Does anyone know where the main location was this week, with Abby and the ex-minister?  Some sort of alternative energy centre?

probably the CAT; went there about 15 years ago; seems a lot bigger now

Centre for Alternative Technology Home Page

although it might just be the Coed y Brenin visitor centre

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #145 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:14:03 pm »
Unless they have completely rebuilt it I don't think it was CAT. There are other ecology type places these days, it might have been one of them.

Martin

« Reply #146 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:15:43 pm »
maybe; this is a BBC Manchester production (ish) so round those parts?

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #147 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:19:53 pm »
Of course it could have been a composite of many sites, the main refectory type room could have been anywhere but the amphitheatre wasn't anything I recognised from CAT. I am ashamed to admit that I never thought of the obvious survival ploy of making for a ready made eco site. Having said that, there might be a bit of hostile competition for such ready made infrastructures.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #148 on: 03 December, 2008, 08:22:25 am »
I think my plans under such circumstances would very much depend on exactly what sort of percentage of people had survived the virus.  ISTR the scientists in the SEEKRIT BUNKER talking about "less than 1%" but that's still 600,000 people.  Way too many for me to be considering anything other than making for a very remote, very secure location for a few years.

Given that the survivor attrition rate would be monumentally high in the first six months, I'd be comfortable traveling about a bit after a couple of years (if I made it).  Shame that by that stage, most of the good stuff would be looted, burned and otherwise spoiled.

This series is quite good, but I'd like to see more emphasis on the practical problems that they're starting to face (lack of water, electricity and fresh food).  The storyline is concentrating almost completely on the human and emotional struggle, leaving the practical to one side.

Having said that, I suppose it doesn't make as good telly.  It's like I'm a nonentity, in as much as nobody cares what they're going through sleeping out inna wet jungle.  They're more interested in whether the model with the big tits is going to snog the vacuous ex-boy band member...

::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #149 on: 03 December, 2008, 08:29:21 am »
I would like to see a bit more realism as well. The ex minister in her pressed white trouser suit and perfectly groomed hair looked a bit ridiculous. Even more silly is the state of those who have no electricity, how exactly are they managing to iron their clothes every day?

Having said that, I can't wait for the next episode.